Expanding the Hunt, Interview with Predators' Director Nimrod Antal – AvP Galaxy Podcast #90

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 17, 2019, 05:17:12 AM

Author
Expanding the Hunt, Interview with Predators' Director Nimrod Antal – AvP Galaxy Podcast #90 (Read 25,268 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 90th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Our 90th episode sees regular hosts Corporal Hicks & RidgeTop sit down for a discussion with Predators’ director Nimrod Antal about his experiences working on the film!

We tax Nimrod’s memory and ask him about the early development of the films, getting clarification on things like the River Ghost and cameos. We also discuss the balance of homage and consistency, and plenty more!

We would also like to thank Nick from HN Entertainment for helping to facilitate this interview! What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu.

The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunesPodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, YouTube and now Spotify! Please be sure to leave a review on whichever platform you’re using!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Great interview guys. Nimrod seems like a humble, down to Earth, nice guy.

A few things I took away:

It looks like we won't be getting a definitive answer on if the Super Predators practice genetic manipulation or not. Show less, not more. Tell less, not more. It's probably smart yet cruel that Nimrod likes to keep such things ambiguous. :)

I was new to the Isabelle shape-shifting info. I actually am intrigued with that idea and disappointed it was shut down. Like thinking the River Ghost should have joined the hero party, or at least stayed in proximity and helped when able, I do feel the hunting reserve planet needed more otherworldly components.

Reminiscing, it would have been something to see Dutch or Harrigan in the Noland role. But we know that Predator franchise motto....  #NoReturningCharacters

And I can almost smell the smoke coming out of Hick's ears as he recalls fighting the remake/homage debate. :D But I'll stand by my opinion that Predators had too little repeated beats and elements to be a remake, but too many repeated beats and elements to be a homage, and justifiably can be criticised for retreading too much.  When there's enough smoke (complaints), there's fire (a problem) and a clear indicator that the homages went... at the very least... a little too far and needed to be reigned in just a bit. Like Nimrod kept saying there's a fine line.

With that said, I enjoy Predators and am happy to have it as a Predator fan and I enjoyed this interview!

P.S. It's so awesome that Nimrod started out a Predator fan. He's one of us! :)

danihr

Thank you Nimrod forgiving us Predators. Really. IMHO you just got it. You captured the essence. AND for the budget you got. Your film gives me hope (the only thing that does) that someone at Disney can one day see that you don't need to go overboard to get a pred film done, that you can have a simple, cheap, slow burning and suspenseful flick and, dollar for dollar, really get a good return at the end of the cycle (cinema, bluray, new boxset, literature, misc merchandise)... in Royce's words, '...It can be done!'. And us fans will be EVER so grateful.
👍

Kradan

I haven't listened to it yet but i'm gonna say that it super-f**king-cool that you guys've finally managed to get the director on your show!

Now it's time to get The Director...

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 18, 2019, 04:26:13 AM
I haven't listened to it yet but i'm gonna say that it super-f**king-cool that you guys've finally managed to get the director on your show!

Shane Black?  ;)

Stop looking at dessert menu and enjoy the steak in front of you!  :)

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 18, 2019, 11:31:13 AM
Shane Black?  ;)

Even if i like The Predator it doesn't mean... Maybe...BUT MAYBE NOT!  :( ??? >:( :-[  :-\ :P ::) :) :D ;D

Anyway, i've listened podcast already. Nimrod is such nice and modest and clever guy! Also i like that Hicks mentioned that skull in fire. It was like "Yes! I'm not insane! Someone also did see it!" And overall Predators still a movie that i really enjoy rewatching over and over. It definetly has right bits in it.

About "rehash" criticism. I think that jungle setting is so strongly associated with first movie that if you just make another Predator movie set in jungle first thought will be "Oh, they're trying to trade the same." And i think that criticism is valid to some degree. I just don't bothered by it 'cause movie as whole is great.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Not going to browbeat someone, whose filmed ripped me off in July 2010, but I will say Nimrod Antal bit off more than he could chew and didn't deliver the goods.

From the misleading marketing suggesting an "A" title and that fake trailer with multiple lazer dots suggesting 10 or so PREDATORs were hunting Adrien Brody and his heavily armed buddies, suggesting an epic showdown.

Also can I remind everyone
ALIENS VS PREDATOR- REQUIEM (2007), budget $40 Million (but looked double or triple that budget) and they even afforded Tom Woodruff fantastic ADI suits and practical effects.
PREDATORS (2010) budget also $40 Million and they resorted to a cheaper prosthetics company, which still got praised by ADI's Alec Gillis "for the budget they had". But again he doesn't realise AVP-R had the same budget and limited shooting schedule.

The end result of PREDATORS was a shoddy straight to DVD mess. It bored an entire cinema with people shouting out sarcastic remarks during a screening I was at. One even said "that (fake) trailer lied to us! What a crap film!". Before legging it out of the cinema.

As for Nimrod Antal saying "other people's movies lack suspense" is very much glass stones and houses.

Only the actors kind of saved this movie from total disaster. Adrien Brody, Topher Grace, Alice Braga, Oleg Taktarov, Laurence Fishburne, Mahershala Ali, Louis Ozawa Changchien were all great. But then that's kind of like how "the last kid who get's picked last in team sports" is offered the chance of first pick next round because he complained.....only to pick the same team again like a hypocrite.
In other words the cast chosen was overcompensating for the person responsible to Direct.

Danny Tejo was criminally underused. I really wanted Machete Vs Predator! Guess they didn't hire a fight choreographer? And as for Walton Goggins
Spoiler
getting his spine ripped out
[close]
was the best scene in the movie as well as his comic line "You know, man, if we ever make it home, I'm going to do so much f**king cocaine. I'm gonna rape so many fine bitches". Inappropriate but hilarious at the same time.

Needed more preparation and needed better action choreography. All the elements were there but............good intentions do not make a great movie. Which PREDATORS was, frustratingly, not.

My only question was "what was that metal thing Lawrence Fishburne made a make-shift home in?". A crashed spaceship? An alien house? An alien mine?

danihr

On the subject of the skull on fire. I read somewhere that the shot was filmed by one of the guys who worked on the classic 'texas chainsaw m'. It then immediately hit me that in that movie there's an exact same shot, same mood, with the fire crackling and all. Not of an alien creature of course, but I spotted it right away. Both brilliant shots btw. There u go, a bit of trivia (unless I'm imaging it, but I don't think so- just take a look).

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 18, 2019, 11:31:13 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Jun 18, 2019, 04:26:13 AM

Shane Black?  ;)

Stop looking at dessert menu and enjoy the steak in front of you!  :)

This podcast is Nimrod Antal conceeding defeat and admitting he made a crap movie. Tell us something we don't know? Next he'll say how his follow-up, METALLICA- THROUGH THE NEVER cinema movie was played to empty screenings and took $2000 at the box office.

I second I want a Shane Black podcast, but its still "too soon" and I doubt we'd get any juicy dirt until the dust has settled.

Voodoo Magic

He's so angry I can feel AVP-CAPCOM's frustration through my screen!

Quick, someone get him a Snickers!

;D

Whos_Nick

The trailer shot was all on the marketing team, beyond his control

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Jun 18, 2019, 10:07:32 PM
The trailer shot was all on the marketing team, beyond his control

Well even the studio knew their product sucked. What a lazy curveball, rather than demanding reshoots or drafting in another Director to finish.

Huggs

Predators is pure awesomeness.

Kradan

I'm getting tired of Old One's deleted and massively edited posts.

By the way - yes, it is.

The Old One

The Old One

Because context is important and an edited or completely reconstructed post is required often.
AVP Capcom, I don't agree at all.

ADI's work is the worst it's ever been on AVP Requiem, and the film looked as though Asylum produced. Every design aspect apart from Wolf and the Predator technology is a complete disaster.

Predators is a far superior film in every respect, but especially visually. Although I agree Predators marketing overpromised and underdelivered, it's nowhere near the travesty of Requiem.

It's just honestly mediocre, in my opinion it's totally inoffensive and entertaining but rarely memorable.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed