Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 319,117 times)

tonyt2000

tonyt2000

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jun 07, 2012, 03:23:22 AM
The film just jumps around too much, and what lines the characters do have are fairly droll. The treatment of Kate Dickie's Ford is deplorable IMO.

I agree completely.  I expected at least her character to be far more well-developed but she just quickly became cannon fodder like most everyone else. 

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

But where there really any standout inspirational lines in the first Alien? Really? Really? The dialogue was allways merely functional and realistic... spartan.

Aliens does have quite a few good lines though. :laugh:

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Inspirational?  No.  But plenty of great lines in Alien, often due simply to delivery.  Or improv.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

regarding "inspirational"... i was just using someone else's choice of words about the lack of "inspirational" dialogue in Prometheus.

The lines in Alien were spartan as hell... they were "just" associated with great moments in the film

for instance:
Spoiler
Ash is a robot! He's a goddamn robot!
[close]

It's merely functional. It gets the job done.

it's just associated with one of the most brilliant moments in scifi filmmaking. :laugh:

r888

r888

Well I just came back from it , it f**king awesome , Yes I will see it again
I Love the proto xeno at the end, I thought the engineer were great, Fassbinder's performance great and amazing, I love  Noomi Rapace perfromance I though she was great especially that surgery scene.

Well done ripley scott

I love you noomi rapace

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

What was the classical piece that played during the credits?

Did it fit well?

r888

r888

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 07, 2012, 04:25:40 AM
What was the classical piece that played during the credits?

Did it fit well?

It work very well (in my opinion)
I don't what the score was called sorry

Hubbs

Hubbs

The surgery scene was very tense and well done I agree, reminded me of Alien 3 somewhat, homage?

tonyt2000

tonyt2000

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 07, 2012, 03:25:22 AM
And it's clear David is the star already, yes.  Scott is fascinated by him, and rightly so.  But in actuality, the intro I saw really wasn't that different from how Cameron handled the large marine complement of Aliens.

True, good point.  It still seems like we got a slightly better handle on everyone's individual personalities even then, though, at least enough to serve the purpose of the story.

r888

r888

Maybe the one point I was dissappointed with the film is that squid facehugger thing

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Another thing I noticed is that at the end of the film I felt as though I did not just see the film that I paid to see, but rather a prologue to the film that I paid to see.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: tonyt2000 on Jun 07, 2012, 04:38:36 AM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Jun 07, 2012, 03:25:22 AM
And it's clear David is the star already, yes.  Scott is fascinated by him, and rightly so.  But in actuality, the intro I saw really wasn't that different from how Cameron handled the large marine complement of Aliens.

True, good point.  It still seems like we got a slightly better handle on everyone's individual personalities even then, though, at least enough to serve the purpose of the story.
I think the biggest difference in terms of characterisation between Alien and Prometheus is not in terms of quality/substance, but style. Alien is performed and scripted much more 'realistically'... some of the improv comes into play there I'm sure... and as a result the performance are more realistic. Prometheus is performed/scripted like a big budget blockbuster. Stylistically, Ridley is not looking for that same level of reality... it's a lot more fantastical (IMHO).

samoht

samoht

I am disappointed by the extreme sense of confusion that this film brings to me.

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jun 07, 2012, 05:56:12 AM
Another thing I noticed is that at the end of the film I felt as though I did not just see the film that I paid to see, but rather a prologue to the film that I paid to see.

I completely agree.

Other than that, I really loved this film. I almost kept ejaculating all over the seats in front of me with pure excitement.

sampson3121

sampson3121

Quote from: Xenoscream on May 30, 2012, 01:22:55 PM
Right... I've just seen Prometheus in Lille, France. I came A long way to see it and my hopes for the film were very high.

I'm going to try not to give any major spoilers but read this at your own risk, I will say however that if you have watched the first 2 trailers or more, you have basically seen the whole movie.

It's hard to look at the film objectively since alien is my favourite film of all time. But here goes.

Plot: this was fairly weak and predictable, there were a few good unanswered questions, but very few and far between, mostly you were spoon fed a very straight forward expansion of the trailers, in fact all the main surprises bar one (I'll get to that) were in the trailers.... This was a bit of a let down for me but at the same time won't affect the rating I give the film as its my own fault for watching trailers etc. I do feel that the story could have been much more impact full given the subject matter. That said its still a solid film overall.

One thing I have to say about the plot is that some of the reactions, or more specifically Non-reactions to some quite alarming events by characters are nuts...some serious shit hits the fan and the next scene it's as if nothing has happened... Quite poor if you ask me.

Characters: this is where the the film shines and falls down at the same time, David is great and a complex character, in fact I'd go as far to say he steals the show and it could have easily been his story. The crew of the Prometheus is 17 and honestly I'd say 10 of them don't do or say anything and just add to the body count...I really think the film would have been better cutting down the cast and making it more intimate like the original. I hate to say this but several times in this movie I was reminded of avp1, and some of the characters feel like the fell straight out of andersons story and into this one.

Gripes aside the "main" characters are all well acted and I think did a good job, I do feel that there was more potential particularly between vickers and David to expand the relationship.

Visuals: everything looked fantastic with the exception of the creatures. Apparently no one told Ridley that Tenticles are not scary and make any creature that has them a joke. There are several Tenticled creatures in the film and the looked stupid to me I won't say anymore than that.

Oh and remember that report of the 3 xenon sat next to each other outside a stage during production? Well I can confirm that's a load of bull.

There is also an... Abomination to Alien in the film, but I can't say more without giving away possibly the only thing which is not in the trailer... I'm sure it's going to be one of the most hotly debated topics on the boards soon though.

The engineer is also about 10ft tall in the movie (he's also a douchebag)

Summary:

I wanted to love this film, but some of the stuff in it really shits on Alien, human space jockeys, creatures which would make h.r.giger laugh, a complete set up for another movie, which is almost cringe worthy. These are things which hurt me as a fan, that aside it is a good movie... Id give it a 5/10 as a fan and a 7/10 for anyone else.

Final message is this: Ridley why the f**k did you have h.r.giger on your set and not use him, the murals were the best damn thing in the whole movie (im not kidding) (someone even says "look murals" lol) and also it's clear Ridley is a big avp fan boy (you'll know what I mean when you see it)

Final note an hour after I wrote this, don't be put off, it is a good film, just not the prequel I personaly was hoping for.
it was a good opening act of three, with two more to come. i liked it and can't wait for the next one, that's if he makes another cause if he reads all u spoiled brats reviews i doubt he will even bother.

SiL

SiL

Got back an hour and a half ago from it. Was going to write some lengthy review, but here's my short version instead:

"DAVID! WE ARE LEAVING!"

Said very much ala Hicks in Aliens.

I was never looking forward to the idea of an Alien prequel. I didn't see the point. Frankly, I still don't, all things considered. The answer to the question of "What's the Space Jockey" is, as David says of Shaw's question at the end of the movie, irrelevant. There is a big dead alien thing in a chair. Creepy. But the real star is what's in the hold; the Jockey, and its relation to the Alien, is entirely irrelevant to one's understanding or appreciation of Alien.

So to all those people calling those who were unimpressed, disappointed, even outright upset by how Prometheus turned out, I have this to say:

Haters gonna make some good points.

Many of which I don't agree with.

f**k all y'all, I enjoyed it. A classic? No. Alien? Sheeeeit, no. A welcome big-budget antidote to Avatar? Yes.

Its pace is awkward, it gets flabby in the middle,
Spoiler
why the f**k does no-one even think to look for what Shaw did with her squid baby, seriously, and no "They were waking up Weyland" is not a valid f**king reason to not look for the mutated alien spawn that David at least knew was somewhere and two other people were knocked out over
[close]
, and holy shit those last eight minutes were the dumbest f**king thing they could possibly have done to finish short of Nyan cat herself swooping in to whisk the survivor(s) off to Neverland, but it does not try to "out-epic" itself, there's only one real plot hole
Spoiler
SERIOUSLY, NO ONE EVEN LOOKED FOR THE THING? VICKERS NEVER WENT BACK TO HER POD? WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS WRONG WITH EVERYONE?!
[close]
, there's exactly one unanswered question that the sequel needs to answer
Spoiler
Why did they change their minds?
[close]
and its visuals in 3D more than justify a trip to see it in theaters at least once.

The cinema fan in me liked it as an experience, and as a big-budget sci-fi that wasn't as useless as Avatar. The sci-fi fan liked the pretty visuals. And the Alien fan somehow found it in himself to get over the fact the Jockey is a dude in a suit. Honestly, that never bothered me while watching it, and thinking back, it still doesn't.

I'll dislike it the more I watch it on DVD. It's inevitable; the film held up for its visuals and its spectacle. But it's not terrible. It's not brilliant, when certainly it could have been, but f**k it:

It's better than Alien Resurrection.

And a better movie than Alien3, which isn't hard, production problems, yadda yadda.

Of the series, I'd rank it nowhere. It's not part of it. It's a spinoff, for me. It's its own thing. And it's just dandy like that as far as I'm concerned.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed