Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 316,906 times)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

I can see why this film is so polarizing. I guess it depends on how much the flaws affect you personally. For me, this was a great film ruined by some god-awful, groan-inducing moments that wrench you out of the movie and plant you back in the cinema, which is a shame, because the first half had me totally engrossed.

And the fan-service ending leaves a bad taste in the mouth, no doubt one of the main reasons that some fans have reacted so badly.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 06, 2012, 10:35:19 PM
Glad you liked the movie Adrian, but you really should change your signature - a lot of people on the boards have been trying to avoid that image.

No problemo

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 07, 2012, 01:05:14 AM
Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 06, 2012, 10:35:19 PM
Glad you liked the movie Adrian, but you really should change your signature - a lot of people on the boards have been trying to avoid that image.

No problemo
Thanks man  8)

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Saw it tonight.. 3/4 stars.. flawed but very enjoyable. Easily better than Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection... and for f**ks sakes.. let's not speak of the 2 AVP films ever again.

Spoiler
Shaw's abortion scene.. giggity! The entire audience was on the edge of their seat. One of the finest scenes in the entire alien series. Easily.
[close]

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

All this talk about character development....when I think back to the alien series....I only remember one to 2 main characters with plausible development per film.

tonyt2000

tonyt2000

Saw it and have to say that I liked it quite a bit more than I expected to.  Yes, it's flawed and the pacing is a bit too brisk for a 2-hour film (it at least seems like there was some pretty judicious editing), but it's nowhere near as bad as it's been made out to be.  To me, it makes for a good first installment and is begging for a better sequel.  I think that Lindelof has been given far too much blame for the script when everything I've read seems to indicate that the ideas he infused into his re-write were mostly Scott's and that the script supposedly didn't undergo an enormous transformation from Spaihts's original.  If I had to rate it, I'd give it a solid 3/4.  It's definitely overstuffed and the "suprise" subplot and frankly the ending could have both easily been excised to make room for better development of the other ideas.  Flaws and all, Scott's ambition is admirable and it's a damned sight better than nearly any big-budget science fiction film I've seen in years, including the "Star Trek" reboot, which I enjoyed but thought was flawed for many of the same reasons as "Prometheus".

I absolutely LOVED the design of the Engineers and the visuals were, in a word, stunning.  One of my biggest gripes was the lack of development on the crew mutations and quite a few of the suppositions on what the planet was, what the Engineers' mission was, etc. were arrived at a bit too quickly and pat for my taste, but again, they didn't sink the film overall, and I'm super super picky 'bout my sci-fi.  "Blade Runner" and "Alien" are still the gold standard for me, but Ridley has made a worthy entry into the cannon and probably his best film in many many years.  And hey, it's gotta be better than "Alien Resurrection"....

Bottom line is, DON'T go in expecting it to be "Alien".  It really is a different beast entirely and while flawed is damned good.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 07, 2012, 02:55:20 AM
All this talk about character development....when I think back to the alien series....I only remember one to 2 main characters with plausible development per film.

I actually got out of Prometheus with the notion that i got to know the characters a bit better than in the first Alien.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Well, that's true in its way, right off the bat.

The script for Alien is extremely spare on character detail.  90% of what we know about those people comes from performance, from improvisation, but you quickly feel as though you can relate to them and their issues as space truckers thanks to those performances.

With Prometheus, a big sprawling 'exploring outer space!' epic, you get to know the people a bit more traditionally, as they also introduce themselves to each other in places.  They're very different ensembles for different movies. 
Spoiler
And the movie opens on David, and his journey, apart from the others and fascinated with Shaw and her faith.
[close]

Cvalda

Cvalda

ಠ_ಠ

First Blood

First Blood

I don't see how that's possible. Everyone in Alien got ample screen time. And were defined well enough.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

ThisBethesdaSea... "plausible" probably isnt the best word for that phrase.. At least in the first 2 films the characters are very plausible. (in the 3rd too.... and the motivations in Alien Resurrection seem pretty clear and plausible for the most part to me.)

but yes... the first 2 Alien films arent known for their deep exploration of character. But that's not what they were aiming at. And it's not an issue. ;)

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I wouldn't consider Kane that well defined.  He exists to explore and die.  Beyond that I think he gets by on John Hurt's fine, engaging performance.  And Brett is a lot of fun but he is still basically Parker's follower.  That is his trait - the co-worker who is subjugated by a larger, stronger personality.  We all know guys like that.  That's why all those characters work, even when the script is very sparse; we know people like that, and they are portrayed exceptionally well.

With Prometheus it's a different movie, and a different kind of crew and story.  These people are largely strangers even to each other.  They're on an assignment.  So far what I've seen of the intro works for me, but we'll see how it goes.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

The film just jumps around too much, and what lines the characters do have are fairly droll. The treatment of Kate Dickie's Ford is deplorable IMO.

tonyt2000

tonyt2000

Fassbinder's performance was, hands-down, the best.  I loved David's emergent mischievousness and his subtle insults to the crew.  Character development was given the short-shrift definitely, but the crew compliment of the Nostromo was at least half, if not less, than the Prometheus crew, so we got to know exactly what we needed to know about them in context of the "Alien" story, and pretty quickly, too.  I think that the sheer number of cast members sort of guaranteed that we weren't going to get that development, which I would have liked to see, as well as some of the half-formed ideas discarded in favor of better-developed ones.  Again, I quite enjoyed it and while not groundbreaking, was pretty damned good.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I do hope the additional footage gives Kate Dickie more to do.  That Scots accent is quite something, even early on.  Rafe Spall and Sean Harris do well.

And it's clear David is the star already, yes.  Scott is fascinated by him, and rightly so.  But in actuality, the intro I saw really wasn't that different from how Cameron handled the large marine complement of Aliens.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed