AvPGalaxy Reviews Inhuman Condition

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 09, 2013, 10:09:01 PM

Author
AvPGalaxy Reviews Inhuman Condition (Read 4,358 times)

Corporal Hicks

In April 2013 Dark Horse released their latest novella, Inhuman Condition, written by John Layman and drawn by Aliens veteran Sam Keith. I picked it up last month and have now uploaded my review:

“I hadn't initially intended to pick this book up because I knew Sam Keith would be doing the artwork. I'll put this straight out there – I don't like his art. In my opinion his inclusion on Female War ruined that book and that is a consensus shared by the majority of the Aliens readership.”

inhumancondition04

Is it all doom and gloom? Read the entire review and find out! As well as that, I have also re-written my review for Aliens Omnibus Volume #1. Be sure to check out that review too.

Kimarhi

I'm going to be the weird one that says this, but I don't mind Kieth's art.  I KNOW why people hate it, but for some reason it doesn't bother me.

The story going from somewhat of a thinking man's action movie in the first and second story arcs going to pure popcorn action flick in the Female War bothered me much more.

I've already ordered it, so I'll have to wait and see what I think about Inhuman Condition when I get back.

Manchu

As I mentioned in the other thread, I really agree with Corporal Hicks's review.  This is not something I would recommend to anyone but ... well, basically someone who had registered an account on this site.  And even then ...  Well, I guess it shows that a work was at least somewhat engaging if the reader feels the urge to rewrite it.

Still, the potential is there and if nothing else Layman demonstrates that there are plenty of good hooks in this franchise even if he doesn't pursue them to fresh conclusions.  Keith's artwork ranges from a rare deep insight, usually fleeting across Jean Depaul's milky face, to just downright awful.  I have seen stuff by him that I like but this time there are too many panels that feel phoned in.

SizzyBubbles

Like many other here i was pretty disappointed by the choice of artist for this graphic novel... aaaaaand didn't pick it up for that reason. Not like Keith's artwork is bad, he's just not a good choice and aliens comic... Like they chose an artist to do an alien comic that can't draw aliens?! WUT? On the other hand the people don't look to bad... but the backgrounds are lacking (blank or scribbly) much like in the Female War. The story for Inhuman was uninteresting and just happening so i didn't really care... paired with poorly drawn aliens... SKIP.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed