Alien Covenant Blu-ray

Started by 0321recon, Jun 29, 2017, 02:49:35 PM

Author
Alien Covenant Blu-ray (Read 118,874 times)

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

I like the art, but it really bugs me how the front of the cover specifies that it "INCLUDES THE THEATRICAL & THE UNRATED VERSION OF ALIEN3 AND ALIEN RESURRECTION"...  But it includes both cuts of Alien and Aliens as well.  Why specify this for 3 & 4 but not 1 & 2?

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Man, that 'Master Class' documentary was weaksauce. The usual compliments being passed back and forth, intercut with the usual shots of the cast and crew laughing.

Come back, CdL! We're dyin' here!  :D

Evanus

Evanus

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 17, 2017, 03:33:15 PM
Man, that 'Master Class' documentary was weaksauce. The usual compliments being passed back and forth, intercut with the usual shots of the cast and crew laughing.

Come back, CdL! We're dyin' here!  :D
Yep, exactly what I was afraid of.  :(

Maybe the special edition will have a better documentary, but probably not. Will there even be a special edition?

Alionic

Alionic

This person points out how all four transmission 'special order' codes on the ADVENT video precede special order #937 in the original Alien, which of course amounted to 'bring back life-form, all other priorities rescinded'. I didn't notice this.

DorkiDori

DorkiDori

i figured the special order 937 code was BECAUSE of the transmission David sends back to home. its apparent in the way the clause is talked about in the original Alien. basically if a transmission is detected that could indicate alien life is ignored, all shares will be forfeit by the WY employee. because of Advent, now we know why WY has been hunting so desperately for alien life and why its such a priority to them that if the transmission is ignored, the employee is screwed out of their shares and  the whole reason SO 937 exists.... they want the engineers/davids creation!

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 15, 2017, 11:04:52 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Aug 15, 2017, 04:11:44 PM
Anybody know if Costco Canada is carrying a special edition of AC blu-ray?  Or is the version in stores basically the same thing?

Unaware of any alternate release in Canada, apart from the Best Buy steelbook (you're a Toronto guy, right? Yonge and Dundas didn't have it, but they've got the regular release).

I just picked up the normal version at Best Buy.  They didn't have the case version.  Lots of on-line goodies not included in the release.  Too bad, but the commentary was not bad.  Ridley doesn't strike me as very deep in his monologue.  I get the feeling that he is completely oblivious to his film's shortcomings...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.rogerebert.com/demanders/alien-covenant-deserves-a-second-look-on-blu-ray

QuoteLast week, one of the most divisive films of 2017 landed on Blu-ray and streaming services like iTunes and Vudu. There have been a few conversation starters this year, including "The Beguiled," "Okja" and "A Cure for Wellness," but I believe I've been in more heated conversations about the latest from Ridley Scott than any other film. People who dislike it, really dislike it, usually falling back on criticisms about moronic space travelers and some nonsense about perversion of the concepts of the original franchise. As much as any film in recent memory, those of us who admire "Alien: Covenant" seem to be seeing a different film than those who hate it—like two people looking at the same ink blot and coming up with completely different interpretations. Personally, it's a film I admire more each time I watch it (and that I suspect will be held in high esteem in about a decade as is often the case with films like this one). It's daring, philosophically dense, thematically complex, and the degree of craft in the movie is almost overwhelming. Even the film's detractors often opened with "It looks great, but ..." as if "looking great" was easy or common. It's not and it's not.

0321recon

0321recon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 23, 2017, 09:54:41 AM
http://www.rogerebert.com/demanders/alien-covenant-deserves-a-second-look-on-blu-ray

QuoteLast week, one of the most divisive films of 2017 landed on Blu-ray and streaming services like iTunes and Vudu. There have been a few conversation starters this year, including "The Beguiled," "Okja" and "A Cure for Wellness," but I believe I've been in more heated conversations about the latest from Ridley Scott than any other film. People who dislike it, really dislike it, usually falling back on criticisms about moronic space travelers and some nonsense about perversion of the concepts of the original franchise. As much as any film in recent memory, those of us who admire "Alien: Covenant" seem to be seeing a different film than those who hate it—like two people looking at the same ink blot and coming up with completely different interpretations. Personally, it's a film I admire more each time I watch it (and that I suspect will be held in high esteem in about a decade as is often the case with films like this one). It's daring, philosophically dense, thematically complex, and the degree of craft in the movie is almost overwhelming. Even the film's detractors often opened with "It looks great, but ..." as if "looking great" was easy or common. It's not and it's not.

Seems Birth Movies and Death is joining rogerebert.com with their own article.

The Anti-Human Marvel Of ALIEN: COVENANT...

Ridley Scott's divisive PROMETHEUS sequel may also be the year's most misunderstood movie.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/08/23/the-anti-human-marvel-of-alien-covenant

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/research/alien-covenant-debuts-no-1-disc-sales-charts-40667

QuoteThe 20th Century Fox sci-fi sequel Alien: Covenant debuted at No. 1 on the NPD VideoScan First Alert sales chart, which tracks combined DVD and Blu-ray Disc unit sales, and the dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart the week ended Aug. 19.

Covenant, which earned $74.2 million at the domestic box office, is a follow-up to the 2012 film Prometheus and the sixth film in the "Alien" franchise, not counting the "Alien vs. Predator" movies. It is also the third "Alien" film directed by Ridley Scott, and, like Prometheus, is a prequel to his 1979 original Alien.

Notably, 14% of Covenant sales were in the 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray format, the most the UHD format has accounted for sales in the first week of a major theatrical film debuting on disc. Blu-ray in total accounted for 74% of Covenant unit sales. Paramount's Ghost in the Shell had set the mark three weeks earlier with 11.4%.

Cellien

Cellien

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 23, 2017, 09:54:41 AM

I'll definitely give it another go, but I don't quite see how viewers are misunderstanding it.  The complaints are legitimate ones that carry across any film like bad CGI and undeveloped characters, which are completely orthogonal to the (also legitimate) concerns from the actual fans.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I didnt think the cgi was bad at all.

Iron Infililtrator

Iron Infililtrator

The CGI was put in really awkward places making it look fake. It looked good when the Alien was on the ship though. Really like the sleek design and the features that explain the design is really well done.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/alien-covenant/51709/behind-the-scenes-of-alien-covenant-get-seats-for-a-very-special-event

Quotelien: Covenant arrives on Digital Download in the UK from September 4th, and on DVD, Blu-ray and Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray from September 18th. And to salute this, we've joined forces with 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment for a very special event!

The event takes place on September 7th in London (next Thursday).

The evening will begin with a (soft!) drinks reception, and then you'll get an exclusive look at the extras from the upcoming Alien: Covenant release.

After that? A Q&A with the following people:

Conor O'Sullivan, the Prosthetics Supervisor on the film

Toby Dye (Phobos director)

And there's more! The event will be taking place at Madame Tussauds, and there will be an Alien: Experience on board the Covenant ship with live actors, as well as a wax figure of Michael Fassbender's character, Walter too. It should be quite a night!

For UK members.

bleau

bleau

After my repeated viewings, I find it a little more enjoyable. But still really disliked it overall. Overall the third act was just too short and not really that great. In fact I know  the opening was a little slow, but I was really into it and liking it until the backburster scene. But I'm sure over time it may grow on me a little more  :)

Prez

Prez

I've had the Bluray Steelbook since mid August yet today was the first time I watched it... anyone else have problems with the film being overtly dark?

Most likely my TV brightness however I've never had this problem with other BR or DVDs in my collection.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed