Prometheus Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, May 30, 2012, 05:46:52 AM

In short, what did you think of the film?

Loved it! (5/5)
143 (32.4%)
Good, but not great (4/5)
148 (33.6%)
It was okay, nothing good (3/5)
68 (15.4%)
Didn't care for it (2/5)
30 (6.8%)
It sucked (1/5)
27 (6.1%)
Hated it! (0/5)
25 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author
Prometheus Fan Reviews (Read 318,754 times)

jpierpoint

jpierpoint

Just back in from a midnight showing of the film.  Am tired, so will keep things brief and also spoiler free as I haven't read right through this thread to determine the spoiler policy/level allowed.

Did I like the film? Yes I did.  Did I think it could have been better? Yes.

My knee jerk response is that this was a 3 to 4 hour movie edited down to 2hr 3min.  Things just happen, and keep on happening, one thing after another.  It didn't feel like there was enough reaction to each event before the next one.  Extra running time would have allowed for this. 

Some random thoughts:

1. Character development wasn't deep enough.  There were some cracking characters, portrayed by talented actors, but they didn't have enough room to roam.
2. Space Kojak didn't have enough screen time
3. There are some glaring plot holes but that said they weren't fatal
4. It's now obvious to me that too much was given away in the trailers/virals/TV spots.  That said, at the time I lapped them up like a good little fan boy.
5. The sets, design and cinematography were all superb
6. It's been left wide open for Prometheus 2
7. Going in I was skeptical of the apparent "normal-ness" of the SJ but I have to say they look superb and weirdly alien without being outlandish. Subtle, and one of the highlights for me, now I think about it.
8. David steals the show
9. Vickers is underused and her development is non-linear/inconsistent.  It smacked of heavy editing to get down to a run time.
10. Fifield/Milburn were lame IMO. Their character traits were totally inconsistent with people who would have been there in the first place.
11.  Loved Ford's Scottishness!

Enough already.

The thought that keeps coming back to me is that there was too much stuffed into a 2hr film.  It should have had a much longer run time, with better character development and more time for reaction to significant events OR it should have been simpler, with stuff taken out.  I vote for the longer film btw.

So, to exit where I came it.  It's a good film, very good in fact.  But it could have been great.  I can't wait for the Directors Cut!

r888

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Jun 01, 2012, 02:09:37 AM
This is by far and away the most awe inspiring film iv seen. Im just back from the screening in Leeds and im blown away by the visual feast that was on offer. Never seen such a good looking film, like Avatar but more reality based if you get what I mean. The cinematography was fantastic and the 3D was a pleasure, which I dont normally think. The last 10 minutes the film ran out of steam i felt, however there is one thing that niggled at me. I felt the death scenes were over waaayy too quickly. Im not a fan of gore but i felt like there had been a lot of editing and shortening of the death scenes and removed the horror of much of them

So everything in the film was great but everyone hated the last 10 minutes

Can I ask some questions for you

How long was peter weyland on screen?
What your favourite character?
Was the ending that bad as people said?

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Not writing a review right now because I'm f**king tired, but I can honestly say that I loved every moment of the film. Thought it was visually breathtaking and often very tense. Dozens of little nods to Alien which made me happy, and just overall a great film (obviously, not everybody is gonna like it). The only point I still am digesting, is the final shot. I will be seeing it again to doctor my "weirded outness" but I don't think it was "bad" at all!

Michael Harper

I didn't hate the last ten minutes. In fact, I loved the last ten minutes. I just didn't understand the last shot! Don't think it was quite needed. But not bad at all.

I thought the film was fantastic! Cannot wait to see it again!

The Engineers are so f**king cool! I need a Hot Toys figure of one!

r888

Quote from: Stannis Baratheon on Jun 01, 2012, 02:16:29 AM
I didn't hate the last ten minutes. In fact, I loved the last ten minutes. I just didn't understand the last shot! Don't think it was quite needed. But not bad at all.

I thought the film was fantastic! Cannot wait to see it again!

The Engineers are so f**king cool! I need a Hot Toys figure of one!

But it ties in with alien right?

nendo

I kinda agree that the last 10 minutes werent the best. As ridley say u defo see the alien dna. But after watching the rest of the film The alien tie in was not needed in my opinion. Didnt real add anything to the story other than a tie in. Could of been done different the last few scenes for sure

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Like some of you other guys I just got home after the midnight showing - kind of tired but need to put some thoughts down.  Please - this is just my opinion - go see the movie and make up your own mind.

First of all, I went in to the screening with a completely open mind, with the exception of a massive amount of faith in Ridley Scott. I've read various reviews on here and elsewhere, and tried to dismiss some of the more negative comments. When NGR01 came back tearful and disgusted I just thought, 'calm down darling, get a grip' and then when this board went mental with negativity, particularly towards Lindelof, I just couldn't be doing with it any more.

But, I really thought it was dreadful. I am terribly disappointed, after following the production for two years, watching all the trailers and videos, I was so excited. I'm not gonna cry - I have a sense of perspective, it's just a movie and life goes on. But what a wasted opportunity.
Scott has made a beautifully designed and gorgeously shot piece of drivel.

The script is terrible, in my opinion. The overall plot has (had) some potential. The structure of the movie and the scenes themselves lack all logic, the motivations of the characters make no sense, and some of the dialogue is risible.

I'm not sure if a spoiler tag is warranted here, but best to be safe.

Spoiler

Example of illogical scenes.

The arrival. This trillion dollar ship is manned by a crew who get nothing more by way of a briefing on the mission than 2 minutes of blurb from Charlie Holloway and some laughable inferences from Shaw. To their credit, the others do laugh. I had the same feeling as Ripley when she said, "This is a maximum security prison and you have no weapons of any kind"
Yes, we the audience are indeed "f**ked"

Then they land. Coming down immediately on the valley with the pyramids. Out of how many million square kilometres of the planet's surface? Now, the opening blurb says they arrive on Dec 21 2093 (I think), but when they land Charlie says it's christmas and wants to open his presents. Maybe they spent four days surveying from orbit and the movie is edited badly, or maybe Charlie mis-spoke.
Whichever it is, Shaw definitely signs off the movie on "New Year's day 2094" so somewhere from 7 to 10 days has passed. Funny, only feels like a day and a bit. Certainly only the one night when F and M were stuck in the pyramid. Sigh.

In Shaw and Holloway's quarters, he upsets her by accidentally referring to her inability to have children. Then, to shut her up, they get it on. Mmm, I'd be giving him the cold shoulder. Despite the fact that he is jolly fit - I'd gladly take a dollop of squiddly...
Yeah, anyway, LMG is okay - his character is obviously meant to be slightly twattish, and that's fine - not everyone in movies is meant to be likeable. I would have like to seen more of him though, to understand why Shaw was with him, how their relationship worked, but he ended up being crisped all too quickly.

So, Shaw is to be frozen, but she knocks out Ford and someone else and rushes to the medpod to remove squiddly. Despite it being such an advanced piece of kit, one of only a few in existence apparently, she knows how to work it. Meanwhile, nothing's done to chase her - everyone else calmly gets on with waking up Weyland. When she returns covered in blood, no-one's surprised, no-one asks her where she's been or even if she's alright. It's like, oh f**k, we were gonna freeze you weren't we, duh - just clean forgot. silly us.

Character motivations. Well, where to start. Ravel and Chance commit suicide with Janek because "he's a shit pilot" and then they say they'll collect their bets on the 'other side'. Please. Then Holloway also willingly gets fried. If I was infected and in pain I'd be screaming for someone to help me - get me to that amazing medpod (that you can work Eli), but work like f**k to keep me alive. Don't burn me to death... HELP ME.
Fifield and Milburn. Why?  So, a geologist, even a slightly balmy geologist, shouts right in the face of a meek woman after ten minutes in a dark tunnel because there are no rocks for him to look at? Then, as others have pointed out, the guy responsible for mapping the tunnels gets lost!

And when things start to go pear shaped, there's no evidence of a command structure or of mounting a logical response to events, even though they apparently occur over several days. When F and M are lost in the pyramid during the storm, the most helpful thing that Janek can offer is a suggestion that they shouldn't bugger each other. I mean, WHAT?  You said WHAT??

Other niggles.

Peter Weyland. Why is he played by Guy Pearce? The makeup is terrible. Get a decent old actor.

The new xeno - looks like Sil. Shit.

Little squiddly looks cool. Big squiddly you don't see too well.  I'm not sure what these creatures add to the movie at all.

[close]

God, that's it, I'm going to bed. If I think of anything else I'll add it later, I just had to unload.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Drivel???  Yeah, get some sleep. :)

Samayel

Quote from: r888 on Jun 01, 2012, 02:14:36 AMSo everything in the film was great but everyone hated the last 10 minutes

Can I ask some questions for you

How long was peter weyland on screen?
What your favourite character?
Was the ending that bad as people said?

1. About 10-12 mins.

2. David, he and Shaw are the only two characters that felt fully realised to me. The rest are charicatures and cannon fodder essentially.

3. Yep the ending is truly cringeworthy. Getting rid of Giger was a huge mistake, but doubt even one of his superb designs could have saved the final scene.
Spoiler
The new chest burster looks just like the black creature from Predators, with an elongated skull.
[close]

Maybe my opinion of this movie will improve with a few more viewings. It does look fantastic, but at the moment seems like a masterclass of style over substance, and a two hour build up for Prometheus 2.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 01, 2012, 02:28:19 AM
Oh, you've seen it Bethesda? :)

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Lolz...no...just giving him a hard time, hence the emoticon.

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 01, 2012, 02:28:19 AM

Like I say, only my opinion. I'm aware you have a positive feeling towards the film, which is great, and I genuinely hope you enjoy it. I hope everyone enjoys it. But I'm afraid I did not.

I really wish I didn't feel this way about it. I was soooo looking forward  to it.

Bum

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 01, 2012, 02:31:31 AM
Lolz...no...just giving him a hard time, hence the emoticon.
I knew that :P I was just giving you a hard time. ;D

Valaquen

Valaquen

Well I'm annoyed ... the trailers and TV spots gave literally everything away.

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

If it's any use at all - the design, the cinematography and effects were immaculate. They might just have built a trillion dollar starship and filmed on LV-223 it looked that good.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed