Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,596 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Just back. I don't know what to think. I don't have a million questions like everyone else. There are two HUGE glaring mistakes that replay in my head, and the design of the proto-alien at the end was absolutely ridiculous. That's the best they could come up with? Seriously?

I don't know what to think. I would say I enjoyed the second half more then the first. That 'creation of life' sequence' was hardly noteworthy at all.

Collating....collating....

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 08, 2012, 07:53:45 AM
Collating....collating....
This was what I was doing as the credits rolled and the lights came up. My fiance was like, are we going or what?

Yona

Yona

The more I think about it, the more it grows on me. Fastest two hours ever in a theater. Really felt like part one of a TV "mini-series", perhaps purposely.  First post, BTW

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

We were in the back row, and a guy a few seats down from us shouted "f**k" then jumped his seat and stormed out. :laugh:

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

I still don't know what to think......I've never seen anything like it before however, despite its connection to ALIEN. It all went by so fast.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 08, 2012, 08:09:28 AM
I've never seen anything like it before.
Is that good or bad, or both?

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 08, 2012, 08:09:28 AMIt all went by so fast.

A big part of the problem I would suggest. A bad screenplay that tried to cram in too many ideas.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Ah...no....there's just so much going on....oh...and I'm still betting Vickers is a bot.

fiveways

fiveways

I liked it quite a bit.  You can tell they tried to edit it to be PG-13 and just couldn't.  hopefully it will gain some suspense in its home video version.

Still I found way less plot holes then most.  It's a movie they all have plot holes in them.  And I am sure some peoples plot holes will be explained if a sequel is made.

But it passed time and was quite fun.  I think I have way lower expectations because I will watch the uncut version, and not bother looking at anything related to it till Prometheus 2 comes out. 

I'm also a big fan of bigger universes.  That one just got huge.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

The  two glaring issues I have.....number one....Fifield and the other bloke get lost but they have a holographic 3D map on the ship and they could tell them how to get out???

Shaw has a C section and then suddenly everyone is cool with her???? No one is after her? The fu€k?

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 08, 2012, 08:17:55 AM
The  two glaring issues I have.....number one....Fifield and the other bloke get lost but they have a holographic 3D map on the ship and they could tell them how to get out???

Shaw has a C section and then suddenly everyone is cool with her???? No one is after her? The fu€k?
It's like the Prometheus crew just ignored their video feed  ???

And yeah, Ford gets her ass kicked and says something about. Nobody even cares about the creature onboard. Shaw says nothing, David's like, "whatever"

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 08, 2012, 08:20:06 AM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 08, 2012, 08:17:55 AM

It's like the Prometheus crew just ignored their video feed  ???

That's not the best part, the best part is when Janek calls them and asks them where they are because of the ping and Milburn replies with a grid position. At this moment i must have done the loudest facepalm ever, i should have gotten a world record. How can you get lost when you can call out grid positions?

How can this gotten through all the different drafts of a script, be read by actors, the director, and actually shot and no one said, "Hey.... how can these two get lost with this line being spoken, ignoring the fact that there is also a map back at Prometheus." This is why my facepalm was so loud.

AmazSpiderMan1

AmazSpiderMan1

I honestly can say I hated the movie. I didn't like the reveal of what the Space Jockey's were, the continuity made absolutely no sense, the characters were flat and one dimensional, the plot lines jumbled together with virtually no resolution, and the music took away any ounce of suspense I might have felt. The trailers are better than the actual film, and I wanted to like this movie. I really really did. It just bothered me so much how little it made sense, and tried to fit in the "Alien" Universe when it clearly should have just been an unrelated project. When the credits started to roll I just felt like crap, saying, "Um...that's it? That's the movie? Oh. Ok...."

It's just my opinion, and I'm trying real hard right now to find some thread that makes me see new meaning in what I just watched, but it's just not a very good movie. I feel like it even hurts the original "Alien" in some way, knowing Shaw and David's severed head are flying a space jockey ship somewhere while the Nostromo is tugging along. Ugh. It's just so wrong. I'm going to have a hard time sleeping tonight over this movie.

MasCot

MasCot

Hello, my good people, long-time lurker here!

After reading a few fan reviews, my expectations were very low, but the movie turned out be a pleasant surprise. There were things that I disliked, but oh well...:)

I would rate it 7.5/10.

I would rate it as the third best movie in the Alien franchise, even though this is hardly an Alien film.

Spoiler

THE BAD
- not enough character moments, I agree that a lot of dialogue must have been cut
- too many underused characters, less would have been more
- sometimes the characters acted stupidly... e.g. when the Juggernaut crashed and started rolling, why didn't Vickers and Shaw run sideways or at least diagonally, instead of letting the wreckage 'chase' them?
- Weyland LOOKED like an actor in heavy make-up
- the Weyland-David-Vickers triangle should have played a much more prominent role in the story
- the film seemed like the 'Little Shop of Horrors of the Engineers', monster after monster... once again, less would have been more, but I guess the monster was the black goo
- unless the Alien's cousin will be in the sequel, it was really unnecesarry to feature him at the end of this movie
- the ending felt rushed, another five minutes wouldn't have hurt...

THE GOOD
- I was surprised how I much I liked the overall concept, the 'Alien connection' even felt a bit superfluous to the story... even though I hate Daniken's theories in real life and I am an Alien fan:)
- I liked that the story was mysterious (I enjoyed Indy 4, but I think one of the faults of that movie was that it treated viewers like idiots)
- the mood of the film was brilliant IMO, it was beautifully shot
- I really liked the core characters: Shaw, David, Janek and even Vickers
- the Engineer designs looked surprisingly good
- the main musical themes worked for me

What could have made the film better IMO?
- more dialogue to make us care more about the characters
- perhaps more scenes on the ship Prometheus
- more emphasis on Weyland-Vickers-David
- I think Shaw's religiosity should have been heavily contrasted with Weyland's God complex
- increase the role of Vickers
- lose Holloway and increase the role of Janek, because although I liked Holloway, he was ultimately useless for the story, I mean what did he really do?
- lose the Fifield-zombie and introduce the frozen Engineer earlier
- lose the Alien's cousin... but I guess the Alien fandom would have rebelled :P

[close]

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Well, I just got back from seeing it a la the midnight showing. Strap yourself in folks, this is going to be a long-ass review.  ;D
  I don't know where to start really. As soon as it finished, I wasn't exactly sure on how I felt about the movie overall, it was a pretty confusing experience. An uneven mix of good, mediocre and bad. Now to the review which will have spoilers galore.
Spoiler
it was definitely better than both avp films, so anyone who said otherwise in their review here is full of it.  ;D Let's at least establish that upfront. It clearly was nowhere near as good as Alien or Aliens, but I knew that before I went to see it and wasn't expecting it to approach those films.
    Also as almost every review states, Michael Fassbender was amazing as David 8. He really gives it his all and stretches his role to the limit, doing all he can with the script and plot he had to work with. Noomi Rapace was good too, but her character, Elizabeth Shaw kind of had some annoying lines, mainly to do with her beliefs ("It's what I choose to believe" etc.), but it wasn't a predominant theme as you might expect. Logan Marshall Green was actually good in his role, but the problem is, his character didn't really do too much. (Other than have sex, talk a little bit and get roasted by Vickers)
Idris Alba was good too, but once again his character, Janek, pretty much stayed on the ship's bridge the whole movie, watching monitors and such. (with the exception of his containment of the mutant, uber-Fifeld zombie)
Charlize Theron was good but hardly does anything, apart from burning Holloway to death. Her death was lame and felt dictated by the need to get rid of her and move the plot along towards the film's final act. (crushed wizard of oz style by the falling ship.  :D)
    Anybody else worth mentioning for their standout acting role? Not really, with the possible exception of guy pierce,(who looked unconvincing and pretty retarded as the decrepit, dying Peter Weyland but I'll get to that/rant about it soon enough) Katie Dickie's character, Ford was pretty useless. She was just there in the background and played assistant to Shaw here and there in some scenes(examining the jockey head etc.) but didn't have to many lines or do too much. She also happens to survive for most of the movie, only to get smacked around by the musclebound meathead of a jockey who is awakened towards the end of the film and meets her end in a pretty boring way.
   I kind of liked Sean Harris as FIfeld, or at least I would have more if his character was more developed and he had more screen time. Rafe Spall was hardly in the film as Milburn and his death sequence by the hammerpede, while one of the coolest parts of the film, didn't lead to anything that contributed to the rest of the movie. He also just dies apparently when it goes in his mouth. (Also, was it just me, or did the hammerpede regrow it's head when it was cut by Fifeld?)
  As people have harped on, time and time again, there really were too many "redshirts". Too many no-name mercenaries and technicians who either have no lines or literally one line or two. The two co-pilots Chance and Ravel were really pointless characters too. The lines they had were often just pitiful attempts at humor that no one in the theater laughed at. Their eagerness to face the ultimate finality of death in a colllision with the jockey ship seemed really weird and unrealistic. Just bad writing. I have no idea what the whole "hands up!" thing was supposed to mean either.
   The jockeys, suprisingly weren't in the film too much either, save for hologram sequences, which there were two of. The attempt to reanimate the jockey head was pretty retarded too, because it ruins an otherwise badass scene where they take the helmet off of it. The scene in the beginning with the sacrifice engineer was cool, but i did almost laugh at the grunts he made. The engineer that gets awoken is in the movie for like less than ten minutes. They wake him up and bam, he rips david's head off, kills weyland, a random mercenary and Ford. Then he attacks shaw, giant squid gets him and that's it for his presence in the film.
   The medpod squid extraction scene, as expected, was one of the coolest in the film. The squid itself, really does look like a squid, not simply the closest analogy to reference it, but rather like a grey squid which just flails its tentacles around and makes screeching noises. In it's bigger form, it was an ok creature, but nothing to be impressed by. The so-called "proto-alien" was a little weird, and could have been a little better. The only shot of it I liked was when it turned its head and moved its version of an inner jaw out.
Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes, Peter Weyland as the old fossil. He was pretty pointless. No sooner is he brought out of hypersleep aboard the ship to be taken to see the living engineer to be killed by him.
  So in conclusion, I'd say that the film had a lot of redeeming qualities, great visuals (both the planet, the temple and the prometheus itself were all beautifully designed set pieces) It's just held back by awkward pacing, some bad dialogue peppered throughout, underdeveloped/underused characters and a lack of cohesion between the various ambitious directions the film tries to take from one minute to the next. It was by no means horrible. It was an ok film, perhaps worthy of being called "good", but certaintly not great.
[close]
So, I guess it gets a 3.5 out of 5.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed