William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 150,843 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I know, right?  It's like William Gibson had a crystal ball or something.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 12, 2018, 10:56:43 AM
It certainly does.  I hope that's just a loose description of the story.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 12, 2018, 07:58:10 AM
The New Beast. It was Gibson's new style of Alien and it functioned pretty much like the Neomorphs and the spores.

I sure as shit hope they don't make it look like the Newborn.  Or give it a skull.  >:(
I will become quite upset also if a SKULL appears on a zenomorph  >:(

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

What's with all the hate over it having a skull? Like the domed skull the first Alien had?

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2018, 03:28:31 AM
Delayed comics doesn't generally bother me, but it's still unprofessional.  Be easier to just set out a more realistic schedule from the outset.

I am not advocating lateness for its own sake.  The editor should have strong enough curation abilities to make a judgment call if they have something truly amazing on their hands, and allow it more time.  Heck, they could use it as a marketing feature.  The publisher could say that extra time was needed to do something the right way.  Almost consistently, when this happens, the results are amazing.

I suspect this is what happened with Tristan Jones and Defiance recently.  The company wanted to stick to the schedule at all costs, and they drove the artist away who was putting in their heart and soul into the work.  The big money making machine has to keep rolling right?  I would say that this is the bigger problem.  Movies, music, comics, books, these are all artistic endeavors.  They don't actually need to show up on time for humanity to exist, like food, shelter, etc.  The application of ideas like professionalism, timeliness are in truth arbitrary and serve the moneymaking aspect of the enterprise, but not necessarily the end product itself.  The Defiance comics could have all come out late, with Tristan's work and they would have been timeless classics, but instead, they ended up as more punctual drivel.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 12, 2018, 12:16:28 PM

I'm disappointed I never got to ask about this.  :'(

SM

SM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 12, 2018, 07:13:38 PM
Delayed comics doesn't generally bother me, but it's still unprofessional.  Be easier to just set out a more realistic schedule from the outset.

I am not advocating lateness for its own sake.  The editor should have strong enough curation abilities to make a judgment call if they have something truly amazing on their hands, and allow it more time.  Heck, they could use it as a marketing feature.  The publisher could say that extra time was needed to do something the right way.  Almost consistently, when this happens, the results are amazing.

I suspect this is what happened with Tristan Jones and Defiance recently.  The company wanted to stick to the schedule at all costs, and they drove the artist away who was putting in their heart and soul into the work.  The big money making machine has to keep rolling right?  I would say that this is the bigger problem.  Movies, music, comics, books, these are all artistic endeavors.  They don't actually need to show up on time for humanity to exist, like food, shelter, etc.  The application of ideas like professionalism, timeliness are in truth arbitrary and serve the moneymaking aspect of the enterprise, but not necessarily the end product itself.  The Defiance comics could have all come out late, with Tristan's work and they would have been timeless classics, but instead, they ended up as more punctual drivel.

I don't believe I agree with anything you've just said.

Russ840

Russ840

I don't see why there should be any lateness with a series that only runs 4 to 12 issues.

A four issue series should be all complete before the first is released. I abhor a delayed issue. Hate it.

12 issue series' could at least be more than half way through when the first issue is released.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2018, 08:19:17 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 12, 2018, 07:13:38 PM

I don't believe I agree with anything you've just said.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with that.

I do prefer quality over quantity though.  I also prefer fine, well aged wine.

But this is really just a first world problem after all.

SM

SM

Quote from: Russ840 on Sep 12, 2018, 08:48:01 PM
I don't see why there should be any lateness with a series that only runs 4 to 12 issues.

A four issue series should be all complete before the first is released. I abhor a delayed issue. Hate it.

12 issue series' could at least be more than half way through when the first issue is released.

As a comparison, issue 1 of Defiance was written in August 2015 and released at the end of April 2016.
Predator Life & Death issue 1 was written/ revised in July 2015 and released in March 2016.

Perfect-Organism

End of March 2016 or beginning?  It's the first issue anyway.  That's when the artist has most steam.  Do you know what actually happened with Tristan, and why he left, that you are allowed to disclose?

Anyway, I was just looking at the Defiance series as an outside observer and if keeping Tristan around in the series required more time for him to work his magic, I would have been happy with that.  If it wasn't a time issue, then my point on that stands.  Nobody's life depends on getting a comic on time.  Nobody cherishes a comic that was rushed to meet a deadline.  But comics that are done properly, at their own pace are reprinted over and over and very much loved.

Huggs

Huggs

It's been delayed? Well that kinda sucks.

SM

SM

QuoteEnd of March 2016 or beginning?

Beginning.

QuoteDo you know what actually happened with Tristan, and why he left, that you are allowed to disclose?

I've heard some stuff, but wouldn't speak for him even if I knew for sure.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 12, 2018, 07:51:33 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 12, 2018, 12:16:28 PM

I'm disappointed I never got to ask about this.  :'(

Did you interview Gibson?

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: SM on Sep 13, 2018, 12:45:28 AM
Quote from: Russ840 on Sep 12, 2018, 08:48:01 PM

As a comparison, issue 1 of Defiance was written in August 2015 and released at the end of April 2016.
Predator Life & Death issue 1 was written/ revised in July 2015 and released in March 2016.

Yeah i am aware of the lead times in comic book production.  I just think it would be good business to have more than one in the bag of a given series before releasing.  Or release on a bi-monthly schedule.

SM

SM

If it's just one dude writing and drawing then yeah, make it a more realistic release schedule.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed