ComicbookGirl Interviews Lance Henriksen

Started by RakaiThwei, Sep 11, 2014, 02:56:25 AM

Author
ComicbookGirl Interviews Lance Henriksen (Read 41,558 times)

predxeno

predxeno

Scott ignored his own style set in his original film; one of the unique elements that Alien had was its idea that the future wasn't some glamorous place with shiny starships, but a place where many of today's problems still exist; bad machinery and wage issues.  One of the elements that Alien: Isolation will have is the retro-technology look that the first film had, but Prometheus is the opposite of that and features that bright shiny future that is so unlike the Alien films.  This is a small detail, true, but it's the small details that show how much the director cares about the film. 

Movies like Terminator 3 and 4 and Silent Hill: Revelation failed because the new directors didn't care about the themes nor the symbolism present in the previous films and therefore created a new film that was completely lacking in those areas.  This is what Ridley Scott did with Prometheus; he set a dark and rusty world in Alien and then proceeded to take it away in Prometheus.  This shows that either 1) he did even care for his original work enough to realize he was doing this or 2) he did realize this but chose to sacrifice the older look for a newer one to entice a wider audience rather than appease his longtime fans.

SM

As has been said ad nauseum - Nostromo is a battered old tug that's almost falling apart; Prometheus is a brand new corporate flagship.

predxeno

predxeno

That's a retcon explanation, it can work but fans shouldn't have to retcon stories in; as with EU the same will apply to Prometheus.  Do you really think in the future, spaceships will keep that retro look or go for a more modern one?  There's no reason even an old tugboat would have that look unless it was the look all spaceships had.

SM

SM

Quote[Arthur Max] said that he wanted "to do something that was state-of-the-art, which would represent a flagship spacecraft with every technology required to probe into the deepest corners of the galaxy."

Xenomrph

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 12, 2014, 01:42:22 AM
That's a retcon explanation, it can work but fans shouldn't have to retcon stories in; as with EU the same will apply to Prometheus.  Do you really think in the future, spaceships will keep that retro look or go for a more modern one?  There's no reason even an old tugboat would have that look unless it was the look all spaceships had.
It might be a "retcon", but it's a fairly plausible one.
I'm not going to deny that it causes a pretty jarring disconnect between Prometheus and the Alien movies, though.

predxeno

I read the Alien: Isolation prequel comic and if I remember correctly, the Sevastopol is supposed to be one of the most advanced space stations created by mankind yet it uses retro-technology 35 years after Alien (I don't know how many years after Prometheus).

SM

SM

It's set 15 years after Alien and the station is being decommissioned.  Meaning it's a similar vintage to the Nostromo - though obviously the station was at it's current location after 2122.

And how do design choices in a video game based on Alien have anything to do with Ridley Scott?

predxeno

predxeno

Sorry, must have got confused with Out of the Shadows; it's relevant however because an entire space station is quite a different thing than an old tugboat.

SM

And that's relevant to Riddles design choices on Prometheus how?

Blacklabel

Because Ridley Scott could have easily have peered into the future while doing Prometheus..
and seen the designs for Alien Isolation.

DUH.

predxeno

It's an inconsistency, a plot contradiction as you guys like to put it; I can never get how this doesn't bother you but flaws in other movies like AVPR could.

Blacklabel

Dat good old AVPR with its Rasfatari Xenomorph.

SM

You betta not be hatin' on da Requiem, babylon!

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 12, 2014, 02:46:52 AM
It's an inconsistency, a plot contradiction as you guys like to put it; I can never get how this doesn't bother you but flaws in other movies like AVPR could.

I can never get the straws at which you clutch in utter futility to make a non existant argument.

There was a deliberate decision taken by Riddles to differentiate Nostromo and Prometheus.  Max outlined the reasoning.

To suggest it's somehow Ridley's fault that there might be inconsistencies between Prometheus and a video game he had nothing to do with, is asinine.

predxeno

Can you forward me to a source on this "deliberate decision"?  This is the first I'm hearing if it.

Blacklabel

.....slams head on keyboard....

ehjgihaszghnfrdjuahguhrdnpasg
das
gdsajgidsa+ds
ag
ds
aigdsaighdjas

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed