William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 150,853 times)

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: The Dutch Ghost on Apr 01, 2019, 08:19:55 PM
Quote from: Russ840 on Apr 01, 2019, 08:12:40 PMI always remember there being a lot more of an outbreak with far more of the new and traditional Aliens.  Is that the first draft that I have read or am I completely Of base and need to re read ?

That was the first draft of the script in which there were many more people on the station including the presence of Colonial Marines.

This comic is based on the second version which is a bit more restrained regarding aliens and combat.

Regarding combat, I seem to remember Hicks taking some marines outside the station and needing to cross to another portion and fighting Xeno's outside. Is that right ?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, that was how the first draft ended.

It got taken out in the second, presumably because Fox read it and balked at how much a sequence like that would cost at the turn of the 90s.

Russ840

Russ840

Man, I need to re read the first draft and then read the 2nd.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

I still remember then going outside the station at the end in the second draft. Gonna have to re-read lol

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Apr 02, 2019, 07:29:35 AM
Did you do a podcast with Johnnie ?

Yeah, we recorded a chat with him yesterday. Will probably be up in a few weeks. Currently working on editing the 40th Anniversary Shorts review episode atm.

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 02, 2019, 11:19:47 AM
I still remember then going outside the station at the end in the second draft. Gonna have to re-read lol

Definitely the first. Both are available to read in our downloads section if anyone wants any reminders: https://www.avpgalaxy.net/downloads/

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 02, 2019, 09:35:59 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 01, 2019, 09:22:38 PMSo RidgeTop and I just finished chatting to Johnnie. Interestingly, the Interceptor being a dropship came from Fox. His original concepts were more in line with the Defiant from Star Trek. He had also been expecting the colour pallette to be more in line with Alien/s.

Interesting/disappointing.

Space Hind!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 02, 2019, 11:39:35 AM
Quote from: Russ840 on Apr 02, 2019, 07:29:35 AM
Did you do a podcast with Johnnie ?

Yeah, we recorded a chat with him yesterday. Will probably be up in a few weeks. Currently working on editing the 40th Anniversary Shorts review episode atm.

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 02, 2019, 11:19:47 AM

Definitely the first. Both are available to read in our downloads section if anyone wants any reminders: https://www.avpgalaxy.net/downloads/

They don't have a big fight outside in the second draft, but I think they hang around on the truck for a bit before the end.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Just as is in the comic.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

I re-read the end of the second draft. Yeah i was mixing it with the end of the first. The only real difference is Halliday's fate (which i prefer in the script)

Russ840

Russ840

I just re read this through in one sitting.

Much better than reading it over the course of 5 months.

My critiques of it are that the art was a little lacking with regards to the human characters.  Bishop looked great all the time yet Hicks looks nothing like Michael Biehn.  Some times the characters lack detail.  Christmas can clearly knock out some good artwork. The covers are awesome and as said, Bishop looks great.

The Aliens started to suffer by the last issue as well.  I'm wondering if hitting the deadlines with this comic became more of a focus than polishing the line work.

The colour pallets could have been muted a little.

My biggest problem with the book.  On two occasions, the panel transitions are pretty bad and tell an unclear story. The scenes in question were, first, when we see the new creature for the first time. Second is the climactic scene in the shuttle bay.

In spite of those issues, i am really happy we got this and quite enjoyed my re read.  I really love how well this story retroactivly fits with the new lore that Prometheus and Covenant have added.

I personally would like for this adaptation to spawn a series to follow. An alt universe.  Having said that. You could almost read Book One as the next if you are willing to ignore some small discrepancies. 

I'll be getting this, in the form of the Hardcover that's coming, if we get some nice bonus material. If it includes the script its an instant buy.   

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Russ840 on Apr 05, 2019, 12:05:39 PM
I personally would like for this adaptation to spawn a series to follow. An alt universe.  Having said that. You could almost read Book One as the next if you are willing to ignore some small discrepancies.

That's what I've been saying.  It makes me suspect that Verheiden may have even read the Gibson script and thought it was going to be produced when he wrote his comics.

Monster Man

Monster Man

Okay, so strange thing -- considering that the first draft was rejected for being way too crazy and expensive to even try, I figured Dark Horse would make an attempt at it considering comic books. But they went with the more subdued second draft. Why is this? Give the series a full 6-issues
Spoiler
maybe 8
[close]
with some time, it would've been a spectacle.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I was a little surprised too, given that I figured the more OTT first draft would better translate to the comic format.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I assume because they didn't want crazy, they wanted all around better. The second draft still had issues that warranted another polish, but it was a better script.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Finally received the last issue. The art really took a dive in this one, the aliens looked very cartoon like.

Overall it was okay, i was expecting something different when this was announced though. I don't think the visuals jived well with the story.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed