Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 319,151 times)

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Just back from the midnight showing up in Leeds and i have to say, overall, im very pleased with Prometheus.
I have never seen a more beautiful piece of modern film making, and i would say that the cinematography is even better than the likes of Lord of the Rings. I even found that the 3D is very effective in immersing you in the film, it is done just as well if not better than Avatar. The 3D especially helped with the lighting in the Juggernaut, the interior 3D shots are very good. Prometheus is no doubt a treat for the eyes.
Having read many reviews by other members and critics my chief concern going into the film was a lack of characterisation in some of the characters, however i think this has been blown out of proportion. We learn about the characters who matter. Shaw and David are the two strongholds to the story, and their relationships with Holloway and Vickers respectively, are crucial to the story. Other charcaters such as Janek, Fifield and Milburn are all well rounded character who we come to like (Idris Elba is a f**king badass in this). While other characters such as Chance and Ravel are also given sufficient screen time for the audience to understand their bond and relationship, however I would have preferred a little more time with them because when they meet their fate you dont really give too much of a damn. The rest of the crew are just canon fodder and i wouldnt expect them to be fleshed out. What i will say, and i will come back to this, is that its quite obvious the film has been slimmed down, and i feel that the majority of the slimming has cut out quite a bit of character interaction.
I found the score somewhat underwhelming, however it did keep the pace of the film and the tension was high enough to be able to feel it in the cinema so i guess it served its purpose on that level. I put my disappointed down to the fact that i watched Alien recently.
Story wise, i thought it was very well rounded. It did ask a lot of questions and few were answered however it is obvious that Prometheus is a 'To Be Continued' film. I don't particularly have a problem with that because the film can stand alone, its just the last minutes are there as a set up for the sequel. This is not a bad thing in my book. Although not all the answer are given, Prometheus is a sturdy story, not spectacular but doesn't indulge itself too much and come off the rails. It never loses focus and drives steadily right up until the end. As i said before a sequel is necessary to wrap up the story, and thinking back Prometheus is almost definitely written as a two parter, which i find encouraging. This means that Ridley already knows the story to part two, this means we know at least the film has direction.
The true negative i have about Prometheus is the editing, or more specifically the editing choices that were made. Throughout the film it felt like we were missing out on dialogue between characters and as though scenes were missing. I think the film would have benefited greatly from cutting the last 10 minutes or so off and spreading it around the rest of the film. I found that many of the death scenes were not long or gory enough. Now im not a fan of the whole 'Saw-gore' that is around these days, however , like most adults today it takes a lot to shock or scare me. I'm not saying the film wasn't scary but if felt that death scenes should have been longer, case in point Fifields death, it just didn't have the blow that it should have. Everyone was raving about this being an R-rated by the MPAA and 15 over here, this lead me to the question watching the film, was this film actually shot as an18? I call bullshit on Rothman saying it that not one shot was cut. It is obvious many shots were cut. There's no doubt the DVD will be an 18 certificate because watching the film i had the feeling like scenes had more to give. I believe that Prometheus was cut from being an 18 (NC17) to a 15 (R), and Fox thought this would please the fans.
On an ending note, never have i enjoyed a single character as much as i did tonight. I genuinely looked forward to seeing David. Fassbender puts in a scene stealing performance, however its the character i fell in love with. David's child like behaviour and thirst for knowledge and endearing. The depth that was written into David is most impressive and I have to congratulate Spaihts and Lindelof on creating this character for us. I also very much enjoyed the look and presence of the engineers. They were both human and alien at the same time. Their symmetrical faces were unnerving and they have been created into genuinely disturbing characters. I think the film did well not to tell too much about them as a race a that removes the mystery and the terror behind them (Much like Aliens- Xeno + Queen = Bug). Prometheus, for me personally is a triumph. Whilst not perfect it shows Ridley Scott is one of the greatest visual directors to grace film, i just feel lucky im around to see what he creates.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 01, 2012, 02:58:13 AM
I thought Ridley and other people at FOX said that there wasn't a whole lot if any cut out...?
Why would they say if there was? That would be bad for box office.

First Blood

First Blood

I thought Ridley and other people at FOX said that there wasn't a whole lot if any cut out...?

True, but one thing I keep seeing pop up in these reviews are issues with the editing. So it makes me think there's more than what was shown onscreen.

jonc2006

I wonder why Guy Pearce was stating his Weyland character was only in the film for "about a minute" then.

Virgil

Virgil

Lets play Devils advocate....I liked Charlie Holloway.   ;D

He's an arrogant prick. But that is his character.

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: PROM3TH3US on Jun 01, 2012, 02:56:00 AM
Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 01, 2012, 02:46:37 AM
Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 01, 2012, 02:43:43 AM
The film's good ... it is ... but its worst enemy is the editing, which really kicks the legs out from under it. I'll write a review.

Hmmmm. That is strange. Almost everyone has said the editing is pretty awful, so I looked up who did the editing, and its the same guy Ridley has used for 15 years. Wonder what happened.  :-\

LOL, I was about to write that in my other post but I wasn't sure if he is using the same editor all these years.  Same problem with him sticking with Marc Streitenfeld after dropping Zimmer.  I guessed it's true Ridley is a puppet master and will only work well with the people who will do his bidding without confrontation.

Spoiler
It's really only the final 20 minutes that looks severaly edited, everything else was fine and looked great, the Squid thing was hard to see most of the time but looked ok the Xeno-Burster isn't as bad as some say, but it really just seems out of place
[close]

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: Virgil_uk on Jun 01, 2012, 03:02:23 AM
I feel like should play devils advocate here....I liked the character Charlie Holloway.   ;D

He's mine  :-*

hfeldhaus

Quote from: r888 on Jun 01, 2012, 02:14:36 AM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 01, 2012, 02:09:37 AM
This is by far and away the most awe inspiring film iv seen. Im just back from the screening in Leeds and im blown away by the visual feast that was on offer. Never seen such a good looking film, like Avatar but more reality based if you get what I mean. The cinematography was fantastic and the 3D was a pleasure, which I dont normally think. The last 10 minutes the film ran out of steam i felt, however there is one thing that niggled at me. I felt the death scenes were over waaayy too quickly. Im not a fan of gore but i felt like there had been a lot of editing and shortening of the death scenes and removed the horror of much of them

So everything in the film was great but everyone hated the last 10 minutes

Can I ask some questions for you

How long was peter weyland on screen?
What your favourite character?
Was the ending that bad as people said?

he was only in it for about 10 minutes however he does play a big role still in the plot.
David was fantastic i smiled everytime he was on screen, bot mischievious and calculated.
The ending just seemed tacked on somewhat. the film runs smoothly right up until the last 10 mins and then your like... Doohhhhh. Didnt need it all to be honest.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

DONT TELL ME WHO IT IS BUT.....IS THE SECOND ANDROID REVEALED?

PROM3TH3US

PROM3TH3US

Quote from: First Blood on Jun 01, 2012, 02:53:15 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Jun 01, 2012, 02:50:43 AM
Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 01, 2012, 02:46:37 AM
Hmmmm. That is strange. Almost everyone has said the editing is pretty awful, so I looked up who did the editing, and its the same guy Ridley has used for 15 years. Wonder what happened.  :-\
Film has probably been severely trimmed to get a two hour runtime (ala ALIEN 3) for more showings per day, I'd imagine. That R rating was likely a double-edged sword.

And now we have to wait for the Blu-ray release for the intented version, if they even give us an extented cut. Double edged sword indeed.

That's what they want you to believe.  Ridley like he said is also a business man.  You either play the right card or the wrong card and they might have play it safe and worried that it might be too long and boring and want to push the movie along.  I still haven't forgotten what Fox make Ridley do to Kingdom Of Heaven so I don't trust Rothman.

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 01, 2012, 03:05:57 AM
DONT TELL ME WHO IT IS BUT.....IS THE SECOND ANDROID REVEALED?

Alright, there is an answer for this. Spoiler though...

Spoiler
There isn't one.
[close]

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

not so much the dialogue but did anyone else think the deaths were cut short of how they were intended to be seen, all of them were over far too quick with little or no reaction,
Spoiler
even Holloways death was quick
[close]
. the pacing was a bit too quick i felt.

Spoiler
I actually really came to like Holloway, and LMGs acting was convincing especially towards the end of his characters life.
[close]

Virgil

Virgil

hfeldhaus,

You might want to throw some spoiler tags over that post pal  :) some people haven't seen it yet!

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

sorry, noting too revealing tho  ;)

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 01, 2012, 03:10:30 AM
not so much the dialogue but did anyone else think the deaths were cut short of how they were intended to be seen, all of them were over far too quick with little or no reaction, even Holloways death was quick. the pacing was a bit too quick i felt.

I actually really came to like Holloway, and LMGs acting was convincing especially towards the end of his characters life.

Spoiler
The Hammerpede attack on Milburn was definately cut short, and the part where it's supposed to come out of him and get into someone else (Ford I think) has actually been changed, now the creature just goes back into the ooze
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed