William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 150,712 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 05, 2019, 10:27:41 PM
I'm gonna be pissed if they adapt Eric Red's script and it has amazing art.

Ha. I'd love it! I really want to see an amazing take on the Xeno-station!!

Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 05, 2019, 10:32:30 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 05, 2019, 10:24:44 PM
Get out.

:laugh: Do you have the video that's from?

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Mar 05, 2019, 10:49:21 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 05, 2019, 10:32:30 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 05, 2019, 10:24:44 PM
Get out.

I'm not sure what's got me laughing more: your joke or Hicks's response.

Go with both.  :laugh:

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 05, 2019, 10:27:41 PM
I'm gonna be pissed if they adapt Eric Red's script and it has amazing art.

Den Beauvais returns for it specially lol

Russ840

Russ840

Anyone noice that the TPB for this is now a Hardcover ? 

Albeit standard trim.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 08, 2019, 09:38:13 AM
Anyone noice that the TPB for this is now a Hardcover ? 

Albeit standard trim.

Oooh! Good. Wish Dark Horse would release more Hardcover trades (not the big fancy pants ones).

Perfect-Organism

Cool, hope it includes the original Alien 3.  But doubt it. 

On its own it serves as a William Gibson novel who has a fan base outside of Aliens.

Russ840

Russ840

Having read issue 5, I really have no idea how I feel about this series.

Deaconschristpose

What happened to Newt? Did I miss something?

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Just read through all 5 issues and overall I'm satisfied with this adaptation. It's an interesting take on the lore and it was fun seeing an alternate script get an "official" treatment. Reading the whole story in one go is such a better experience as my main critique was the slow build up which works with film but translates to an uneventful first couple of issues; however, the final two issues are quite a ride and ultimately left me intrigued as to where and how this alternate universe would continue on.

Quote from: Deaconschristpose on Mar 27, 2019, 05:13:46 PM
What happened to Newt? Did I miss something?

She was shuttled back to Earth on the Sulaco in issue 3

BlazinBlueReview

Lookin forward to seeing how this could turn out. Itd be a fantastic idea to see the story continue on as maybe a monthly.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

RidgeTop and I are going to be chatting to him on Monday. So as usual I'd like to open the floor to questions.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I wouldn't mind seeing a further five issues that would be a hypothetical Gibson Alien 4.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Overall, a massive disappointment due to the bland art.  It would make a good bridge to a Verheiden/Blomkamp-ish continuation of the story though.

Russ840

Russ840

I need to give this a full re read now. I must say that, at points, I found that the art did not run smoothly between panels.

What I mean by that is that it could get confusing as to which characters were in certain panels and I could get a little lost. I have never found that with a comic before. 

Did anyone think this ?

skhellter

skhellter

You're not alone.

This took a script that wasn't very inspired, to begin with...
and didn't do it any favors.

This gets a YIKES/10 rating.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I absolutely loved seeing them finally visualise one of the older Alien 3 scripts, especially given Gibson's 2nd is my favourite of the scripts. From memory it seemed quite faithful but I'm gonna re-read the script and the series again over the weekend to see if anything stands out.

There were certainly some confusing moments that seemed like scenes being skipped - particularly towards the end - because of the page count running down but nothing enough to ruin the experience.

I do agree on the artwork, though, particularly the colouring. Coming from Dead Orbit, Hunters 2 and Dust to Dust, it certainly seemed like a bit of a step-down. Particularly that bright colour palette. Where as the original draft was Aliens in over-drive, the second was more in the vein of Alien and would have been better suited by a style more in-line with that tone. I wouldn't say it made the series a massive disappointment for me, but it certainly knocked it down a couple of marks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed