Why did Fox go with Ridley instead of Blomkamp?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jan 25, 2017, 09:20:51 PM

Author
Why did Fox go with Ridley instead of Blomkamp? (Read 6,064 times)

LastSurvivor92

I was just curious if anyone knows why Fox decided in the end to pursue Ridley Scott's Alien Covenant and future 3rd Alien film rather than an all out epic Alien 5 written and directed by Neill Blomkamp?

All the polls on AVPG and elsewhere clearly indicated fans were wanting to see a Blomkamp Alien film, not another Ridley Scott Alien film. I think Scott had a very fair shot with Prometheus to make his comeback with the series and for a majority of people he didn't exactly deliver like he was suppose to. So why did Fox go ahead and greenlight a sequel and delay Blomkamp? (And don't tell me it was because of the box office only). I think Blomkamp would of blew fans and audiences off their feet with an final Sigourney/Ripley film assisting her in the xenomorph killing the legendary Michael Biehn who plays Hicks. Just the sound of Ripley and Hicks back together in a film sounds utterly amazing...so why forget about it and delay the hell out of it?

I feel like Alien 5 is a great film that everyone wants to see but theirs flat out dumb reasons for it being held back. Why can't Fox just delay Ridley's 3rd Alien movie to let Blomkamp and Sigourney film theirs?? I just don't understand the unfairness of it all.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Alien: Covenant was already in production long before Blomkamp pitched his idea for a new Alien film to Fox. In fact, Scott was scheduled to film it after Exodus: Gods and Kings. However Scott claims that the script wasn't quite ready yet and decided to delay it and film The Martian first.

Blomkamp only finished his first draft late in 2015. At that point Alien: Covenant was already virtually ready to shoot.

426Buddy

Eighth Passenger is correct.

Quote from: Chronicle on Jan 25, 2017, 09:20:51 PM
I feel like Alien 5 is a great film that everyone wants to see but theirs flat out dumb reasons for it being held back. Why can't Fox just delay Ridley's 3rd Alien movie to let Blomkamp and Sigourney film theirs?? I just don't understand the unfairness of it all.

I don't know why you feel this way, an unmade film can't be judged as great. Also the idea of Blomkamp's retcon has been very divisive in the fanbase, a lot of fans do and don't want to see this film happen.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 25, 2017, 09:31:53 PM
Alien: Covenant was already in production long before Blomkamp pitched his idea for a new Alien film to Fox. In fact, Scott was scheduled to film it after Exodus: Gods and Kings. However Scott claims that the script wasn't quite ready yet and decided to delay it and film The Martian first.

Blomkamp only finished his first draft late in 2015. At that point Alien: Covenant was already virtually ready to shoot.

Good point, but Ridley has already got his shot with Prometheus and now Alien Covenant. So if Fox is aware that Ridley has already been able to direct and release 2 Alien films, why not hand the torch over to Blomkamp to let him make his ONE Alien movie? Ridley keeps talking like he wants to make sequel after sequel. Blomkamp simply just wants to bring Ripley and the xenomorphs back on the big screen for one more big finale. He's not trying to hog the series but Ridley for some reason after all these years wants to hog the Alien storyline and its great don't get me wrong but dude...give someone else a chance for once. Its not like audiences and fans were so BLOWN by Prometheus that now we need all these sequels. Which kind of seems like Ridley percieves it that way. It was just a descent sci-fi film that made some good box office. Now lets move on to Blomkamp. Avoiding repetition when it comes to the Alien films its rather important and I think selecting a different and unique director each time actually helps the series and gives it a fresh of breath air.

I'm sorry but if Ridley were given the chance to direct Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection I think they would of been way less entertaining films. I think there's something to say about choosing a different director each time.

SiL

People haven't been terribly blown by Blomkamp since D9. Fox wants Scott making Alien movies, the end. Their call.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 25, 2017, 09:42:51 PM...the idea of Blomkamp's retcon has been very divisive in the fanbase, a lot of fans do and don't want to see this film happen.

Indeed.  Personally, I hope that particular fan wankery premise never sees the light of day.  Having said that, I do kind of feel for Sigourney Weaver, as it would be nice for her to have one last shot at an Alien film, seeming as she seems very keen on the idea.  I can't feel too bad for her though; as by all accounts, she's had a pretty excellent life thus far and is wealthy, renowned and loved the world over.  Whereas, I'm living in a hovel and surviving off Tesco's own brand of economy baked beans and hated by the few whom know me.  Actually, ball sacks to Sigourney Weaver!

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SiL on Jan 25, 2017, 10:26:31 PM
People haven't been terribly blown by Blomkamp since D9. Fox wants Scott making Alien movies, the end. Their call.

Your right in some respects SiL. A couple Alien movies...thats cool but why JUST Ridley SiL? I was hoping they'd invest interest in different directors as well. Ridley isn't just making Alien movies. He's made plenty of other films like Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Bladerunner etc. that he could focus on that made him quite popular as well. Why JUST Alien for him and nothing else?

Is it just the film industries status quo right now to keep the same director on board for awhile? I don't know.

SM

He's a widely respected director, and his last film in this series did quite well. Unless you have someone like Cameron knocking, why change?

SiL

Prometheus and The Martian did really well.

Elysium and Chappie did alright.

Not hard to see why they'd pick one over the other.

SM

Even the roundly caned Exodus Gods and Kings made $268m.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: SM on Jan 26, 2017, 12:17:45 AM
Even the roundly caned Exodus Gods and Kings made $268m.

Aye, it's not hard to see why Fox would choose Ridley Scott over Neill Blomkamp, financially speaking.  However, speaking artistically, I feel it must be said that while Exodus: Gods and Kings was not a good film by most people's measure (including mine); even when Ridley Scott is at his absolute worst; his films are never truly awful.  I'm relatively happy that someone like Scott is in the proverbial driver's seat at the moment.

Having said that, one of the things which I adored about the series, prior to Prometheus, was that each installment was helmed by a different director.  This allowed a fresh approach and vision with each sequential film (even if it did mean the occasional blunder such as Alien: Resurrection).  Now, a Jonathan Glazer helmed Alien movie, with a soundtrack by Johnny Greenwood would be heaven on LV-426.  Just putting that out there, in the vague hope that dreams may come true.

Infected

Elysium was ok, Chappie was Short Circuit but redone, nobody wants to see Sigourney Weaver again.
So yep there ya go.

OpenMaw

I'm sure many people want to see Weaver and Biehn again.

I don't see getting too upset over this though, because we have literally no idea what the entirety of his pitch even was. We have no idea on the plot... Vague bits and pieces from the concept art. Hicks and Ripley are back, but much older. The Company has a/the derelict, which is looking really bad off and decomposed/hived? There was queen. Some guy melting inside of a hive?

But how any of this was to come together is any guess.

Kimo

Prometheus did well at the box office but I'm more shocked Ridley wanted to do another Alien movie right after the mixed reviews of Prometheus. I thought after all the talk of sequels he would probably end up doing something else like directing Blade Runner, and maybe produce and let some other director take over any sequels to Prometheus. Anyhow I'm glad Fox went with Ridley, because he's getting old and we might not get another Alien film from him. This could be his last alien film, because when your Ridley's age your health can be fine one day but tomorrow you might drop down dead or have to retire due to health. Blomkamp is young and still has plenty of years ahead of him to give us his fanboy Alien(s) movie.

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SiL on Jan 25, 2017, 11:06:52 PM
Prometheus and The Martian did really well.

Elysium and Chappie did alright.

Not hard to see why they'd pick one over the other.

I just hope you are the one to direct the next AVP film SiL. :)

Quote from: Kimo on Jan 26, 2017, 11:52:01 AM
Blomkamp is young and still has plenty of years ahead of him to give us his fanboy Alien(s) movie.

Sigourney Weaver is 67  :-\

They don't do a Alien film with her in it within the next 3 years and she will probably won't be able to. She's getting old...I don't want Sigourney leavin us either too soon without another Alien film  ???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed