AlienExplorations Blog

Started by wmmvrrvrrmm, Feb 10, 2013, 03:00:53 PM

Author
AlienExplorations Blog (Read 50,999 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Fantastic work! I was already aware of some Moebius influences on Prometheus, but what you've pointed out in that article really blew my mind. I can assure you that I'll be reading the rest of your articles when I get the time. :D

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Apr 01, 2013, 12:55:28 AM
Fantastic work! I was already aware of some Moebius influences on Prometheus, but what you've pointed out in that article really blew my mind. I can assure you that I'll be reading the rest of your articles when I get the time. :D

Thankyou yes, I'm pretty much amazed as the others. I think the process of discovering these facts and likelihoods often comes intuitively which can be very puzzling when it happens, but a good many people picked up the trilobyte and the concept art of the victim of the sex burster being inspired by material from on The Long Tomorrow with, but the rest remained quiet for a little bit longer just for me to do a writeup about. I think that my favourite Moebius discovery is the Master Burg comparison at the moment. But it does seem as if Ridley continues to be inspired by Moebius very much which is one of the saving graces of the Prometheus movie

Much of the Alien Explorations blog seems to be like pages of overcomplicated lists of quotes and details often not going anywhere to recognisable but if I compile these, I hope that I will recognise something revealing itself in there as if it's a fishing net and bring it to the surface and maybe I will have a way to write what actually is coming to the surface through all of those quotes. Having images as the core of these discoveries is often a big help.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Here's another page I've started working on. Model kits named by Martin Bowers, used on the Nostromo, the refinery and I imagine the Narcissus shuttle as well. I'll keep an eye out for anything else mentioned and try to display the kit box and hopefully it's contents that have been photographed by proud model enthusiasts. This information here is based on what he named in an article he did for Scifi and Fantasy models.

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/1979/06/kits-named-by-martin-bowers.html

The other thing to do would be to show obvious examples of use of these kits

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Did Pink Floyd/ Gerald Scarfe inspire WETA's alternate Fifield?

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/pink-floyd-origins-for-wetas-alternate.html

So linking to the question about whether Scarfe's Teacher inspired WETA's alternate Fifield monster, was the Final Fifield inspired by Ralph Steadman's caricatures?

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/did-ralph-steadman-inspire-final-fifield.html

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Did a Gerald Scarfe vision from The Wall inspire the mouth and tongue of the Trilobite?

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/trilobyte-tongue-inspired-by-gerald.html

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Nice, I personally have always thought they took it off a Hagfish's mouth:

No sources outright state that, though.

Also, thanks for the screenshots, didn't notice the Trilobite's proboscis has these black holes on its sides.

ikarop

ikarop

I remember asking Neville about his source of inspiration for the Trilobite. It was pointed by several members here that it might have been an homage to Ron Cobb's original Alien. His response:

" (...) I did not take inspiration from Ron Cobb...not directly. What a great comparative image!! I have not seen that creature of his in quite some time. I ate that book up and loved his work but I really did not refer to his stuff. But, it's kind of amazing how the pose, especially the claw in the air, is spot on. Maybe, some place deep in my memory, I was inspired :)"

Sometimes it's just happy coincidences. After all these are very influential artists (Ron Cobb, Pink Floyd, etc...) who left an imprint on many people's mind.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Wow, thanks ikarop. :)

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: ikarop on May 07, 2013, 12:21:57 PM

Sometimes it's just happy coincidences. After all these are very influential artists (Ron Cobb, Pink Floyd, etc...) who left an imprint on many people's mind.

In terms of finding this 1970s imagery crawling through it does seem that there is a general inspiration from 1970s pop culture coming through in Prometheus, deliberate and maybe not easily avoidable but the picture is building up more and more. There seems to be the blue Deacon as in Deacon Blues  which is a Steely Dan song that mentions Crimson Tide which is a Tony Scott movie. We know that Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon was something deliberately Ridley had playing on the set, and then it seems that a couple of the strange weird monstrous characters by Gerald Scarfe from Pink Floyd's The Wall have come through into the designs, such as the School Master and the wife who turns into a praying mantis and then a vaginal flower with a toothy maw and a slit tipped tongue like a serpent's head. Ridley could have had the imagery in mind and suggested it without directly telling the illustrators where it was coming from. Then Ralph Steadman's influence almost seems to have cropped up in the final Fifield, almost the sort of imagery one would find in his Gonzo journalist illustrations, he's the illustrator that you would have had as an alternative to Gerald Scarfe. Of course there seems to be the fact that Ridley was aiming to try to get William Blake influence and maybe one might have easily have drifted into something like Dali inspiration but this 1970s pop culture certainly does poke its head above the surface more than once.

Quote from: Omegazilla on May 07, 2013, 12:03:13 PM
Nice, I personally have always thought they took it off a Hagfish's mouth:
http://naturefilmsnetwork.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/New-Zealand-hagfish-teeth.jpg

No sources outright state that, though.

Also, thanks for the screenshots, didn't notice the Trilobite's proboscis has these black holes on its sides.

well, the way the mouth would have been structured would have had to comply with something as natural as possible, but the fact they chose something generally of that nature with this strange sort of odd tongue with eye holes is the important thing

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The curious thing is that the Deacon seems to have the same kind of holes in its internal jaw too.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Omegazilla on May 07, 2013, 09:15:39 PM
The curious thing is that the Deacon seems to have the same kind of holes in its internal jaw too.

Yes indeed, and I might ask if this was carried over from what they came up with for the trilobytes tongue/ovipositer and so I might say this came from the same image in The Wall but less directly. It certainly hasn't been explained or even talked about at all , we know where the idea for the jaw came from because Huantes talked about the Goblin shark but he mentioned nothing about the eyes on this inner jaw like thing.

Going back to influences behind Ridley's creativity, I think

I think though that the background of the thoughts Ridley has found himself talking about in relation to developing Alien have almost come off as obvious, such as back during the time of his chats about an Alien sequel on the Alien laserdisc, he sounded as if he were someone who had been watching Quatermass and the Pit and reading too much Erich Von Daniken and there was no one back then to ask him to be more specific about this, and well it later turned out that he was talking in terms of those as inspiration.

Alien the movie had Giger's Necronomicon as a source that inspired Giger, and there were the roots in Ancient Egyptian mythology to dig for because of his work.

I don't really think that the illustrators in Prometheus had the opportunity to be anything more than cogs in the wheel and I suppose they're not really asked to come up with strange personal ideas, they just seem to boast about finding everything in nature and they certainly didn't have people such as Switzerland's grand mythologist Sergius Golowin feeding them strange esoteric things either. So I think that iconic ghosts of 70s hallucinatory pop culture were the pervading dark spirit, and one can be quite specific about what led to what.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Attempt to illustrate the point about the final Fifield being loosely inspired by Ralph Steadman. All lettering here including the numbers comes from various pieces by Ralph Steadman

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/did-ralph-steadman-inspire-final-fifield.html

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

That is mighty. More Steadman please, everywhere.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Did Henry Moore's Head of Prometheus lithograph from 1950 influence the head in Prometheus? This is something I discovered about a month ago. Notice the framework of lines as well as the fact the head is supposed to be of Prometheus. I'll have to see if there was an actual sculpture with such lines by him but I can't find anything online

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/prometheus-head-sculpture-influenced-by.html

RobThom

RobThom

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Feb 10, 2013, 03:00:53 PM
I've just posted on my blog an article about Moebius' influence on Prometheus.

Eeuw

Maybe its just me,
but if I were a great artist who was then shamelessly ripped off by hacks,
that people wouldn't suggest that I "influenced" them.

But great article as usual wmmvrrvrrmm.
Love the site.

Just jokes.
;D

(Although I'm actually quite serious.)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed