A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered?

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Jul 03, 2018, 11:31:07 PM

Author
A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered? (Read 48,893 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jul 07, 2018, 10:37:37 PM
Ripley wasn't safe.  She died without even being given a chance to fight.

What was cloned was 'not her'.

Quite. It was merely to continue the likeness of a dead character. Which I still think was a poor choice.

And the safe comment was also meant to include characters like Newt and Hicks. Who are most definitely dead, and shouldn't come back, in my opinion.

Perfect-Organism

Now we're getting somewhere.  Indeed A:R was a bad idea for the reasons mentioned above, and that will never change.  But what will happen is that some day the prequels will be finished.  We may get a movie about Isolation, but that will one day be finished too, as that story just leads back to Ripley.  Then we will be faced with moving the films forward, and that will be a post A:R reality, which for the reasons you mentioned about, no one gives a f$&k about.  So there's a chance that A:R may get retconned for something that makes more sense than literally resurrecting dead characters, just like the AVP films got retconned.  If that happens, well then you might as well retcon Alien 3, since you'd already be taking films out of continuity.

Guys, I want the same thing you do, a vibrant, popular, thriving series with regular instalments.  Does anyone here really believe that the series will be a success once the post A:R continuity films start to come in?  Seriously?

426Buddy

426Buddy

You can still have stories set after Alien3. They just cant have the USM know about any of the encounters , then AR can stay canon. Might cheapen the story of AR but thats ok by me.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 07, 2018, 11:21:39 PM
Guys, I want the same thing you do, a vibrant, popular, thriving series with regular instalments.  Does anyone here really believe that the series will be a success once the post A:R continuity films start to come in?  Seriously?

Heavens no. Having Sigourney playing Ripley 8 on earth, with aliens running everywhere would be a bit too jumping the shark for me. Ripley's character was that of a flawed human being, and a mother. A regular woman who endured the loss of everything and everyone that meant something to her. She may not have died in a straight-up fight, but she died stopping the Aliens from spreading elsewhere. She felt natural. No B.S. And she did her best under the circumstances.

Cloning her for nostalgia's sake and giving her acidic blood and super strength and all of that is not and (I would contend) was never the right choice. If anybody wants to continue that story past Original Sin (I believe was the novel), then I say have at it. But I hope it's not on film. We'll wind up with some people saying it was yet another "Return to form" and Weaver performance is "gritty and powerful" and "Alien is back". Then the numbers will roll in and all will go stagnant again. Mistakes were made. They were made with Resurrection, with AVP, with the prequels. We've been on the 40 miles of bad road. It's time to turn around and get back on the right exit. Ripley is dead. Newt and Hicks are dead. They're gone. There are no predators hunting aliens on earth, they don't exist. Gunnison is fine. And the space jockeys are not large fudds who worshipped giant stone heads.

Isolation was a proper step in the right direction. Maintain the spirit, but let the body go. Now we've had Amanda's story, and it was great. But I fail to believe that a company as large as Weyland-Yutani rested all its hopes for the xenomorph on the shoulders of one space tug crew, a handful of marines, and the Torrens. Or that they were bought out by Wal-Mart for heaven's sake.  ;)

OpenMaw

Honestly I love the idea that Weyland Yutani went back to LV426, recovered the remains of the derelict and -

Go from there. You could take it anywhere.

Huggs

Do we have a firm numerical distance for the derelict in relation to the processor? It should have survived the blast.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 07, 2018, 11:50:32 PM
Do we have a firm numerical distance for the derelict in relation to the processor? It should have survived the blast.

This is one of those "Where did the egg come from?" type of questions.

It's inferred because of Alien 3 and Resurrection that it was destroyed.

It also doesn't make sense that Ripley wouldn't try to ensure it was gone before getting back in the tubes.

So i'd split the difference. The blast was big enough to destroy everything, but the Derelict was partially sheltered by nearby terrain. It weathered the blast, but was left unrecognizable from orbit.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 08, 2018, 12:11:26 AM

It also doesn't make sense that Ripley wouldn't try to ensure it was gone before getting back in the tubes.

So i'd split the difference. The blast was big enough to destroy everything, but the Derelict was partially sheltered by nearby terrain. It weathered the blast, but was left unrecognizable from orbit.

Sounds about right to me. The eggs of course, should definitely be okay. Seeing as how the were underground. And the company should be aware of the grid reference. So finding them shouldn't be an issue. Even in a worst case scenario, it's only a matter of some digging. If Sallah and Indy can manage, so can Weyland Yutani.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 07, 2018, 11:32:31 PM
You can still have stories set after Alien3. They just cant have the USM know about any of the encounters , then AR can stay canon. Might cheapen the story of AR but thats ok by me.

Yes, except the ultimate story will still end up in the same place, with Weyland Yutani being bought out by Walmart.   :laugh:  Face it, A:R is a continuity destination nobody will ever touch in a film.  A director would really have to just not care about his career.  So A:R cannot survive in the canon.  They jumped the shark with that one, and if we go down the road of retconning A:R, wll why not just do the same with Alien 3?  Why go half-assed on something?

A film about Hicks, Newt and Ripley after Aliens, is not about resurrecting dead characters, A:R is about that subject.  It's in the title.  The Hicks, Newt, and Ripley story would be ignoring Alien 3 so those deaths never took place in continuity.

SM, if you want to use the logic that if a character is dead, like Hicks or Newt, they should be left dead, then surely you would prefer A:R to be decanonized right?

426Buddy

426Buddy

Actually you dont even have to include Weyland Yutani in any large capacity.

You can have stories go in other directions, other colonies, companies, derelicts. 

They dont have to lead into AR. They have 200 years to work with. Also the walmart line was a deleted scene wasnt it?

You just try way to hard to make it seem like the only way to get a good alien film is to wipe out half the series and bring back dead characters. Thats just not the case unless you have no imagination.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 08, 2018, 12:47:43 AM

You just try way to hard to make it seem like the only way to get a good alien film is to wipe out half the series.
That's just not the case unless you have no imagination.

This, leave dead characters dead. Fictional or not.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 12:20:20 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 08, 2018, 12:11:26 AM

Sounds about right to me. The eggs of course, should definitely be okay. Seeing as how the were underground. And the company should be aware of the grid reference. So finding them shouldn't be an issue. Even in a worst case scenario, it's only a matter of some digging. If Sallah and Indy can manage, so can Weyland Yutani.

There is no question in my mind that a good film could be made by exploring the derelict after Ripley's Barbeque, with or without Ripley, Hicks and Newt.  It is the logical step to investigate those coordinates after the blast.  There is no way that Derelict could be so close that it was destroyed by a blast radius of about 40km.  That would mean the processing station was practically built beside the derelict.  But to make such a movie would mean to automatically decanonize A:R regardless.  If they were able to get a full alien from a drop of Ripley's blood, surely there must be enough DNA in the derelict even if all the eggs were dead, so automatically Alien: Resurrection does not make sense anymore, and if you have to decanonize something, again, why stop at one film and end up in the low point of the series again right after Alien 3?  Why not just go back to the end of Aliens, in which case you still have characters that people know and love, and the derelict?  Do you people really not want to see this film?

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 08, 2018, 12:51:14 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 08, 2018, 12:47:43 AM

You just try way to hard to make it seem like the only way to get a good alien film is to wipe out half the series.
That's just not the case unless you have no imagination.

This, leave dead characters dead. Fictional or not.

By that logic, you want to decanonize Alien: Resurrection right?  Or are you going to contradict yourself?

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 08, 2018, 12:53:25 AM

1. Why stop at one film and end up in the low point of the series again right after Alien 3? 

2. Do you people really not want to see this film?

3. By that logic, you want to decanonize Alien: Resurrection right?  Or are you going to contradict yourself?

1. Because A3 isn't a low point and deserves to stay canon, it ended the characters stories effectively.
In the same way GOT would enforce brutal but realistic death upon beloved characters because it's what the natural progression of the story is.

2. No, I really, really don't want to see Aliens: The Nuclear Family Returns, and neither should anyone else.
They don't deserve to return anymore than the crew of the Nostromo or Elizabeth Shaw does.

3. No, there's really no need to decanonize it.
It would be quite easy to make an Alien film with the set design, weapons, technology, tone of the first three films and simply set it after A:R.

426Buddy

I think bishop said the bast was the size of Nebraska, so yeah the derelict was meant to be destroyed by the blast. Even if it wasnt, Ripley wouldnt have left if the Derelict was still viable. She would have nuked the entire site from orbit.

Also Ripley and Ripley8 are not the same character so no, its not the same as actually bringing back Hicks, Newt, and Ripley.

SM

Quite.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 07, 2018, 11:21:39 PM
Now we're getting somewhere.  Indeed A:R was a bad idea for the reasons mentioned above, and that will never change.  But what will happen is that some day the prequels will be finished.  We may get a movie about Isolation, but that will one day be finished too, as that story just leads back to Ripley.  Then we will be faced with moving the films forward, and that will be a post A:R reality, which for the reasons you mentioned about, no one gives a f$&k about.  So there's a chance that A:R may get retconned for something that makes more sense than literally resurrecting dead characters, just like the AVP films got retconned.  If that happens, well then you might as well retcon Alien 3, since you'd already be taking films out of continuity.

I don't want the same thing you do.

But we're not getting a post-Resurrection movie nor an Isolation movie.

QuoteSM, if you want to use the logic that if a character is dead, like Hicks or Newt, they should be left dead, then surely you would prefer A:R to be decanonized right?

You know perfectly well those are two completely different things so take your desperately poor attempt at smart-arsery elsewhere.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed