Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,369 times)

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

@eva.

but the problem is, if he was the only engineer here, and sacrificed himself to create life without his race knowing, then how did any humans get knowledge of them and the star system to draw the maps etc?... the maps imply that the engineers must have been visiting and possibly helping our development at least over a few thousand years. or at least one visitation which resulted in the knowledge spreading round the world (which makes less sense).

thanks

rich

Eva

Eva

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Jun 02, 2012, 11:35:19 AM
@eva.

but the problem is, if he was the only engineer here, and sacrificed himself to create life without his race knowing, then how did any humans get knowledge of them and the star system to draw the maps etc?... the maps imply that the engineers must have been visiting and possibly helping our development at least over a few thousand years. or at least one visitation which resulted in the knowledge spreading round the world (which makes less sense).

That's not what I wrote. I made a clear distinction between the sacrifice engineer and Prometheus  :)

Prometheus would have arrived at a late stage, when humans were somewhat emerging and starting to get a basic grasp of technology in the form of tools and such. The Scotland painting is 35.000 years old and might have been made shortly after his first encounter and interaction with humans. He would have returned at several occasions, revealing himself to different civilizations through the ages and the depictions of him interacting with humans have survived.

It's left for us to wonder what his motivations could have been. Selfserving or did he have benign intentions on our behalf?

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: Eva on Jun 02, 2012, 11:45:10 AM
Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Jun 02, 2012, 11:35:19 AM
@eva.

That's not what I wrote. I made a clear distinction between the sacrifice engineer and Prometheus  :)

Prometheus would have arrived at a late stage, when humans were somewhat emerging and starting to get a basic grasp of technology in the form of tools and such. The Scotland painting is 35.000 years old and might have been made shortly after his first encounter and interaction with humans. He would have returned at several occasions, revealing himself to different civilizations through the ages and the depictions of him interacting with humans have survived.

It's left for us to wonder what his motivations could have been. Selfserving or did he have benign intentions on our behalf?

yes, sorry for the confusion, i didnt mean you wrote that, i was a little distracted when writing that and didnt word it properly.

i like your theory, it works, but i really dont think ridley/lindeloff have even thought about it properly, it just seems like they just put it in hoping nobody would notice or question it too much.. hopefully they will take note and make a working explanation in a sequel.

personally i think david and shaw (and possibly the whole crew) are meant to be prometheus, david for stealing and messing with the black stuff, shaw for taking them there (the pregnancy being related to the eagle pecking prometheus liver).

but i dont know, all our theories may be wrong, maybe lindeloff will come out with an explanation as he eventually did with his lost ending lol

thanks

rich

Vickers

Vickers

Do any of you remember if this exact shot is in the film?

Spoiler

I know it seems like an odd question but to me this image is so well composed and atmospheric.  It's really one of my favourite shots.  I'm assuming it's a capture from the film and I really hope it's not one of the shots that got cut.
[close]

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: Vickers on Jun 02, 2012, 12:19:13 PM
Do any of you remember if this exact shot is in the film?

Spoiler

I know it seems like an odd question but to me this image is so well composed and atmospheric.  It's really one of my favourite shots.  I'm assuming it's a capture from the film and I really hope it's not one of the shots that got cut.
[close]

hmm, that scene is definitely in the film, but i think from another angle, i dont think that exact shot is, but i could be wrong.

thanks

rich

Eva

Eva

Sorry Vickers I can't recall about that exact shot - maybe others can...?  :-\

No problem Rich  ;)

PS: I doubt very much that Ridley, Lindelof and Spaihts 'haven't given it any thought', which is a notion that should not be confused with 'not having any definitive answers' to offer.

Alien demonstrated that mysteries can have a surviving charm of their own, perhaps even more so than any answer could ever hope to achieve. Personally I think that we - the audience - have changed since 1979. Quite a lot of people just don't have the patience, desire or inclination to struggle with mysteries in their movies/tv-series etc. anymore. They want answers spoonfeed to them before the lights turn on again. God forbid you would would actually have to think about what you've just watched...  ;)

Valaquen

Valaquen

I definitely didn't mind the lack of answers in regard to what the Engineers are, what their complete relationship to the humans is, or what exactly the black goo is - but I would have liked some coherence with the life-cycle of the creatures (hammerpede seems almost useless) and some deft characterisation for the protagonists. Those problems feel massive but the biggest problem was the complete lack of dramatic impact or tension. Again, editing. Very shoddy work, there.

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

agreed, its not the l;ack of answers thats the problem, its more the fact of things not making sense and confusing and messing up established canon in the same way the phantom menace did in 1999.

i like mysteries, i like things being left to wonder about, but only if they make sense.

thanks

rich

Mr. Knight

Mr. Knight

It's a mess of a film it really is. The script is just terrible, the story is incoherent, the dialogue is worthy of the Stars Wars prequels and there is absolutely no character development whatsoever. The film's only saving grace is it's production design, the sets are just gorgeous and really highlight the failing of CGI. I just hope this is Scott's last film, the drop in the quality of his output in the last 5 years has been huge.

Eva

Eva

Yeah, I'd agree with the creatures part. I've given it quite some thought and I can't find a coherent lifecycle logic that works within this film, not alone in context with Alien. The starbeast facehugger is my main gripe ... I can't make it fit anywhere...

stroggificated

stroggificated

Final Post:

The Thing (2011) > Prometheus

Theres no question about it.

MrLee

MrLee

Quote from: stroggificated on Jun 02, 2012, 01:52:14 PM
Final Post:

The Thing (2011) > Prometheus

Theres no question about it.

Damn i guess you must REALLY hate Prometheus to rank it below that shitfest of a movie haha

dave1978

dave1978

He has a point,  the Thing was better in may many ways.

Im totally gutted about Prometheus,  im never going to get excited about a movie ever again.  Why have film makers got so sloppy and lazy,  just think back to all the late 70's and 80's classic movies, there are so many of them.

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: dave1978 on Jun 02, 2012, 02:15:08 PM
He has a point,  the Thing was better in may many ways.

Im totally gutted about Prometheus,  im never going to get excited about a movie ever again.  Why have film makers got so sloppy and lazy,  just think back to all the late 70's and 80's classic movies, there are so many of them.

i actually agree, the things story was more consistent, was executed better, peoples reactions to things were better and the creatures were dfinitely better than that stupid squid and rubbish xeno.

thanks

rich

Well...i have to see it, but The Thing remake was shit. What a joke.
And till now Prometheus is getting raving reviews in Holland: http://www.moviemeter.nl/film/79820
Not so for The Thing 2011 (even tough it's dutch director): http://www.moviemeter.nl/film/70576

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed