Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,669 times)

robertmartin

robertmartin

The more i think about this movie - the more it felt like a Star Trek film. Even down to the smooth landing, shuttlebay and uniforms.

Despicable Dugong

Despicable Dugong

I watched it last night and have reflected upon it before coming online to post my thoughts.

I for one was disappointed by the film. I knew going into it that the film would never live up to the rabid expectations of the legions of fanbois, i'd learned that the hard way with Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, so I went into this only wanting to see a well thought out and well acted science fiction film. Unfortunately even that lowly expectation appears to have been too vaunted.

Poor characterisation and development, dubious casting, clunky dialogue, a hole ridden plot. The score was way out of kilter with the on screen goings on, it just didn't fit well and jarred. The script, well, the least said about the script the better, the writers dropped the ball in a major way, sometimes it was merely baffling, other times laughable.

The one saving grace was Fassbender's performance. That was the only positive for me.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

DAT FASSBENDER...

JaaayDee

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

You love it, JayDee!

You love it!!!!

Don't you come crying to me when you do, and have nowhere to go but Mastermoon.

don't you dare...

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jun 04, 2012, 09:48:23 AM
You love it, JayDee!

You love it!!!!

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I Just love you. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Aw... aw f**k!

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Who says a movie has to stand on its own? Who puts regulations on what's acceptable art? We think a film should stand on its own because that the conformity we are taught. That said, I might end up not liking Prometheus after all, which is disappointing but fine :(

steviemac

steviemac

Quote from: ucdom on Jun 04, 2012, 07:57:28 AM
Here's my problem with the "mystery" and "questions" raised in Prometheus. Feel free to disagree, but this is how I feel.

There's nothing wrong with unanswered questions or mystery in movies, as long as they're not at the centre of the story.

Take Alien - there is the unanswered question of the derelict and the space jockey, but the story is focussed around the Nostromo crew and their fate, so the these questions have no direct bearing on the characters or the action that follows; the growth of the Alien is central and the Space Jockey is a tiny little tangential question.

In Prometheus, however, all the mystery has been pushed to the centre of the story. All of the characters' and the action revolve around unanswered questions, which ends up being profoundly unsatisfying to some audience members. It is - I think - deeply frustrating not to be able to grasp the motivation of a screen character, even by the end of the movie, because it is 'shrouded in mystery'. What you sense, as an audience member, is that the writer has no clue. And the idea that one would need to trawl through hours of extras or commentary on a disc released months later, just to understand what the film was about, defies logic.

Completely agree with this.

Only thing we know for sure is that the engineers seeded life on earth.
And they have a few space ships / underground bases. And they dont take too kindly to being woken up.
Other than that though, we know absolutely nothing. Anything else will have to be speculated on.

It also appears theyve headed out there, all that way from Earth, based on the cave paintings found.
Seems a big effort based on not very much info. A bit strange when you consider the type of guy Peter eyland is meant to be.
What i would assume is that they actually knew more (not got a clue how) and had some idea what they would come across.
However, again there is absolutely zero in the film to show that.

We actually know pretty much nothing about what is going on here, and for a stand alone movie that causes a big problem.
We dont know if theres gonna be a sequel, and if there is, it wont be around for a few years at least.
During which time we'll need to listen to all manner of speculation on whats going on, most of which will come from people's overactive brains.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

No, man.

Listen, look, you pay your money, they take your money.  The shit aint free.  if it were free, we could all say "f**k all" and th one would care.

They depend on your input, on your feedback, your ticket purchase, your expectation, your belief, etc...

It's all up to you, bro.  Do you have the courage to do what you feel is right?  That's what makes good film feedback, when the audience can say what they feel...

If you want them to just make AvPs, throw-away movies with NO ART, with no risk and no creation and no power, you go ahead and let them know, but most of us man... we want something like Alien, we want purity, we want art... f**k.

Who says Prom is that bad?  A great effort, great effort in these dismal times... it's a hard time to make a film, lads.  Let's acknowledge.. jesus... a hard time indeed.

Let us suport what is good, and be thankful.  But keep the dream alive, goddamnit.  It's not all-or-nothing.  Even with this near-miss Prometheus, the goddamned dream lives in me.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Here's my problem with the "mystery" and "questions" raised in Prometheus. Feel free to disagree, but this is how I feel.

There's nothing wrong with unanswered questions or mystery in movies, as long as they're not at the centre of the story.

Take Alien - there is the unanswered question of the derelict and the space jockey, but the story is focussed around the Nostromo crew and their fate, so the these questions have no direct bearing on the characters or the action that follows; the growth of the Alien is central and the Space Jockey is a tiny little tangential question.

In Prometheus, however, all the mystery has been pushed to the centre of the story. All of the characters' and the action revolve around unanswered questions, which ends up being profoundly unsatisfying to some audience members. It is - I think - deeply frustrating not to be able to grasp the motivation of a screen character, even by the end of the movie, because it is 'shrouded in mystery'. What you sense, as an audience member, is that the writer has no clue. And the idea that one would need to trawl through hours of extras or commentary on a disc released months later, just to understand what the film was about, defies logic.
I of course would agree that one shouldn't have to look through special features of a DVD to understand the plot or certain plot points. However, I think Alien was a movie with the same amount of un-answered questions... one could argue even more so given the routine nature of its very basic premise. You mention the whole derelict and SJ... which is simply a story mechanism to find the alien and get it on board the spaceship - that's fine. But what about the other key element of the entire plot i.e. the companies involvement? Did they know about the derelict/SJ? Why did the company feel the need to fill the position of the science officer with an android? Given that they placed Ash on board, with a hidden agenda, why not simply send a properly equipped team in the first place? That surely would have been more logical...

steviemac

steviemac

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 04, 2012, 11:06:25 AM

I of course would agree that one shouldn't have to look through special features of a DVD to understand the plot or certain plot points. However, I think Alien was a movie with the same amount of un-answered questions... one could argue even more so given the routine nature of its very basic premise. You mention the whole derelict and SJ... which is simply a story mechanism to find the alien and get it on board the spaceship - that's fine. But what about the other key element of the entire plot i.e. the companies involvement? Did they know about the derelict/SJ? Why did the company feel the need to fill the position of the science officer with an android? Given that they placed Ash on board, with a hidden agenda, why not simply send a properly equipped team in the first place? That surely would have been more logical...

Alien was more of an introduction though. Sure we had questions, but they came up based on what we saw in the film.
We went into Prometheus though with a whole host of questions, some of which were answered pretty loosely, and left it with even more questions. I again appreciate theres always gonna be questions needing answered, just think theres far too many here.
I know it would be difficult to do, but some sort of attempt at why the engineers seeded Earth would have been a start, possibly leading into what and why they were planning on doing on Earth following their return.

stemot

stemot

CBA doing a proper review. Took a while to get over the fact that there was only a little bit I hadn't seen from trailers or reading spoilers on here but after sleeping on it I realised that I really enjoyed it and like that they didn't explain too much so the fan base can do what they like to do with any Alien movie and try to unravel things for themselves.
I thought the ending with
Spoiler
The Protohugger and Alien
[close]
was well done too.
Overall really enjoyed it but even if I hadn't that first scene against the waterfall in 3D was worth the admission price alone. Amazing.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: steviemac on Jun 04, 2012, 11:17:39 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 04, 2012, 11:06:25 AM

Alien was more of an introduction though. Sure we had questions, but they came up based on what we saw in the film.
We went into Prometheus though with a whole host of questions, some of which were answered pretty loosely, and left it with even more questions. I again appreciate theres always gonna be questions needing answered, just think theres far too many here.
I know it would be difficult to do, but some sort of attempt at why the engineers seeded Earth would have been a start, possibly leading into what and why they were planning on doing on Earth following their return.
I think the movie has some flaws, sure enough... but it having unanswered questions are probably the least relevant/damaging (IMHO)... or perhaps I'm just too forgiving.  ;)

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

What disturbs me the most about some of the reviews I'm quickly glancing at is...

no one really is talking about the creatures? I've been a fan of the Alien franchise because of the beast, the monsters, the real star of the show. From what it sounds like the movie isn't scary at all and the creatures are barely present in the film and didn't get the fans talking.

I was expecting to see the next big creature that was going to wipe the floor of the original xenomorph, the only real logical reason I would think why Ridley took out the f**king xenomorph. You mean to tell me this film is just some dialogue marathon, hippie messages of life, with no real creature scares, adventure and horror? :-\

You mean to tell me we went from dome headed xenomorph who was far from retirement to....

a f**kin Jockey wearing xeno amour playing with a flute? :-[

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed