Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 81,497 times)

SM

QuoteIn my personal view, the lack of a playable Alien campaign was what majorly hurt the sales.

I'm not sure that would've attracted casual gamers either.

Perhaps a multiplayer death match (one Alien vs however many people) would've helped though?  Not with casual gamers again, but in general.

Huggs

Merely the inevitable result of not including a Holo-Stripper

Local Trouble

Maybe it just needed some of that ol' Randy magic.

HuDaFuK

I tried to find a gif of the rolling donut, but the internet has failed me :(

The Old One

The Old One

The people who played it, apart from the ones who dissect it, only try to forget it. lol

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2019, 12:13:21 PM
All entirely possible.  However my point is it's not really relevant to use Isolation as an argument against 'the beast is cooked', when it was really just re-heating the original beast.

I've got to disagree there. While sales wise, it disappointed Sega, it still proved that the Alien itself was an effective tool, even if it wasn't a massive departure from Alien. Unless the argument is "beast is cooked" = doesn't sell as well, opposed to not effective.

The Old One

The Old One

Exactly, and the franchise isn't known for massive profit in any department, SEGA expected more than reasonable for a Triple A, Alien videogame in 2014 after the last disaster.

SM

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 12, 2019, 09:48:37 AM
All entirely possible.  However my point is it's not really relevant to use Isolation as an argument against 'the beast is cooked', when it was really just re-heating the original beast.

I've got to disagree there. While sales wise, it disappointed Sega, it still proved that the Alien itself was an effective tool, even if it wasn't a massive departure from Alien. Unless the argument is "beast is cooked" = doesn't sell as well, opposed to not effective.

It's effective because it copied the first film.  If Ridley had done that, people would be complaining about that instead.

Sales is just an aside.

Xiggz456

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2019, 08:31:36 PM

It's effective because it copied the first film.  If Ridley had done that, people would be complaining about that instead.

Sales is just an aside.

Isolation is effective because of its atmosphere, tension, and presentation which are traits that it obviously shares with the original film; but this same combination is missing from the prequels. Sure the presentation is there but there's very little tension and the atmosphere isn't exactly consistent with the previous films. Isolation showcased what works with the franchise and therefore is absolutely relevant to "the beast is cooked" argument, let alone that it made the alien scary again. It's one of the few entries that the fandom can actually agree on favorably unlike Ridley's last two entries.

Voodoo Magic

SM

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Sep 13, 2019, 01:21:32 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2019, 08:31:36 PM

Sales is just an aside.

Isolation is effective because of its atmosphere, tension, and presentation which are traits that it obviously shares with the original film; but this same combination is missing from the prequels. Sure the presentation is there but there's very little tension and the atmosphere isn't exactly consistent with the previous films. Isolation showcased what works with the franchise and therefore is absolutely relevant to "the beast is cooked" argument, let alone that it made the alien scary again. It's one of the few entries that the fandom can actually agree on favorably unlike Ridley's last two entries.

Isolation was scary because it copied the first film.

I don't really agree with Riddles' 'beast if cooked' thing; but using a game that copied the movie that he made as an example has no merit.  I'll wait for when someone actually does something different and its scary as Alien.

Kimarhi

Isolation also wasn't scary.

The Alien sequences were annoying AF.

Saved by the highly detailed world and presentation. 

SM

It's been a very, very long time since I found an Alien movie "scary"; but peoples definitions of what's scary vary wildly.

Kimarhi

Maybe the first encounter with the Alien where it kills dude and your trying to board the tram had me feeling slightly apprehensive, but once I actually encountered the Alien and it was stomping around and shit I felt it lose absolutely ALL of its tension and was annoyed whenever it showed up. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed