William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 153,189 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Prez on Jan 17, 2019, 11:34:18 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 17, 2019, 10:15:48 PM
That's usually when the film's art department takes over and comes up with something more imaginative. 
Like turning a Thompson submachine gun into the USCM M-41A pulse rifle.

It's especially disappointing when they could literally draw anything and still fail to come up with something new. 
A comic book artist isn't limited by a film budget.

One thing I always admired about Denis Beauvais' art was his nice inventive and creative output of side arms and weaponry.
They fit perfectly into the whole Aliens aesthetic - in fact he nailed the whole tech of that James Cameron world perfectly.

Well, this is one thing that Resistance has over William Gibson's Alien 3 already then,
pilfering what little good there was from Aliens: Colonial Marines' corpse.  Weapons.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 17, 2019, 10:15:47 PM
That's usually when the film's art department takes over and comes up with something more imaginative.  Like turning a Thompson submachine gun into the USCM M-41A pulse rifle.

It's especially disappointing when they could literally draw anything and still fail to come up with something new.  A comic book artist isn't limited by a film budget.

One thing I always admired about Denis Beauvais' art in Book 2 was his nice inventive and creative output of side arms and weaponry. They fit perfectly into the whole Aliens aesthetic - in fact he nailed the whole tech of that Cameron world perfectly.

Exactly, it felt designed and pre-meditated as opposed to thrown-together ad-hoc.

Kane's other son

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 17, 2019, 11:00:49 PM
I didnt even notice the uzi until someone said something.

Also as, Razeak pointed out, there were m-16s on the sulaco. Maybe advanced plasma weaponry is a bad idea to give grunts who are flying around in space.

I dunno, im not very knowledgable when it comes to guns.

The M-16s were background set dressing.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

^ What he said.

The contemporary guns on the Sulaco were just background set dressing, to fill up the armoury. You really have to look quite hard in the film to identify them.

Perfect-Organism

I'm disinclined to criticize this series on the grounds that I really like these alternate reality timelines...

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 18, 2019, 01:42:46 AM

Well, this is one thing that Resistance has over William Gibson's Alien 3 already then,
pilfering what little good there was from Aliens: Colonial Marines' corpse.  Weapons.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/Item/748532/Cover._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

If Neca made these versions of these two characters I'd buy'em

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 18, 2019, 01:10:18 PMI'm disinclined to criticize this series on the grounds that I really like these alternate reality timelines...

Yeah, I've got no real complaints.

The art could definitely be better, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad. I'm liking the pacing. The ancient weapons and the UPP's use of a USCM dropship has bothered me, but overall I'm enjoying it and more than anything I'm just excited as hell this project even happened.

Should hopefully be collecting issue 3 tomorrow.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Were it not for the fact that they actually made one of the UPP muckety-mucks look like Lenin, there would be no visual cues to indicate that they're supposed to be space commies.  No space Hinds, Kalashnikovs, Cyrillic or red stars anywhere to be seen.

razeak

razeak

Another fair point is the background dressing comment. You do have to really look. Again, it's not deal breaker. I really enjoy the book overall.

I have to head.to my LCS and get these newer books besides Alien 3. That panel looks great.

I work with guns a lot in my job, so the Uzi metaphorically punched me in the face and said "hey look!"

I just hope Hicks has a pulse rifle in issue 4 and not a musket lol

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 18, 2019, 01:42:46 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 17, 2019, 10:15:48 PM
That's usually when the film's art department takes over and comes up with something more imaginative. 
Like turning a Thompson submachine gun into the USCM M-41A pulse rifle.

It's especially disappointing when they could literally draw anything and still fail to come up with something new. 
A comic book artist isn't limited by a film budget.

One thing I always admired about Denis Beauvais' art was his nice inventive and creative output of side arms and weaponry.
They fit perfectly into the whole Aliens aesthetic - in fact he nailed the whole tech of that James Cameron world perfectly.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/Item/748532/Cover._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Reminds me of that sniper mission from COD4.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's the Assault Rifle from Colonial Marines.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: razeak on Jan 18, 2019, 09:18:54 PM
I just hope Hicks has a pulse rifle in issue 4 and not a musket lol

If it's adhering to the second draft of the script, which it appears to be, Hicks will never wield a pulse rifle in this.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 18, 2019, 05:20:39 PMWere it not for the fact that they actually made one of the UPP muckety-mucks look like Lenin, there would be no visual cues to indicate that they're supposed to be space commies.

No visual cues, perhaps, but they do call each other "comrade" constantly lol.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Playing down the space commies thing is a good move. The parallel is a bit too blunt in the script.

The Old One

The Old One

Playing it down is one thing,
making them downright
identical in all but dialogue
to the USCM is a saddening
wasted opportunity.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed