Alien: Night Shift - 40th Anniversary Short Film

Started by aliens13, Apr 09, 2019, 05:24:37 PM

Author
Alien: Night Shift - 40th Anniversary Short Film (Read 28,591 times)

The Old One

The Old One

The timeline is inevitable.

Perfect-Organism

I can hear the man facepalm from across the globe..

Huggs

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 13, 2019, 05:22:54 PM
I can hear the man facepalm from across the globe..

That's nothing.

You should hear him "quite".

Voodoo Magic

We're a unique bunch of characters, that's for certain.  :D

razeak

Meh overall. Great opening scene. Ruined it with focus on facehugger. Poor acting from everyone except the fellow with the pistol. Cool chestvuester effect at first. Terrible dialog.

Did anyone complaining about stereotypes consider that maaaaaaaybe the script was written with a thief in mind and not a black guy in mind? I mean the other character portrayed was a black person and she was the hero. Just food for thought. 50% of the cast was black. I would lean toward it wasn't a stereotype.

Huggs

Quote from: razeak on Apr 13, 2019, 06:12:05 PM
Did anyone complaining about stereotypes consider that maaaaaaaybe the script was written with a thief in mind and not a black guy in mind? I mean the other character portrayed was a black person and she was the hero. Just food for thought. 50% of the cast was black. I would lean toward it wasn't a stereotype.

That's what I'm saying.

The color of one's skin doesn't automatically make people good or bad, nor should it protect them from character flaws in a movie script. If a non-Caucasian character steals something, and the first thing that comes to someone's mind is their race, I think that's rather telling.

It's a non issue with this short that's getting overblown, and it needs to chill.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 13, 2019, 06:50:11 PM
Quote from: razeak on Apr 13, 2019, 06:12:05 PM

That's what I'm saying.

The color of one's skin doesn't automatically make people good or bad, nor should it protect them from character flaws in a movie script. If a non-Caucasian character steals something, and the first thing that comes to someone's mind is their race, I think that's rather telling.

It's a non issue with this short that's getting overblown, and it needs to chill.

And now we have been treated to a very rare sight, one of nature's most beautiful and elusive displays, common sense on the internet

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.

chromhart

How come the guy with chestburster has white stuff coming from his mouth? I was thinking maybe he was synthetic like the dog from Specimen but then red blood was shown during chest bursting... maybe I missed something.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: chromhart on Apr 13, 2019, 08:58:01 PM
How come the guy with chestburster has white stuff coming from his mouth? I was thinking maybe he was synthetic like the dog from Specimen but then red blood was shown during chest bursting... maybe I missed something.

He was foaming at the mouth.

It's a tad overdone, but it's not necessarily out of place.

Back in college, a guy next to me suffered a massive seizure and collapsed. He bashed his head against a chair on his way down. He was foaming by the time I stuck my jacket under his head.

SiL

Which very noticeably disappears in the overhead shot before the burster slides out.

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Apr 13, 2019, 10:39:10 PM
Which very noticeably disappears in the overhead shot before the burster slides out.

Well, you don't wanna gross people out.  ;D

Nightlord

Feels like the weakest short so far. Barring the weird audio bug it has the same problem I had with Containment.
The characters have had a way to escape but instead lock themselves in to face the alien?

It just seems so forced, like they're writing these characters thinking what would Ripley do, instead of thinking what would the average joe do.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nightlord on Apr 14, 2019, 11:03:23 AM
Feels like the weakest short so far. Barring the weird audio bug it has the same problem I had with Containment.
The characters have had a way to escape but instead lock themselves in to face the alien?

It just seems so forced, like they're writing these characters thinking what would Ripley do, instead of thinking what would the average joe do.

Yes. That's the creativity we're dealing with. Every short needs an offshoot of Ripley.

Hell, I would have went for broke with Alien Specimen and done it from almost the dogs point of view.  Your protagonist is the dog. Sure you hear what the humans have to say in the background but you make it more between the canine and the eerie sensed danger in that container, while the humans think the hound is crazy.

Revealing the dog at the end to be a synthetic would be just a bonus. That would have been fresh and so much better in my opinion.

SuperiorIronman

For as much as I really like Specimen, if it was from the dog's point of view that would've been just as cool. Though I think Specimen is strong enough on it's own that either way you do it it'll still be a fantastic short. Honestly though, I'd love to see more of Specimen because that just grabbed me in a way the other shorts just didn't.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed