AvP Galaxy Fan Commentary: Aliens vs. Predator Requiem (Unrated)!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 20, 2020, 08:10:34 PM

Author
AvP Galaxy Fan Commentary: Aliens vs. Predator Requiem (Unrated)! (Read 20,804 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I very much enjoyed it, but I do believe AVPR's the worst film in either franchise series, with AVP not far away from it I don't think it's worthwhile to transfer them to 4K Blu-ray, if we ever revisit AVP as a concept on film, I don't think any benefit exists to returning to the continuity of AVP/AVPR/The Predator/AVP 2010.

ModMonkey

I'm definitely in the camp with RidgeTop of taking this movie at face value and enjoying it for what it is. Been hearing about you guys wanting to do this for a while and was thrilled to see it suddenly appear in my podcast feed today, especially since I literally just purchased AVP:R on BD yesterday. It appears it was meant to be.

Overall a decent first go at it, although I think you guys shit on the movie a lot more than you seem to think you did. Kind of made it less enjoyable for me than I would have liked but I understand that most people within the fandom really hate this movie and I am in a very small minority.

Considering all the research and your guys' extensive knowledge of the original script et al I was also surprised there was less background information on the film and behind-the-scenes stuff discussed.

Anyway, RidgeTop, don't despair. You're not alone out there in enjoying this movie and I agree that a 4K with new colour timing and additional content would be cool to see. I'm a sucker for commentaries and truly hope you all continue with the other 11 films across the franchises.

The Old One

The Old One

No word strong enough to describe my feelings on the film and it's Directors, loathe comes close though, not a single redeeming aspect I've not witnessed and liked more elsewhere.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: ModMonkey on Mar 22, 2020, 07:09:35 PM
Anyway, RidgeTop, don't despair. You're not alone out there in enjoying this movie and I agree that a 4K with new colour timing and additional content would be cool to see.

My man!!

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Their voices are pleasant to hear as usual. Keep it up  8)

I'm definitely in the camp with RidgeTop of taking this movie at face value and enjoying it for what it is.

I'd say AVPR is like Critters (1986) taking itself too seriously: alien rampage on a small town with space cleaners kicking the alien asses. There is even a glimpse of an extraterrestrial place, and an alpha Critter so to speak; which is bigger and stronger  :laugh:

But I guess The Blob (1958) is a better compassion. I'm in the minority, but I don't like the easy way in which Wolf kills the Aliens, and the horrendous designs of such Aliens as well.

Wysps

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 22, 2020, 08:01:58 PM
Their voices are pleasant to hear as usual. Keep it up  8)

I'm definitely in the camp with RidgeTop of taking this movie at face value and enjoying it for what it is.

I'd say AVPR is like Critters (1986) taking itself too seriously: alien rampage on a small town with space cleaners kicking the alien asses. There is even a glimpse of an extraterrestrial place, and an alpha Critter so to speak; which is bigger and stronger  :laugh:

But I guess The Blob (1958) is a better compassion. I'm in the minority, but I don't like the easy way in which Wolf kills the Aliens, and the horrendous designs of such Aliens as well.

Yes  :laugh: I will forever love the AVPR : Critters comparison. I haven't watched Critters in a longtime, but I distinctly remember the camp and how it made me feel. And I get those same feelings watching AVPR lol.

Voodoo Magic

I can run with RidgeTop's Blob comparison...

Corporal Hicks

Considering all the research and your guys' extensive knowledge of the original script et al I was also surprised there was less background information on the film and behind-the-scenes stuff discussed.

I actually found it quite hard to get a full knowledge drop thing off, with the conversation constantly shifting based on the actual footage. Was a strange thing to edit too.

Overall a decent first go at it, although I think you guys shit on the movie a lot more than you seem to think you did. Kind of made it less enjoyable for me than I would have liked but I understand that most people within the fandom really hate this movie and I am in a very small minority.

Fair enough. Really didn't feel like it, but I guess it was never going to be free of some complaints given the film.

Philip green

This film makes the first avp film seem a lot better  which in all honesty could have been a lot worse than what we ended up with to be honest
Great podcast and great site gentlemen
Big thumbs up

Darkness

Hi Xenomorphine. The quote about colour grading came from me after Colin had told me privately.

Quote from: Darkness on Jun 23, 2012, 07:33:49 AM
I spoke to Colin Strause about this last year and he claims Fox refused to let them touch the DVD/Blu-Ray at all. They said the west coast prints were fine but the east coast prints were dark. So they wanted to make the movie brighter but found out after they got the Blu-Ray from Fox, that the studio had made the movie a lot darker. They never had any say about it.

Bit of a surprise cos I always thought the darkness was their choice. It's easy to blame the Strauses but they just never stood a chance with this movie.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Darkness on Mar 23, 2020, 07:09:14 PM
Hi Xenomorphine. The quote about colour grading came from me after Colin had told me privately.

Quote from: Darkness on Jun 23, 2012, 07:33:49 AM
I spoke to Colin Strause about this last year and he claims Fox refused to let them touch the DVD/Blu-Ray at all. They said the west coast prints were fine but the east coast prints were dark. So they wanted to make the movie brighter but found out after they got the Blu-Ray from Fox, that the studio had made the movie a lot darker. They never had any say about it.

Bit of a surprise cos I always thought the darkness was their choice. It's easy to blame the Strauses but they just never stood a chance with this movie.

It's all very frustrating.

ModMonkey

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 23, 2020, 09:19:46 AM

I actually found it quite hard to get a full knowledge drop thing off, with the conversation constantly shifting based on the actual footage. Was a strange thing to edit too.

Having recorded a few commentaries in my time I totally understand. You want it to be organic and flow so you have to pretty much just accept that there will be great background notes you'll just never get to. You do have some extended AVP:R discussion on the podcast proper, though, so it's at least nice to have additional options to complement the experience/analysis.

426Buddy

You guys should do an AvPR minute by minute series like I saw someone do with Alien  :laugh:

Kradan

If you want something really depressing and painful to listen make Corporal do The Predator by Minute.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 24, 2020, 03:55:21 PM
If you want something really depressing and painful to listen make Corporal do The Predator by Minute.

He might have to borrow RidgeTop's mini bar.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed