Predator: Hunting Grounds @ Tokyo Game Show

Started by Kailem, Sep 15, 2019, 05:51:09 PM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds @ Tokyo Game Show (Read 7,949 times)

Enjoy

Enjoy

I think a large city map of L.A in the style of predator 2 would be awesome. The elevator shaft down to the sewer with the ship and the top of sky scrappers would be a lot of ground to cover.
I think it would get my money.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 22, 2019, 02:46:51 PM
We're gonna have to make enough noise about it (without being jerks).

My Man!

D88M

This sounds better actually, still i am not convinced is worth buying so far.

Nameless_1

Nameless_1

Well then what is the damn point of killing if the people you kill can be revived?

One of the biggest points of dread in the movie was how each time a team member was killed it weakened the group and made them more vulnerable because there was no help coming. They were on their own.

This just sounds like they want to copy Dead By Daylight or Last Year instead of being something more unique.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Nameless_1 on Sep 27, 2019, 10:39:31 PM
Well then what is the damn point of killing if the people you kill can be revived?

I get what you're saying but I actually like this mechanic:

• Predator: Rip out its enemies' skulls to prevent them from getting revived by teammates

Every hunter needs his trophies, and the Predator is no exception. In this case, ripping out the downed Fireteam members' skulls from their bodies will put them out of the match for an extended period of time, until one of the other players calls them back in at a designated reinforcement point. Otherwise, each of the team members can call out for help and get revived on the spot.

The developers at Illfonic also confirmed that the team is working hard on implementing a whole slew of ways the Predator can finish off its victims, and claim its trophy in all sorts of gruesome ways. Right now only the skull gets ripped out, but we're fully expecting the attached spine to come along with the skull in the final game.

https://geekculture.co/tgs-2019-5-new-things-we-learned-from-predator-hunting-grounds/

Kailem

Kailem

Yeah some people seem to be getting confused as to the meaning of "revived." You can only be revived if you're not dead yet.

It's basically the same as Left 4 Dead or Apex Legends. If a player is knocked down they can be revived and get back up. If they're knocked down and then actually killed (see what Voodoo posted above about the Predator taking trophies for that very purpose), their teammates have to go to a specific location on the map to respawn them, like the closets in L4D or the respawn beacons in Apex. So unless and until they do that their team is a lot more vulnerable because they're down a man (or more), and depending on how the respawning (or "reinforcement") points are actually handled, the Predator could also be waiting for them there because he knows there's a good chance they're going to try to bring their buddies back in if he kills any of them.

Here's a couple of videos from the PAX thread that show people being downed and killed, from both perspectives:

In this one you see the Predator attack a player and down him, and a message pops up saying "Assault was downed, Go revive them!"

Then he immediately does a trophy kill on him and the message appears saying "Assault has been killed! Look for the reinforcements mission to activate."

And then in this one at the 10:10 mark you see it from the human player's perspective, the Predator attacks and downs him but he's still alive, with a health bar appearing on the screen and the ability to spot the Predator or call for help from his teammates. Then a few seconds later the Predator rushes back and tries to kill him so his teammates can't get him back up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY4a92WzSjM&feature=youtu.be&t=610

Obviously we'll have to see how it works out, but I'm not against this system in theory compared to one that had perma-death. One of the most annoying things in Friday the 13th was playing as a counselor and having Jason find and kill you immediately, so you basically had to sit out the entire game if you wanted any XP (and respawning as Tommy Jarvis was random and only for one player). So having a system where you can be brought back doesn't sound so bad to me.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Sep 28, 2019, 12:47:46 PM

Obviously we'll have to see how it works out, but I'm not against this system in theory compared to one that had perma-death. One of the most annoying things in Friday the 13th was playing as a counselor and having Jason find and kill you immediately, so you basically had to sit out the entire game if you wanted any XP (and respawning as Tommy Jarvis was random and only for one player). So having a system where you can be brought back doesn't sound so bad to me.

Agreed  :)

razeak

I agree too. It was a total disaster if Jason nailed you early.

The Old One

The Old One

Absolutely, it's critical to get right so Hunting Grounds survives in the long term, like Dead By Daylight and not Friday the 13th.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed