Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,401 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

97 percent fresh from fans on Rotten Tomatoes! CRAZY

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: MrLee on Jun 02, 2012, 12:03:33 AM
Quote from: Ballzanya on Jun 02, 2012, 12:00:34 AM
Quote from: MrLee on Jun 01, 2012, 11:56:42 PM
^ The Hammerpede isnt of any relevance, im sure its created accidentally when

*spoiler*

the little worns in the ground crawl into the black goo
Now I'm confused, why do they have acid for blood then, if they were unintentionally created and not related in any way to the xenomorphs? Are the worms simply inhabitants of lv-223?
Also though if they grow into the hammerpede things in like 2 seconds I'll be pissed.  :D
People that havent seen the film and dont want spoilers, just dont read my posts if they have large paragraphs

Its over the course of a few hours. Im sure its the worms, they make a specific point of showing the worms upon entry. And then later showing the worms swimming in the pool of goo.

Ive no idea why they have acid for blood. One of the statues on the wall looks like THE alien... maybe its the same gene pool. Either way it makes no f**king sense. I mean, they make it as if the "proto alien" comes from an infected space jockey. So tell me why the space jockeys on LV-426 have the alien eggs stored as if they engineered them, why they have facehuggers that are all the same. If this one creature came from a mistake, long after the jockeys are gone. Tell me how this ties into the Alien saga. I cant see it.
Well, the hammerpedes are in the trailer so I didn't think I needed a spoiler tag to mention them here.  ;D

Frood

Frood

Just seen today on a 3D screen today.

I will admit I came in with huge expectations though tempered by previous reviews yet I was keen to be open minded for new unexpected scares which is what I wanted.

First off the 3D effect is sublime when the spacecraft goes in for the landing, there is a huge depth in the framing of each shot its just fantastic.  Pretty much all the major establishing shots look amazing.

I thought the exploration element wasnt taken as far as it could go especially with the two scared team members left behind.  I thought that could have been an oppurtunity for exploring more of the mystery of the wipe out of the SJs.

Characters wise, Fassbender does an exceptional job of creating a friendly character that whist still keeping friendly takes on a more menacing angle as the film goes on, it really was well done.  Noomi as Shaw does a good job but takes on elements of heroism that dont play out even when we know her convictions, I think it needed another step.

The scares, well there were not any in the sense of unique set ups, they usually used weird OTT SFX hits to accentuate the jump scare which I thought was pretty cheap.

The creatures,  I really liked the snake scene though I felt it was a bit forced and all the other action moments didnt seem to go anywhere or have connotations so Im thinking alot was cut out of the theatrical edit.  The proto Alien at the end just left me cold, terrible concept.  I thought the Alien 3 birthing scene was pretty powerful like in Hell Raiser 1  but this didnt have any of the menace of both of those films.

Altogeher I was left dissapointed that Scott seemed to have only taken the helm for choreography which is brilliant but left the storytelling to someone who cannot decide on any constistent primal menace which pretty much left everyone confused.

3/5

Lie

Lie

Quote from: MrLee on Jun 01, 2012, 11:53:46 PM
A few examples of how i feel, just to add a bit of light hearted humour to this situation.

Me to my girlfriend "Oh my god, this is just like aliens, this is getting awesome" *Film then gives plot twist*

When the credits roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtpyeLxVkI#

That's a perfect way to sum up the ending. ;D

Gash

Gash

Quote from: MrLee on Jun 02, 2012, 12:09:17 AM
Quote from: EEV-2501 on Jun 02, 2012, 12:08:23 AM
I think they just lurking around in the pyramid.

Why did the geologists even go back into that room anyway.... *over 9000*

They didn't. they hadn't been in the room, they left for the ship before the others entered it.

MrLee

MrLee

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 02, 2012, 12:13:32 AM
97 percent fresh from fans on Rotten Tomatoes! CRAZY

Im hoping it will change to more accurately display the quality of the film over the next week

Quote from: Gash on Jun 02, 2012, 12:27:23 AM
Quote from: MrLee on Jun 02, 2012, 12:09:17 AM
Quote from: EEV-2501 on Jun 02, 2012, 12:08:23 AM
I think they just lurking around in the pyramid.

Why did the geologists even go back into that room anyway.... *over 9000*

They didn't. they hadn't been in the room, they left for the ship before the others entered it.
They had been outside it though, they didnt like the look of it first time, why go back a second time... and enter.... aswell as not leave the room the moment they saw weird creatures.

Gash

Gash

As fair as I recall Milburn and Fifield leave the team when they see the body and before the door is opened. They go back in that direction after they're stranded and Janek spooks them with the 'ping' so they just go back in the direction they came from and look for somewhere to take refuge till after the storm. They haven't seen anything of the room to make them more wary of it than the corpse strewn corridor.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

POLL!

What scares you the most:
-Dead body in a corridor.
-Snake like creature from another planet very alive.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Le Celticant on Jun 02, 2012, 01:01:36 AM
POLL!

What scares you the most:
-Dead body in a corridor.
-Snake like creature from another planet very alive.

They assumed the room was empty. They were getting away from the 'ping' of a life form after being spooked by the site of a horde of bodies piled up at a doorway as if trying to escape. Yep, given the choice I'd go and sit and wait in what appeared to be an empty room.

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

So up until the final act of the film, are you guys generally satisfied with the product?

RICH-ENGLAND

RICH-ENGLAND

watched prometheus at 8pm uk time..

my honest thoughts?....

it started pretty well and has some amazing cinematography and i was also impressed with the 3d which gave some great depth to some of the scenes, but the starmap scene was just a carbon copy of the scene on the ship from avp1, and also made little sense as theyre just about to arrive at the planet before anyone is told why theyre even going there....

but i got over that and the film started to build into something promising.... fassbender is excellent as the borderline psychotic android and also i dont really get the critisism of logan marshall green as to me it appeared as though he was meant to play a character who was a bit of an ass to set up the whole reason for david to dislike him (and do what he did to him)and he did the job well.

but after the tension was built and all the pieces were set up for a good finish... it all went downhill fast, the film is a mess, bad editing, absolutely laughable creature design, uninspiring story, crap score which sounds more like it belongs in superman with the repetitive upbeat jingle and crappy forgettable characters (apart from fassbender who was excellent as david).

now as a long time alien movie fan, i was a little worried as soon as i saw some of the designs for suits, ship, holograms and flashy screens, etc and didnt think they were very fitting in the already established alien universe, now i understood why they took those decisions as they had to keep up with modern sci fi movies, so i chose to ignore that element as i was sure that ridley would deliver on story and creatures..... but no, the story makes things even worse and totally ruins the alien life cycle thats been established in the previous movies, it seriously makes no sense whatsoever anymore, and the creature designs belong in some silly b movie, in fact, if the asylum rips prometheus off then even they might desing/make better creatures than what we have here.....

now just to explain why the life cycle makes no sense... in the original alien, the creature is born of a space jockey which then lays eggs which then go on to infect kane and bring about kanes son, which is a biomechanical alien as we know and love which makes sense as the space jockey (at that point) was a biomechanical creature which going by what weve learned from other alien movies the alien takes (in part) some of the form and traits of its host, but in prometheus, we see at the very beginning that the space jockey/engineers are just big blue human/oids, not biomechanical at all, the bits that looked biomechanical in the trailer was actually a suit, so we have a humanoid wearing two suits to form the sj as we know them from alien which therefore cannot give the alien its biomechanical look, which works for the birthing in prometheus, but then makes consecutive aliens make no sense.

on top of that, the engineer/sj at the beginning drinks the black fluid which disintegrates him, now why doesnt it do that to the two worms that turn into hammerpedes?.

well, thats enough for now, i did actually enjoy watching it and my time at the cinema, and im glad ive seen it, and it does have some plus points, but overall, i feel like this is 1999, george lucas and the phantom menace all over again, if this movie was a stand alone sci fi movie that was totally unrelated to the alien franchise then i would maybe rate it a little higher, but because in my opinion it damages the alien life cycle i give it 4/10... its pretty rubbish.

thanks

rich

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

So, anyone in this thread that would place Prometheus down with AvP1&2?

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: JaaayDee on Jun 02, 2012, 04:18:19 AM

f**k No!!! Prometheus is very good

Zenomorph

Zenomorph

wooaaaah budddy
ease up turbo

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

You can probably discount anyone who says that Prometheus is a 'bad' movie... as they have no critical faculties.  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed