Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,886 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

QuoteI just wish they would not have even attached the name 'Alien' to this.  Kinda bothers me that they did.  No reason to.

They didn't attach the name Alien to this.

armandxp

armandxp

Uh, yes they did!  All they talked about was the last 8 minutes leads up to something in the neighborhood of 'Alien'. The 'alien' series, should have never been brought up, in my opinion. They should have just said, this is original and that it has different DNA.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 08, 2012, 02:48:35 PM
QuoteI just wish they would not have even attached the name 'Alien' to this.  Kinda bothers me that they did.  No reason to.

They didn't attach the name Alien to this.

Huh?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 08, 2012, 11:28:56 AM
Still have no idea what to think.
We should start a club.

MasCot

MasCot

Quote from: armandxp on Jun 08, 2012, 12:42:56 PMWell, here's hoping that P2 will be the movie we wished this one would have been.....
Right now I'm wishing for an extended cut on Blu-Ray. I naively think that it may transform a decent flick (because I certainly like it) into a fine movie.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Based on all the reviews, I was expecting something far worse than what I saw last night (USA opening day).  The film is definitely good, not great...but certainly good.  I think that all of the negative reviews are coming from people who are measuring this against Alien and Blade Runner.  That's completely understandable...but they might have to give Prometheus some sort of break considering that those other two films have about 30 years of nostalgia built into them in 2012.

I think that the Blu-Ray cut will iron out some of the loose ends that people are complaining about.  The scope of this story was far more epic than anything Ridley ever attempted in his other Sci-Fi films and I want to say that it appears that fitting it all into two hours was something he struggled with.  I'm not sure if any living director today would've done a better job honestly.

I'd give the film an 'A' for effort and a 'B' for its overall execution.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

As I continue to reflect, my admiration begins. I can't shake the film, some glaring and implausible problems aside, and as I've written before, I haven't seen anything like this film. What science fiction has seriously dealt with the issues of who we are, why we are, and who are our makers? I'm going again later on today, can't wait.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 08, 2012, 03:54:37 PM
As I continue to reflect, my admiration begins. I can't shake the film, some glaring and implausible problems aside, and as I've written before, I haven't seen anything like this film. What science fiction has seriously dealt with the issues of who we are, why we are, and who are our makers? I'm going again later on today, can't wait.

This subject has been brought up a good amount of times, man.
When Star Trek has done an episode on it.... you know it's a norm by now.

8thPassenger

8thPassenger

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 08, 2012, 03:54:37 PM

I'm happy that you liked it. I thought Prometheus was somewhere between OK and pretty good.

But I just can't see how this film is supposed to "seriously deal" with the issues you mentioned. This is a movie, made to basically kill 2 hours of our time in an entertaining way, and it does so in a very basic Hollywood format. I personally don't feel like I know anything more about our history and development as a species just because I saw Prometheus.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Of course this issue has been brought up before, but not in the way I saw it presented. I think this film is one BIG question, a question humanity has asked for centuries, a question religion tries to answer (or stifle, or bullshit). I've always been more about questions and answers. Looking for the answers is way more satisfying then getting them (because usually, we don't get them).

I HATE neat little boxes, and often times, when we pose questions, our answers are even more questions. When I say 'seriously' I mean, take 'seriously' the question and exploration of our origins.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

I can't get it out of my mind. Yes, I only saw it yesterday, but it's really sticking with me.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Cvalda, where art thou?

mastermoon

mastermoon

I've watched Prometheus for the second time it's not really as bad as some fans say it is, The movie only became what it is now because of Ridley Scott not doing an Alien movie sinse 1979.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 08, 2012, 04:31:42 PM
Cvalda, where art thou?
I'm here. Seeing it tonight at 7:30 right after work. Will have my review up later in the evening. ;)

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Have fun with it. Youre going to Looooooooove Holloway :laugh:
Spoiler
Or at least his death scene.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed