Alien 3rd person view, yay or nay?

Started by Dowly, Apr 04, 2012, 06:56:50 PM

Alien will be played from third-person view. What's your take on it?

Good idea!
53 (45.3%)
No, stick to 1st person view.
47 (40.2%)
I don't care.
17 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Author
Alien 3rd person view, yay or nay? (Read 25,237 times)

EvilPraetorian

Personally I think there should be an option to switch to 1st person from 3rd person,  Some people might like it but I prefer 1st person in a game like this,  Especially where Xenomorphs are concerned.

AVP 2010 had the right idea with a first person view,  I just find it a shame they didn't include a third person mode as a toggle.

Gbox should do the Aliens in first AND third person IMHO.

anndrayya

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 04, 2012, 08:04:07 PM
I don't like 3rd person.
If it is as an option, I wouldn't mind.
But constantly playing 3rd person would be sooooo annoying.

Agreed, for the most part when it comes to shooters I prefer FPS. Some games I can't imagine anything other than 3rd person though. This though I could see as Marines=FPS as XENO= third person. But I really don't like the playable Xenos in general though.

psychoanomaly

I REALLY hope there's a first person option in the game. When I heard that there would be playable Aliens, I got very excited, but now that it seems they will only be playable in third person, I'm not even sure if I will play as the Alien much.

Third person kills the immersion for me. Somebody should start a petition for a toggle option.

Also, it seems like it would only be more disorienting in third person. I mean, how will the camera work for that? What will happen when you're on the ceiling?

Predaker

The camera stays the same when on the ceiling. Imagine swirling your thumb joystick (for console) to run circles in a corridor. So left/right movements will not be inverse on the ceiling, and the camera does not flip.

In tight spaces, vents, etc. the camera zooms into first person.

Effectz

Effectz

There should be a vote in there for ''All the f**ks I give''

I dont care that theres 3rd person view.It could be good,it could be bad,noone knows.

psychoanomaly

Quote from: Predaker on May 03, 2012, 01:30:46 AM
The camera stays the same when on the ceiling. Imagine swirling your thumb joystick (for console) to run circles in a corridor. So left/right movements will not be inverse on the ceiling, and the camera does not flip.

Have you seen gameplay? Any idea when we'll see some alien gameplay?

Predaker

Quote from: psychoanomaly on May 03, 2012, 09:29:23 PM
Quote from: Predaker on May 03, 2012, 01:30:46 AM

Have you seen gameplay? Any idea when we'll see some alien gameplay?
I have not played the game yet. My description was based off information I read in various interviews, so my imagination may not be spot on. This is just how I imagined it.

They have confirmed aliens will be in third person, with first person view zooming in for vents and close quarters. They also said somewhere that the camera does not flip when traversing ceilings/walls.

There will be more info coming soon at the end of this month I believe. There is a convention coming soon that will allow attendees to once again play an early demo of the game. Also, E3 2012 will reveal more I bet.

I am ready to see the aliens multiplayer! I hope they show us some MP demos soon from the alien perspective.

mokole

mokole

3rd Person View? Yay.

But, only if its a toggle between 1st Person View. Many times in hand to hand combat in AVP 2010 I wished I had a 3rd person view for the Aliens. Also maybe when they sprint the view could switch to 3rd, which I believe to recall Gears of War doing. 3rd Person kinda represents a beings total range of sight or at least awareness. Hel are we even sure how Xenos view the world anyway? Do they see? Or do they have  ampullae of Lorenzini, giving them Electroreception? Sonar? Infared?

Predaker

I bet the alien vision will not differ from the marines too drastically. The aliens will be able to see where the marines are at any given time.

SuperAbobo

I vote yay. Being 3rd person should make controlling the Alien a little less disorientating. Most of my deaths in AvP multiplayer came from spinning around on the roof. ;D

Predaker

The design of the alien has no obvious "eyes" per se, so one could look at 3rd person as being immersive in this sense.

In third person view, we get to play as an alien without actually looking through a pair of "eyes." I like the concept from that angle.  :)

Tex

Tex

Maybe having the ability to switch between 3rd and 1st would help?
That lets the play choose how immersed they are and what gives them the experience they disire. Personally....I'll be playing mostly Marine if it is anything like AVP 2010, AVP 2 or AVP 1, which I played the CM for the horror/thriller story and got kinda bored of the action-ish feeling of the other campaigns.
Quote from: Predaker on May 10, 2012, 03:17:00 PM
The design of the alien has no obvious "eyes" per se, so one could look at 3rd person as being immersive in this sense.

In third person view, we get to play as an alien without actually looking through a pair of "eyes." I like the concept from that angle.  :)
and if you look at the skull under the translucent head....there are actually eye sockets in the front of the head under the skin. Possible eyes? or just sensor nodes or the like?

Predaker

Quote from: Tex on May 12, 2012, 07:49:35 PM
Maybe having the ability to switch between 3rd and 1st would help?
That lets the play choose how immersed they are and what gives them the experience they disire. Personally....I'll be playing mostly Marine if it is anything like AVP 2010, AVP 2 or AVP 1, which I played the CM for the horror/thriller story and got kinda bored of the action-ish feeling of the other campaigns.
Quote from: Predaker on May 10, 2012, 03:17:00 PM

and if you look at the skull under the translucent head....there are actually eye sockets in the front of the head under the skin. Possible eyes? or just sensor nodes or the like?
I know but that is covered up with a smooth dark dome. The general appearance of Aliens is suggestive of not having eyes. I am pretty sure they can still see or sense what is going on. No idea how they do it, though. :)

Hopefully we will get to see the alien perspective at E3 2012 or some other event soon.

Ash 937

Ash 937

I never thought that there was much of an advantage to being the alien in any of the AvP games.  The 3rd Person layout however sounds interesting enough to make me wonder if I'd reconsider that opinion for A:CM.

Predaker

Quote from: Ash 937 on May 12, 2012, 11:28:43 PM
I never thought that there was much of an advantage to being the alien in any of the AvP games.  The 3rd Person layout however sounds interesting enough to make me wonder if I'd reconsider that opinion for A:CM.
The aliens will definitely have the tactical advantage in multiplayer. The aliens will know where the marines are at all times coupled with a wider range of view. Assuming the alien players know how to operate as a team, these factors will be a big advantage.

It seems fairly certain now that we will only be playing the aliens in third person.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed