Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 80,074 times)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 13, 2019, 02:20:53 AM
Isolation also wasn't scary.

I don't think Alien ever scared me as a child. The presentation of the creature is great, but bastards like Pinhead and Pennywise freaked me out way more back then. Even though those just make me laugh now, while I still take the alien seriously.

Isolation gave me more "suprises" than Alien, only alien related thing that ever gave me jump scares that made me scream enough to wake up my mom in the other room were the facehuggers on AVP Classic and AVP2.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 13, 2019, 02:20:53 AM
The Alien sequences were annoying AF.

Not into hide and run type of game?

SM

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 13, 2019, 02:25:57 AM
Maybe the first encounter with the Alien where it kills dude and your trying to board the tram had me feeling slightly apprehensive, but once I actually encountered the Alien and it was stomping around and shit I felt it lose absolutely ALL of its tension and was annoyed whenever it showed up.

I found a lot of Isolation tense certainly; but yeah some of those bits where you're hiding and waiting forever for the Alien to f**k off, then as soon as you emerge the tracker beeps again.  It can  go from tense to irritating pretty quick.

Samhain13

There is the easy difficulty.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It didn't really me either.  It was always about the worldbuilding to me.  Alien isn't hard scifi but the worlds felt believable and it is a picture of space travel and exploration that I always use in my head thinking up random shit for stories I'll never write. 

The Alien also has the best design.  Try coming up with a creature that has no Alien inspiration.  Not impossible but it continues to set as my default creature when I think of dangerous Alien life in my head.

That said there were times I remember feeling apprehensive in both the first two movies and those weren't replicated in any of the other movies and only the very beginning of Isolation when you are thinking the Alien is going to show up and your mind thinks up the most terrible crazy shit that is going to happen only for it to reveal itself finally and you realize it is burdened by the limitations of Isolation's gameplay.   

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 13, 2019, 02:37:31 AM
There is the easy difficulty.

Easy difficulty for console users is actually a more enjoyable experience for me personally because the Alien isn't around all the freaking time like it is on any other difficulty. 

I didn't have the patience for the super hard difficulty but I've beat it on all the others and Easy is actually my preferred setting when I do play the game. 

Samhain13

Samhain13

The challenge for me in the Nightmare difficulty wasn't even the Alien, its on how you can barely find any materials there, the biggest gap between this and Hard is on how scarce finding anything to craft is.

I played once on Easy to get the no deaths achievement and felt that the Alien was way easy to deal it, while on Nightmare the tension was always up, the bastard is good, the threat is real. The closest we got to Alien.

Kimarhi

I don't have that kind of patience.

The only thing I've ever done like that was with TLOU Grounded difficulty where it is similar with no hearing mode and nothing to craft and you basically just have to metal gear brick your way through the game.  I kept dying in the parts I didn't even know you could die in (like pushing Ellie in the truck) and was so pissed off by the end of it that I didnt enjoy the playthrough at all.

Some people like that shit and good for em.  But I usually play games to decompress, not get even more aggravated. 

SM

Kimarhi

He was saying you are old and lack the necessary skills to defeat the game on higher difficulties.

SM

Tell me something I don't know.

Kimarhi

;D

You and me both brudda. 

The Old One

The Old One

I felt more tense during Isolation than any Alien film, but I felt tension funnily enough during Alien upon first viewing, and Covenant when the Neomorph's about and seeing it as A Gothic Romantic Horror means it's infinitely more entertaining but the tension is completely lost when the Alien appears because of it's presentation.

Although I don't really feel much tension during Aliens (A perfectly entertaining film with a great script and absolutely nothing to think about IMO) or AlienĀ³ (But the last has an oppressive atmosphere I love and it's simultaneously hopeful and lost all at once) and definitely not any of the other ones.

But I played Isolation first on Hard on console, then I played Isolation on PC with the Unpredictable Alien modification on Hard.
And last with even more modification.

JokersWarPig

I'm gonna be honest, I don't know how you people are playing Isolation on the hardest setting. I've never beaten it so I'm giving it another "first try"(a more serious attempt this go around, currently trying to get the doctors help for the girl with glasses) and every time the motion tracker beeps I get anxiety.
This is probably more so due to me not liking being chased or unable to fight back in any real way, so I don't know how you all are playing it with it being around more often or in an even more unpredictable way.

The Old One

The Old One

Unpredictable means it's generally around not as often, but very intense when it is.

Still Collating...

Some of us are sick and masochistic folk! ;D

I've been playing on Nightmare mode since it got patched in. Less flame fuel and no knockdown by the Alien combined with non existent resources are just some of the things that gave me hell and I loved it. The Unpredictable mod is more realistic as far as the drop frequency, search time and distance of the Alien and it can feel more cinematic cause of it. Makes it a bit easier and more fun if you're not looking for that next challenging playthrough. It was my favorite way to play the game for the longest time, makes the Alien "cheat" less by making him bugger off, so you actually get surprised when you see Stompy. And there is a mod to make Stompy silent.

Now I play the Nightmare mode with the Insane mod where the alien has muuuuch better eyesight and literally perfect hearing. It really is insane, but it is what I like. To feel like I'm being hunted by the perfect organism who will find me if I make the slightest mistake.
Far from a perfect game and AI, but it is a unique experience. Especially with mods. I have a weird, sorta special bond with Stompy. Every once in a while I get the most terrifying and thrilling nightmares where I'm Amanda trying to escape the Alien.

All the criticism people have made I understand and are quite valid. Stompy can get annoying, the Alien mechanics are not perfect. But it just strikes a chord with me and gives me fear of the Alien like no other movie, book or game has done. I'm so crazy about the game that I might even get a VR headset when the VR mod gets done.

The Old One

The Old One

It's certainly a unique one, as A.I Design Dive points out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed