Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,639 times)

Necronomicon12UK

Necronomicon12UK

hfeldhaus: True, Shaw didn't join forces with her axe ..

Spoiler
no, we had a magically grown up cuddles let loose  *groan*
[close]

Glad ya enjoying watching all those movies up there in Scouseland :)

BLAIN: Now THAT is ridiculous  ;)
Prometheus is better than Transformers, i'll  give you that.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

yeah the squid was... one of the weaker points of the film but i just think the strong points make up for these. apart from the editing

Valaquen

Valaquen

For all I've criticised about the film, it is indeed a beautiful film with a few great performances. The opening blew me away. Ultimately, what let it down was shoddy editing in the last hour (and I mean shoddy) and misplaced musical cues.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 03, 2012, 07:22:46 AM
For all I've criticised about the film, it is indeed a beautiful film with a few great performances. The opening blew me away. Ultimately, what let it down was shoddy editing in the last hour (and I mean shoddy) and misplaced musical cues.
Can you give examples? I did think the score was over used, but that just seems to be the modern practise of having music behind every single shot/scene rather than it being 'misplaced' per se - IMO.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 03, 2012, 08:00:44 AM
Can you give example? I did the score was over used, but that just seems to be the modern practise of having music behind every single shot/scene rather than it being 'misplaced' per se - IMO.
Of the music? For example, the Alien theme playing during Weyland's speech. Should have come later, perhaps when the Ampule room was revealed, or even the Orrery, where it really would have connected to the original film (which is obviously what they were trying to do with its inclusion). The film's main adventure theme played through what would have been quiet, introspective or skin-crawling scenes. It was tonally way off and I remember wishing it would go away. Ridley should stuff the modern practice, I say. I'm hoping, hoping for a re-edit for the home release.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Outstanding review, Xenomorphine. Really well thought out, delivered and digested well.  Thanks for putting the time into making it.

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 03, 2012, 08:04:41 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 03, 2012, 08:00:44 AM
Can you give example? I did the score was over used, but that just seems to be the modern practise of having music behind every single shot/scene rather than it being 'misplaced' per se - IMO.
Of the music? For example, the Alien theme playing during Weyland's speech. Should have come later, perhaps when the Ampule room was revealed, or even the Orrery, where it really would have connected to the original film (which is obviously what they were trying to do with its inclusion). The film's main adventure theme played through what would have been quiet, introspective or skin-crawling scenes. It was tonally way off and I remember wishing it would go away. Ridley should stuff the modern practice, I say. I'm hoping, hoping for a re-edit for the home release.
Examples of both I was interested in valaquen. Re. score and cues. I can't agree about the Alien theme... as I'd hazard a guess that its inclusion at that point was a Ridley Scott choice and not the composer. So if Scott retrospectively wants that to be the cue for Weyland, or for a theme of exploration at any price, then that's his choice. We may not like it, but I don't think it makes the use of that theme there 'wrong' or bad filmmaking. Same applies to overuse of the score. I think it's pandering to the lowest common denominator, but it doesn't make it emperically bad film making.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 03, 2012, 08:18:51 AM
Examples of both I was interested in valequen. Re. score and cues. I can't agree about the Alien theme... as I'd hazard a guess that its inclusion at that point was a Ridley Scott choice and not the composer. So if Scott retrospectively wants that to be the cue for Weyland, or for a theme of exploration at any price, then that's his choice. We may not like it, but I don't think it makes the use of that theme there 'wrong' or bad filmmaking. Same applies to overuse of the score. I think it's pandering to the lowest common denominator, but it doesn't make it emperically bad film making.
I know it's his choice, Vile. I disagree with his choice. I'm not hysterically waving my arms around here  :P

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 03, 2012, 08:23:22 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Jun 03, 2012, 08:18:51 AM
Examples of both I was interested in valequen. Re. score and cues. I can't agree about the Alien theme... as I'd hazard a guess that its inclusion at that point was a Ridley Scott choice and not the composer. So if Scott retrospectively wants that to be the cue for Weyland, or for a theme of exploration at any price, then that's his choice. We may not like it, but I don't think it makes the use of that theme there 'wrong' or bad filmmaking. Same applies to overuse of the score. I think it's pandering to the lowest common denominator, but it doesn't make it emperically bad film making.
I know it's his choice, Vile. I disagree with his choice. I'm not hysterically waving my arms around here  :P
That's the point I was making. I don't like some of those choices too... But that's much more a personal taste/aesthetic thing rather than poor application of methods/styles by those involved. The use of the music in Alien is sublime (IMHO) and when the music is not there, it helps heighten the suspence. However, it seems that modern movies just don't like that approach now of 'more is less'.

eyesofthedemon

eyesofthedemon

Finally saw Prometheus yesterday,my quick review,No spoilers!

Firstly it was very entertaining with good performances from Rapace and Fassbender,David was a brilliant character that kind of carries the film at some points.
Visually its stunning,some of the best CGI ive ever seen,and by that i mean you don't really notice it!

A few con's for me though were that it all happens so quickly,there wasn't enough down time with dialogue between the characters,no slow burn build up to the climatic stuff/scares etc,to me it felt like it was edited down a lot!

And the worst bit for me was the Score (which is very important to me),it sounded like every other summer blockbuster to me,which surprised me as Marc Stretienfeld has done some great stuff before.

All in all the pro's far out weigh the con's for me

I really need to see it again,way to much to take in on first viewing

TronJockeyRequiem

TronJockeyRequiem

I'm still quite perplexed about my feelings on this movie so I am not going to write a long reply but just throw out a few thoughts so far. I currently rate the movie a 6/10 in my mind.

The things I thought were handled well:

1: Set design/lighting was superb. This film cannot be criticised from a design aspect. The ship, the temples, the star room, the creatures and the effects - all pretty damn good.

2: David - Fassbender owned the film and elevated each scene he was in. I loved the little nuances such as when he is walking around the ship at the beginning and the ship shudders, he does this cool little lean to balance himself. It was not human at all and looked very strange. It was excellent.

3: Shaw was handed well.

4: I loved the ending with David and Shaw climbing out of the ship - it looked like something from Aliens. It had a very cool feeling to it.

The things I thought could have been better:

1: The storyline was all over the place and there were so many scenes where the acting was awful. Kate Dickie as Ford should have been blasted out of the airlock. It was if she was reading from a bloody autocue. LMG was passable. The script felt like it was made for a TV show.

2: The jockey was underused massively.

3: The movie was simply not scary.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: RoaryUK on Jun 03, 2012, 01:28:43 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 03, 2012, 01:22:21 AM
Spoiler
And the "every child wants their parents dead" lines was... Bizarre. Where did he learn that from? Or did Ridley hint he's been watching late-night screenings of 'Gladiator'? :)
[close]

Wasn't that the line David quoted to Shaw in the Medpod room?  Not sure what he really meant either, just assumed it had something to do with him watching her dreams in hypersleep that I missed.  lol

I took it as a sly reference towards an aspect of human nature, while at the same time it also suggests a theme that David might find interesting to study, considering old Weylands quite arrogant treatment of him. He referrs to David as a son, but essentially treats him like a soulless servant.

I think it's pretty evident that David has been studying a lot about humans on the trip out there, but not in the sense that he aspire to become human himself or aquire human emotions. At one time, he directly says that he mimicks humans in order for humans to feel more comfortable around him - not the other way around.

tubbi11

tubbi11

Feel free to check out my review of "Prometheus" and leave a comment and rating while you're at it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsVdEFOLUgE#ws

eyesofthedemon

eyesofthedemon

I agree that Kate Dickie was awful,i loved it when she was thrown across the room by the Jockey,she had it coming for that "performance" :laugh:

Elba,Fassbender,Rapace and even Green's performances were pretty solid imo,although Green's "i love you babe" (or words to that effect) just before being torched was cringe worthy,the audience actually laughed

T Dog

T Dog

quote author=Psykorgasm link=topic=43750.msg1388221#msg1388221 date=1338681026]
Quote from: ucdom on Jun 02, 2012, 11:41:35 PM
Quote from: mastermoon on Jun 02, 2012, 11:40:28 PM

You people were thinking the movie would be perfect?.

No, just half decent.

That's the thing though, it IS more than a half decent film. Judging from alot of the topics on the forum, you all sound soo butthurt from the newborn at the end.

Let.It.Go. The film is good.
[/quote]

No it's not. It's immensly lazy and badly directed in every sense.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed