Started by Snowdog, Apr 29, 2011, 10:44:59 PM

Author
Alien Resurrection (Read 35,752 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Snowdog on Apr 29, 2011, 10:44:59 PM
* The Penis like Chestburster in the openingscene
Now that you make me think of it... oshit, true! Foreskin and all that! :o

There are also a lot of other nice subtleties in the film... as an example right now, Purvis' death: Wren practically condemned him to die by putting an Alien inside him. Purvis killed Wren by (indirectly) putting an Alien inside him. Once you take it, it's f**king great and also a rather fitting death for Wren.
When the protagonists go through the flooded kitchen, I always thought that the substance that blocked their way at the end of it was rather like some kind of distorted placenta.
Always seen the Newborn's death as a metaphor for abort. Oh, and the Queen giving birth to it is an incredibly distorted version of a Woman going into labor and giving birth to her son. Think of it. A being that is totally not human feels human pain.
There's some more too.

Also there is a lot of complaining about the aliens that they are to flesh like and not so mechanical as in the first movies. But i see it as a side effect of the cloning process. I love how they changed the aliens and how it fits the storyline.
Agreed 100%, the Aliens worked greatly in their context.

But guys am i really one of the few alien fans that like Alien Resurrection including the Alien designs ?
You're totally not. ;D
I love the flick myself, with only a few things that I don't like, and probably never will, thus holding it back from a full score (I give it a 9.5).

bleau

bleau

I thought the film was OK. Ron Perlman saved it for me, he was funny and kick ass. The crippled guy was cool too.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

This movie was the bastard offspring from what should have been a ménage à trois of creative awesomeness.

The Alien Franchis, Joss Whedon, and Jean Pierre Jeunet.

The trifecting powers should have prisomed into something ... like a beautiful butterfly.

Instead we got the yellow hunchbacked turd with a Gene Simmons tongue with saggy breasts New Born. Ugly, Eerily reminiscent of something cool, unpredictable, and over all batshit insane.

The New Born represents the film itself. Even right down to the removal of its 'penis' in post production. Only I think the film lost it's genitalia in the planning stages. It had no real identity. And as with the fate of the Newborn, the film was sucked through a tiny hull breach in the fans expectations.

The film had it's GREAT moments. I loved the crew of the Betty. The Scientists were perfectly smarmy. The 7 failed Ripley clones were a nice disturbing touch. But a lot of the humor and Jean Pierre's clever physics shenanigans seemed REALLY out of place. It does seem to get better (for what it is) with age.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

I already expressed my hatred for the movie and all the reasons for it so no need to repeat all that X-Men, video games characters, dumb crosseye humor, clean and sterile ship and whacky technology stuff again. But in short - I cant think of any other movie I would dislike more. Well, maybe all the movies with Matthew McConaughey

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: StrangeShape on Apr 30, 2011, 06:43:47 AM
maybe all the movies with Matthew McConaughey

Mr. Dragon is very angry.

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

People like Alien Resurrection?
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!

Snowdog

Snowdog

Quote from: RazorSlash on Apr 30, 2011, 05:59:04 PM
People like Alien Resurrection?
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!
http://astarakki.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/inglip.png

Do i smell sarcasm ?? :P

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

He tried really hard to ignore me, I see. :P

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Apr 30, 2011, 04:52:17 AM
There are also a lot of other nice subtleties in the film... as an example right now, Purvis' death: Wren practically condemned him to die by putting an Alien inside him. Purvis killed Wren by (indirectly) putting an Alien inside him. Once you take it, it's f**king great and also a rather fitting death for Wren.
Dude, it is fitting but it's not a subtlety :P

sub·tle/ˈsətl/Adjective
1. (esp. of a change or distinction) So delicate or precise as to be difficult to analyze or describe.
2. (of a mixture or effect) Delicately complex and understated.

:laugh:

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Delicately sort of understated, no?
It's... subtle, derived only from an actual analysis.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Apr 30, 2011, 06:34:43 PM
Delicately sort of understated, no?
It's... subtle, derived only from an actual analysis.
No way man, I think everyone who saw it understood the irony completely. It's probably the most outrageous sequence in the film, it wasn't subtle in any way. The irony was there in flaming nipple-tassles and all.  :laugh:

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

It isn't flat-out said though; that's why it is subtle. I know it is outrageous, but subtly it is a fitting death for Wren IMHO. There isn't an immediate grasping of the reasonment behind that death, one could think it was done for gore's sake.

Snowdog

Snowdog

I have to agree with Omegazilla here  :laugh:

Valaquen

Valaquen

Then you guys are nuts! I don't know anyone who didn't immediately go "AHA! Wren put the Alien in him but now HE gets the Alien!" The irony! :P

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: Valaquen on May 01, 2011, 11:09:46 AM
Then you guys are nuts! I don't know anyone who didn't immediately go "AHA! Wren put the Alien in him but now HE gets the Alien!" The irony! :P

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. Subtlety is the death of the newborn alluding to abortion. The irony of Wrens death was literally thrust into your face (out of his) ;D

As for Alien Resurrection I dislike it more with every viewing unfortunately though I can somehow sit through the making of documentary time and again.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed