When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel?

Started by Daszkowski, Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

Author
When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel? (Read 73,627 times)

Whos_Nick

Or a coherent script

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Sep 27, 2017, 08:36:21 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 27, 2017, 08:20:37 PM
No, you just show up and insult other fans for disliking or thinking critically of a film you enjoy. I would rate Covenant above AR but I'm not going to slag off fellow fans who might not. So let's chill out with that attitude please.

Nothing I said was insulting. There was no name calling simply stating facts.

"Facts." Not in the slightest. Just another case of one fan not liking what others are saying and turning on them instead. Look, tusk, there's nothing wrong with differing opinions. There is, however, a problem when people come on and present them in insulting or immature fashions. Then when I start having problems with people. So let's tone down on that attitude or if you're unwilling, you can just move on.

Rudiger

Quote from: monkeylove on Sep 28, 2017, 03:43:10 AM
Films are usually judged based on their ability to fulfill their expected purpose. In this case, one should not compare Alien with Aliens because they employ different genres. In which case, one should not fault one movie because it focuses on horror while another on action.

Next, it's obvious that the genre cannot be repeated in this case. The horror element developed in the first movie was no longer possible for the second, which is why the latter focused on action. The third could not repeat the first two, which is why it emphasized something similar to detective fiction (i.e., knowing enough about the creature but figuring out how to kill it without the availability of weapons). The fourth probably focused on something related to conspiracy and the thriller (which is introduced at the end of the third movie).

At this point, the producers decided to develop the backstory, and understandably focused on the origins of the engineers and the creatures. Given the point this type of story would likely not be driven by action or horror, then they should have made something else.

Agreed. And that's why Aliens isn't just a great movie, it's a great sequel too. It takes elements from the original but presents them to the audience in a way they haven't seen before. It's screen-writing genius.

Scorpio

"Get away from her you bitch" is screenwriting genius alright.  :)

It's a good movie, but it's 80s version of Starship Troopers.  Not the cosmic horror of ALIEN. 

Not saying I would prefer a remake of ALIEN, but I wouldn't call Aliens a 'great sequel'.

Alien Isolation is a great sequel to ALIEN.

SM

SM

Aliens is a great sequel because, as Rudiger said, it takes all the things you love about the first one then resets them in a different genre.  In that regard, Isolation retreads Alien and puts it on a space station that looks a lot like the Nostromo.

And traditionally sequels often retread the original.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 27, 2017, 06:39:32 PM
Thanks  ::) Love some me some generalisation.
I'm tired of nuances aimed at people who had already made clear they are not capable of detecting them. Not you, but some here.

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 28, 2017, 09:49:42 AM

It's a good movie, but it's 80s version of Starship Troopers.  Not the cosmic horror of ALIEN. 

Not saying I would prefer a remake of ALIEN, but I wouldn't call Aliens a 'great sequel'.

Aliens is nothing like Starship Troopers. Starship Troopers would be closer to Full Metal Jacket in space, but it's not that simply to call it as such either. Starship Troopers is a wonderful, self-aware satire. The only thing conceptually common between them on an abstract level is that they both detest jingo-ism but they handle it quite differently.

Scorpio

^Starship Troopers is a noted influence on Aliens.  The novel not the 1997 movie.

SM:

Alien Isolation doesn't retread Alien, it expands on it but not in a hamfisted 80s action way. 

And Aliens doesn't take all the things I love about Alien.  There are many things that Alien just does better.

As for action scenes and world building, Aliens is top notch at that, and is a great movie just not a great sequel. 

SM

So a great sequel should just copy the original then. Right.

And the story of SST isn't really anything like Aliens other than space soldiers fight insectile monsters.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 28, 2017, 10:22:31 AM
^Starship Troopers is a noted influence on Aliens.  The novel not the 1997 movie.
What exactly did the novel influence in Aliens? If anything, the 1997 film had more similarities to it, and as stated earlier, it's a satire of militarism, so those similarities are merely surface level.

Alien Isolation doesn't retread Alien, it expands on it but not in a hamfisted 80s action way. 
Alien: Isolation is one of my favorite games of all times, but to say it doesn't retread Alien? Please...The game has entire missions that literally retread Alien, such as Marlow's flashback mission. The game is a love letter to the original film, and its main goal was to put the player in the situations seen in the original film.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Sep 28, 2017, 10:39:42 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 28, 2017, 10:22:31 AM
What exactly did the novel influence in Aliens? If anything, the 1997 film had more similarities to it, and as stated earlier, it's a satire of militarism, so those similarities are merely surface level.

I've never been able to see those influences either. Aside from the obvious space military stuff.

I'm tired of nuances aimed at people who had already made clear they are not capable of detecting them. Not you, but some here.

I find it tiring when a whole community is painted with the same brush as two or three folk. Especially when its being used to throw around negatives.

Rudiger

It's a good movie, but it's 80s version of Starship TroopersNot the cosmic horror of ALIEN.

That's the point. It's not trying to replicate Alien.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Rudiger on Sep 28, 2017, 11:23:28 AM

It's a good movie, but it's 80s version of Starship TroopersNot the cosmic horror of ALIEN.

That's the point. It's not trying to replicate Alien.

Yeah, that's what makes Aliens a great sequel. Isolation was an enjoyable game but I do think it would be completely dull as a movie.

Rudiger

Cameron packed so much into Aliens, I think he killed the franchise for everyone that followed.

Highland

If that line was in a movie quizz 99.9% of people would get it. Probably even my mum.

Not sure about "got you,you f***er" or whatever it is Daniels says (see can't even remember lol)

Rudiger

Quote from: Highland on Sep 28, 2017, 02:10:40 PM

If that line was in a movie quizz 99.9% of people would get it. Probably even my mum.

Not sure about "got you,you f***er" or whatever it is Daniels says (see can't even remember lol)

The only line anyone will ever remember from A:C is "I'll do the fingering". And then they'll laugh.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed