Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,376 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: mastermoon on Jun 07, 2012, 05:01:48 PM
What does a damn video game like Mass Effect 3 have to do with Prometheus?, thats just like comparing Resident Evil 5 with Predators.

It's more like an interactive movie.

Similar elements... Sequel everyone's wait for, for ages. Science-fiction. Clearly inspired by Ridley Scott/James Cameron stuff. Plus, has a final scene most people hate. :)

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Jun 07, 2012, 06:38:39 PM
JeremyJahns liked the movie and I always enjoy hearing his opinions on movies. He gets my approval!

"'Prometheus' is not an 'Alien' prequel. It's not. I'm just saying that. I will say that now. It's not an 'Alien' prequel."

The cynic in me wants to point, laugh and say that's an opinion disqualifier, right there...

Prime113

Prime113

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8wYBClAtek#ws

JeremyJahns liked the movie and I always enjoy hearing his opinions on movies. He gets my approval!

How does he get to see movies early? I thought he was just a normal civilian that just happen to do really good movie reviews.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 07, 2012, 07:13:24 PM

How does he get to see movies early? I thought he was just a normal civilian that just happen to do really good movie reviews.

Civvies can get into reviewer screenings too. I have seen a handful of movies through screenings with reviewers. 

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Jun 07, 2012, 07:28:28 PM
Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 07, 2012, 07:13:24 PM

Civvies can get into reviewer screenings too. I have seen a handful of movies through screenings with reviewers.

Ahhh. Alright, then. Thanks, man.  :)

8thPassenger

8thPassenger

It's now been a week since I saw Prometheus. I left the theater with mixed feelings about the film, but gave it a score of 3/5. Now, what's interesting that I haven't thought about the film at all after that. It had no lasting effect, and it didn't really engage me on any deeper level. Which is fine. Most movies I see are like that. I still give Prometheus the same score. It was visually wonderful, and there were many good moments.

I guess I'm just a bit disappointed that the movie was just OK. I feel like it had so much more potential, but was watered down to make money. Which, again, I understand. It was a big investment and has to make a profit. So it has to cater to a wide audience. But for me, there were many elements in the film I really didn't care for. First and foremost, I didn't like the grand idea of the Jockeys creating us humans. Ever since I heard that the movie was about that, I was pretty sure I wouldn't like it that much.

See, I have nothing against big ideas. I have an academic background. I think about things. But I cannot force myself to think that a movie is "deep" or "intellectual", just because it suggests that we were created by blue giants with some black goo. We weren't. I'm pretty sure of that. So I don't find that whole theme particularly interesting. Instead, I would rather read a scientific book about various theories about the origins of life on earth, and watch a movie about something else. A good movie, preferably.

But just because the movie has themes I personally don't like, it doesn't mean the movie is bad. And Prometheus wasn't. But I felt that toying with these big ideas took something away from the story and characters, and those things are really important to me in a film. The characters have to seem like real people in a real situation, or else I'm not really that impressed. Unless the film is a comedy, in which case unrealistic behavior is very much accepted. In Prometheus, a lot of the dialogue and how the characters responded to situations just didn't feel right to me, and as a result all the grand ideas, horror moments and great visuals kinda lost their point. The noose didn't get tighter around anybody's neck. The movie did try to get deeper by revealing Weyland's presence and Vickers' relationship with him, but for me that was pretty much pointless. Were we supposed to be shocked, or surprised? Or to care? I didn't. The're we're just too many overlapping things going on, that the film didn't really have time to properly focus on any of them.

So, I didn't mind the fact Prometheus wasn't a strict prequel to Alien, or that it didn't explain the origins of the xenos in full detail. I can, and gladly use my imagination. But what ultimately made this film just an OK one, was that it didn't get under my skin. There was no atmosphere.

Hubbs

Hubbs

"'Prometheus' is not an 'Alien' prequel. It's not. I'm just saying that. I will say that now. It's not an 'Alien' prequel."

Errr love you Jeremy but yes it is, its a film setting up the origins of the alien creature and showing you who the 'space jockeys' are. The alien creature is created within this film, the sequel will explore more and maybe the third film will tie everything all together. Not a prequel directly to 'Alien' but a prequel to the Alien story.

See this as the new Star Wars prequel setup, we have the classic trilogy and now we are hopefully gonna get the new prequel setup which will link all the events together. Could be wrong but to leave it as it is would be foolish Mr Scott.

Zeta Reticuli

Zeta Reticuli

this movie was the biggest disappointment ever. most of the stuff that's happening is not explained in any way and the stuff that is supposed to make sense is scientific bullshit. this leaves no rational foundation for anything in the movie. it was just a sequence of totally random stuff happening mixed with ridiculous, incomprehensible character behaviour and ZERO character development. Fassbenders great performance was totally wasted here.

this movie took everything ALIEN stands for and pissed all over it.
great visuals my ass.

mastermoon

mastermoon

Quote from: Zeta Reticuli on Jun 07, 2012, 08:57:39 PM
this movie was the biggest disappointment ever. most of the stuff that's happening is not explained in any way and the stuff that is supposed to make sense is scientific bullshit. this leaves no rational foundation for anything in the movie. it was just a sequence of totally random stuff happening mixed with ridiculous, incomprehensible character behaviour and ZERO character development. Fassbenders great performance was totally wasted here.

great visuals my ass.

But Shaw and David 8 were pretty much had the most character development.

Zeta Reticuli

Zeta Reticuli

Quote from: mastermoon on Jun 07, 2012, 09:03:30 PM
Quote from: Zeta Reticuli on Jun 07, 2012, 08:57:39 PM

great visuals my ass.

But Shaw and David 8 were pretty much had the most character development.

Spoiler
at the end of the movie, Shaw is still a "believer" and even worse than that: she does not hesitate and still is eager to find the same "answers" she had been searching for the whole time. the stuff that happened to Shaw could have very well lead to a change in her point of view and changed her character, but in fact, it didn't.
David also has been searching for knowledge the whole time while at the same time having to serve his human masters. the only thing thats different in the end of the movie is that he no longer has to follow Weylands orders to work in secrecy and doesn't have to do "unethical" stuff to his crewmates. so now that his master is gone, he has to obey the last human survivor. that's, at best, "forced" character development.
[close]

SiL

SiL

Quote from: szkoki on Jun 07, 2012, 12:44:24 PM
the movie has great ideas that really break new ground
I really doesn't. There's nothing new in any of it.

Unless you mean for the series.

Quote from: Darkness on Jun 07, 2012, 03:35:49 PM
But it is an Alien prequel whether you like it or not. Are you saying it's not canon?
I'm saying I really cannot be assed caring about what is or isn't "canon" any more.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Quote from: SiL on Jun 07, 2012, 12:40:06 PM
Spoiler
Got back an hour and a half ago from it. Was going to write some lengthy review, but here's my short version instead:

"DAVID! WE ARE LEAVING!"

Said very much ala Hicks in Aliens.

I was never looking forward to the idea of an Alien prequel. I didn't see the point. Frankly, I still don't, all things considered. The answer to the question of "What's the Space Jockey" is, as David says of Shaw's question at the end of the movie, irrelevant. There is a big dead alien thing in a chair. Creepy. But the real star is what's in the hold; the Jockey, and its relation to the Alien, is entirely irrelevant to one's understanding or appreciation of Alien.

So to all those people calling those who were unimpressed, disappointed, even outright upset by how Prometheus turned out, I have this to say:

Haters gonna make some good points.

Many of which I don't agree with.

f**k all y'all, I enjoyed it. A classic? No. Alien? Sheeeeit, no. A welcome big-budget antidote to Avatar? Yes.

Its pace is awkward, it gets flabby in the middle,
Spoiler
why the f**k does no-one even think to look for what Shaw did with her squid baby, seriously, and no "They were waking up Weyland" is not a valid f**king reason to not look for the mutated alien spawn that David at least knew was somewhere and two other people were knocked out over
[close]
, and holy shit those last eight minutes were the dumbest f**king thing they could possibly have done to finish short of Nyan cat herself swooping in to whisk the survivor(s) off to Neverland, but it does not try to "out-epic" itself, there's only one real plot hole
Spoiler
SERIOUSLY, NO ONE EVEN LOOKED FOR THE THING? VICKERS NEVER WENT BACK TO HER POD? WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE?!
[close]
, there's exactly one unanswered question that the sequel needs to answer
Spoiler
Why did they change their minds?
[close]
and its visuals in 3D more than justify a trip to see it in theaters at least once.

The cinema fan in me liked it as an experience, and as a big-budget sci-fi that wasn't as useless as Avatar. The sci-fi fan liked the pretty visuals. And the Alien fan somehow found it in himself to get over the fact the Jockey is a dude in a suit. Honestly, that never bothered me while watching it, and thinking back, it still doesn't.

I'll dislike it the more I watch it on DVD. It's inevitable; the film held up for its visuals and its spectacle. But it's not terrible. It's not brilliant, when certainly it could have been, but f**k it:

It's better than Alien Resurrection.

And a better movie than Alien3, which isn't hard, production problems, yadda yadda.

Of the series, I'd rank it nowhere. It's not part of it. It's a spinoff, for me. It's its own thing. And it's just dandy like that as far as I'm concerned.
[close]

Avatar left a horrid taste in my mouth that I hope will be washed off with Prometheus.

szkoki

szkoki

cmon...avatar is just a pocahontas story with blue people on a distant planet

redalert51

redalert51

I personally liked it , with no expectation of being a prequel to " Alien " . Sadly it cannot be done , Alien stands alone in cinema
history with a lot of clones sinces. I watch it in 3D ( it is great idea , that some cinema complexes have both 2D& 3D ) and looked
great . I enjoyed Prometheus but as said earlier if have you have not seen it , see as nothing to do with Alien ,it is had approach
to have when earlier it was going to be prequel and then not , if I am correct this is around about 2010 , it was announced as a
Ridley Scott's foray back into Sci Fi , Horror .

szkoki

szkoki

i'll give a 8/10 to this movie the character development and the build up is lacking in some parts but the ideas and the questions that it presents are cool and there are great actors and great performances

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SiL on Jun 07, 2012, 09:29:53 PM
Quote from: szkoki on Jun 07, 2012, 12:44:24 PM
the movie has great ideas that really break new ground
I really doesn't. There's nothing new in any of it.

New or original doesnt equal good. Or bad. Alien was the best example of that. Its the presentation and context of ideas that make a difference. I think Prometheus did extremely well with subjects of ufo alien life creators, alien bioweapons created via dna strands (idea used in Species for example) and brought a very unique and unexpected backstory to the Jockey. No one expected the guy to be an engineer of life in a suit

It couldve been so cheesy and so old, yet it felt new, fresh and inviting

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed