Ridley Scott sez "Prometheus 2 gets away from Gods and Dragons".

Started by Blacklabel, Nov 19, 2014, 05:07:47 AM

Author
Ridley Scott sez "Prometheus 2 gets away from Gods and Dragons". (Read 53,434 times)

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Nov 20, 2014, 11:27:20 AM
Hadley's is referred to explicitly as a "shake-n-bake" colony, which hardly sounds like the sort of thing decked out with needlessly fancy cutting edge technology. You make money by not spending it needlessly. That's basic business sense.

Just to add to this, the Aliens laserdisc notes that "the frontier town was supposed to look like cargo containers and other scraps strung together to form a liveable environment. The concept here was that the colonists would dismantle their spaceships in order to create their new living quarters and towns."

Cameron himself explained that "I figured the colony would have a more straightforward, rudimentary-type technology," The colony's model builder, Pat McClung, described the buildings as being built "out of giant shipping containers".

Hadley's Hope was meant to look cheap and rudimentary. I don't see why anyone would compare it to the Prometheus ship.

predxeno

*sigh*  Everyone here seems to keep forgetting that by Aliens' time, Prometheus's technology would be over fifty years old, making it very cheap and very affordable, so why wouldn't Hadley's Hope have tech that would be worth pennies by their time?

SuicideDoors

Find it interesting that after years & years of saying the Alien is dried up, Ridley now proclaims it as the most frightening movie monster ever. How can it be dried up then? There's always new incarnations of Draculas and Zombies.

I just know for sure there isn't 1 creature feature that has a antagonist as fascinating than Alien, the Deacon was a piss poor nod at the end of Prometheus

predxeno

Yeah, I know a few other people who feel the same way; as I said in my first post on this thread, Ridley doesn't care about the Alien anymore, he's just using it to string fans along and 2x his audience, which I find to be very distasteful.  People can insult Anderson and Strause Bros. all they want but at least neither pulled this kinda stunt on us.

Roland

Just like George Lucas, Ridley Scott seems to have lost his touch with what he made in 1979. Looks like the Alien franchise will only live on through books and video games. Which is fine by me, Alien Isolation was the best Alien experience I've had since James Cameron's Aliens.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 20, 2014, 05:37:59 PM
*sigh*  Everyone here seems to keep forgetting that by Aliens' time, Prometheus's technology would be over fifty years old, making it very cheap and very affordable, so why wouldn't Hadley's Hope have tech that would be worth pennies by their time?

We're not forgetting.

The Prometheus ship is part of a trillion dollar venture; yet in Aliens WY and the Colonial Administration are weeping over however-many million that the Nostromo cost. Also, the Nostromo was old by 2122; Ridley said in one interview: "I think that the machine that they're on could in fact be 60 years old and just added to over the decades. The metal-work on it could be 50 years old ... I would have liked to see it covered with space barnacles or space seaweed, all clogged and choked up." Talking about the fleet of ships zipping through the universe's spacelanes, he said: "At the culmination of many long voyages, each covering many years, these ships -no doubt part of armadas owned by private corporations- look used, beat-up, covered with graffiti, and uncomfortable. We certainly didn't design the Nostromo to look like a hotel."

The deisgn and story intention behind the Prometheus ship was completely different, it was pretty much Weyland's Air Force One.

There's also a hint of technological or cultural stagnation by Alien's era, which Cameron alluded to to explain why Ripley didn't have to adapt to any new, wild technology in the 57 years between the first two movies.

Concerning Hadley's Hope, it was deliberately built on the cheap. Nothing fancy. So long as it's functional then it goes in. It's a prepacked, easy to assemble, simple to maintain (in comparison to top of the line stuff) colony. The most sophisticated piece of work on the planet is probably the AP stattion, and that costs considerably less than the Prometheus ship.

predxeno

First off, the Nostromo wasn't worth millions of dollars, its cargo was.  Also, this still doesn't explain why Hadley's Hope nor the USS Auriga had any Prometheus tech on their systems.

Valaquen

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 20, 2014, 08:13:50 PM
First off, the Nostromo wasn't worth millions of dollars, its cargo was.

Ergo the Nostromo must have cost less, if they weren't bemoaning its loss.

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 20, 2014, 08:13:50 PMAlso, this still doesn't explain why Hadley's Hope nor the USS Auriga had any Prometheus tech on their systems.

I can't and don't want to defend the Auriga, but it's already been said that the colony was a threadbare mesh of steel containers, likely mass-produced and designed to be functional at best. There's no real reason to have holographic technology all over the place. The AP Station is certainly more advanced than anything in Prometheus.

predxeno

Holographic technology would have been ridiculously cheap by then, there was an 80+ year difference.  Also, the computer Ripley uses to contact Burke to tell him she's decided to return to Acheron was also remarkably lo-tech for an era that was decades after Prometheus.

Valaquen

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 20, 2014, 08:24:44 PM
Holographic technology would have been ridiculously cheap by then, there was an 80+ year difference.

The 57 years between Alien and Aliens didn't seem to make much of a difference. The Nostromo was also a supertanker built decades before Prometheus even takes place. The colony in Aliens was not built for comfort and was deliberately cheap and probably a little ramshackle.

QuoteAlso, the computer Ripley uses to contact Burke to tell him she's decided to return to Acheron was also remarkably lo-tech for an era that was decades after Prometheus.

She's living in a slum on a bum wage. Look at the corridor outside her apartment; it's a dump. We don't get to see similar or comparable environments in Prometheus, only the state of the art Prometheus ship, which cost a considerable amount of money to build compared to anything else in the series, even the AP station and colony combined.

SM

QuoteFirst off, the Nostromo wasn't worth millions of dollars, its cargo was.

Forty two million in adjusted dollars.  That's minus payload.

predxeno

predxeno

You're trying to argue that in the future, companies reply on 80+ year old tech and that no ship building companies would even bother to upgrade; instead manufacturing new models like the Porsche or the Prius, future corporations prefer the Cadillac cause it's cheaper. 

It doesn't matter how poor anybody was in the future, holographic tech and whatnot would have been remarkably cheap by then. 

We can also discuss the low tech in the conference room where Ripley got fired or even on the Sulaco.

Nightmare Asylum

We can also discuss the fact that the films were released at different times when we have different visions of what the future will be like.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 20, 2014, 08:57:32 PM
We can also discuss the fact that the films were released at different times when we have different visions of what the future will be like.

Exactly, imagine if Scott had created a Prometheus with fishbowl CRT screens and futuristic wood-paneled seventies decor. Probably a good chance that the majority of Prometheus' audience hadn't even seen Alien yet. Would have looked ridiculously dated to them.

p1nk81cd

An Alien in a Prometheus movie- YAY!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed