Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,394,640 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Local Trouble

Huggs

Huggs

People have already made up their minds. It's way too late in the game. Suppression of speech on the subject will significantly reinforce anti-vax beliefs and give new talking points to the loudest voices.

And I think it's fundamentally a bad move that invites abuse. One day it's anti-vax content that gets the boot. The next day it's any movement that disagrees with a certain political opinion.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

At what point do you think they'll cave in and take their medicine?  How many have to die?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 29, 2021, 10:49:28 PM
At what point do you think they'll cave in and take their medicine?

"Lol", he said. "Lmao"

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Just imagine what another year of "dying of Covid to own the libs" will look like.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/herman-cain-award-reddit-anti-vax-b1929219.html

Huggs

Huggs

At what point do you think they'll cave in and take their medicine?

They won't. They'll just keep justifying their choice by spouting BS they heard on the internet and Tucker Carlson. They know it's BS, but it sounds more informed and less embarrassing than having to say, "I just don't trust it".

How many have to die?

Covid isn't the end of our species. But there's a balancing act we have to figure out. I don't believe that people should get fired for refusing the vaccine, unless they work in healthcare. And they should be allowed to believe whatever they want, regardless of how contrary it is to reality. But people who suffer other medical events shouldn't risk dying simply because the hospitals were full of unvaccinated covid patients.

Maybe we'll have to start thinking about rationing care. But I don't support forcing people to choose between the vaccine and their livelihoods, or shutting down free speech. Allowing things to be done out of fear is what got us the patriot act, a 20 year war, and all the other bullshit that came after.

Let somebody force people to do things or control what people can say during one crisis, all they have to do later is pick their favorite political issue, rebrand it as a public health crisis, and go to town. It's every politicians dream.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Just let natural selection do its job.  :laugh:

Edit - That of course includes killing me with high spice doritos.  :-X

(^x🐽x)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Freedom of speech doesn't guarantee you a platform to spread it on. Anti-Vax people can still say and think what they want, but Youtube isn't required to give a bullhorn to speech that is a danger to public health.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 30, 2021, 01:47:35 AM
Freedom of speech doesn't guarantee you a platform to spread it on. Anti-Vax people can still say and think what they want, but Youtube isn't required to give a bullhorn to speech that is a danger to public health.

That may be, but it doesn't mean that I or anyone else has to be (or should be) okay with it. I don't merrily go along with censorship, not for any reason. Especially in this new age of McCarthyism that we call "wokeism" and "cancel culture". I support free speech, no matter how incorrect, crude, or contrary to science or my own opinions or beliefs it may be.

I don't understand people and organizations who don't. It's like people who say they're okay with anti-abortion rallies, but not ones for racial justice because, "oh, they'll probably just riot". Either you support the right to free speech or you don't. There's no middle ground. I support it. That's why I don't support what youtube is doing, even though what the anti-vaxxers continue saying is wrong.

And to be fair, when it comes to vaccines, I seem to remember someone else didn't trust the guy in charge either.

But that's the beauty of free speech.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

When a belief can damage the physical and mental integrity of other people, governments must intervene. The free speech is so overrated, and it carries great risk. I don't see the world in black and white, and I think that sometimes limits are necessary.

Huggs

Huggs

And I wholeheartedly support your right to say that jonesy.

;)

SiL

SiL

What YouTube is doing isn't against free speech. As was stated, free speech does not grant you a platform.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 30, 2021, 02:58:14 AM
And to be fair, when it comes to vaccines, I seem to remember someone else didn't trust the guy in charge either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dAjCeMuXR0

I'm not sure how equivalent that is.  The anti-vaxxers don't need to trust Biden.  They aren't even listening to the public health professionals and the doctors, which Harris said she would do.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 30, 2021, 03:12:13 AM
When a belief can damage the physical and mental integrity of other people, governments must intervene. The free speech is so overrated, and it carries great risk. I don't see the world in black and white, and I think that sometimes limits are necessary.

This is complete bullshit, but (bizarrely) I'm going to echo Huggs and say it's your right to be 200% wrong.

Note that in light of recent events on this very forum, I'll point out that this is a private dictatorship, not a free nation.

Quote from: SiL on Sep 30, 2021, 03:53:23 AM
What YouTube is doing isn't against free speech. As was stated, free speech does not grant you a platform.

This isn't entirely fair given that certain platforms are closer to essential infrastructure at this point, and kicking dipshits off them just creates ever-more extreme dipshits who you can't keep tabs on as easily.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed