Ridley Scott sez "Prometheus 2 gets away from Gods and Dragons".

Started by Blacklabel, Nov 19, 2014, 05:07:47 AM

Author
Ridley Scott sez "Prometheus 2 gets away from Gods and Dragons". (Read 55,068 times)

Space7Horror

So if we are getting away from the original Alien then why would he introduce the deacon at the end of the first movie? Im all for a new alien but he can at least tie up a few loose ends and then move on from there. I still have no idea what the deacon is, is it a ancestor to the alien, or the version of an alien that would come from an engineer if a facehugger got on one? I just want to know that, and what the black goo has to do with the alien, if these are answered in some way then Ill be happy and im sure others will be too.

predxeno

Sorry Queen7, but the Dark Horse comics make it pretty clear that the movie won't be returning to LV-223 from Prometheus, we are never seeing the Deacon again except in EU.  Damon Lindelof also said that future sequels will be moving away from this sort of thing.

Space7Horror

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 19, 2014, 11:30:03 PM
Sorry Queen7, but the Dark Horse comics make it pretty clear that the movie won't be returning to LV-223 from Prometheus, we are never seeing the Deacon again except in EU.  Damon Lindelof also said that future sequels will be moving away from this sort of thing.

I know that we wont be seeing it again, but I hate the fact that its introduced along with the black goo which are both blatanlty realted to the Alien and we get no reasons to why, at least none that I have found.

predxeno

The Deacon was most likely nothing more than an Easter Egg to entice Alien fans into Prometheus's story; this would explain why the Ridley Scott and his cohorts are so easily dispensing a creature that has dramatic story potential.

Space7Horror

Do you think they will pursue any story with the black goo?

predxeno

I think the closest we will get is the Dark Horse series, which is actually pretty good.  I won't say anything firmly about the black goo yet since it is clearly a very important part of the first film, but any Deacon-related story lines are definitely dead in the film series.

SM

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 19, 2014, 10:59:26 PM
You are not posting anything based on what I have typed.

lol

Quote from: SM on Nov 19, 2014, 10:45:11 PM
:laugh:

Of course.

That's why you said "I am STRONGLY suspecting that the "tie-in" to Alien was nothing more than a cheap marketing scam to 2x the audience numbers."

It's not a "marketing scam".  If it was a marketing scam, they would've plastered PREQUEL TO ALIEN all over the marketing.  Ridley wanted to do a story about the Space Jockey so he did.  You're just still pissed that the AvP flicks got nuked by them changing Weyland.

QuoteI know that we wont be seeing it again, but I hate the fact that its introduced along with the black goo which are both blatanlty realted to the Alien and we get no reasons to why, at least none that I have found.

How is the black goo "blatantly related to the Alien"?

Quotebut any Deacon-related story lines are definitely dead in the film series.

Why?

Space7Horror

Its realted due to the fact that from what we saw in the movie, which is that when it comes into contact with a living thing it turns it into a creature that has xenomorph like qualities and ends up creating a alien creature that is very similar to the xenomorph.

SM

Fifield and Charlie didn't seem terribly Alien related.  Nor did Engineer Head.  And Ridley posited that both Fifield and Charlie would've eventually ended up like Engineer Head - with all explody heads.

The Deacon itself came about via a more specific set of circumstances.

The only thing blatantly related is the fact that some Jockey's carry accelerant vases and some carry Alien eggs.  Which doesn't relate at all.

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Nov 19, 2014, 11:53:45 PM

lol

:laugh:

Of course.

That's why you said "I am STRONGLY suspecting that the "tie-in" to Alien was nothing more than a cheap marketing scam to 2x the audience numbers."

It's not a "marketing scam".  If it was a marketing scam, they would've plastered PREQUEL TO ALIEN all over the marketing.  Ridley wanted to do a story about the Space Jockey so he did.  You're just still pissed that the AvP flicks got nuked by them changing Weyland.

Yeah, and you took that WAY out of context and claimed that I said the only reason I didn't like Prometheus is that it doesn't have an Alien in it.  Where in the AvPGalaxy did you get that idea?

Quote from: SM on Nov 19, 2014, 11:53:45 PM

lol

Quotebut any Deacon-related story lines are definitely dead in the film series.

Why?

The writers of the Dark Horse comics series made sure with people involved in Prometheus 2 that their stories wouldn't conflict with the sequel; if the sequel does take place on LV-223 and involves the Deacon then the sequel will have to take VERY careful steps not to conflict with comics.  Not to mention that both Ridley and Lindelof said that any sequel will venture further from Alien and will NOT feature the Alien's designs:

QuoteScott says. "So with Prometheus 2 what I'm trying to do is reintroduce a fresher form of alien in the third act." The Prometheus "baby" alien was, he concedes, "awfully close to the alien" that tormented Sigourney Weaver. His next one promises to be very different.

SM

SM

Yeah, and you took that WAY out of context and claimed that I said the only reason I didn't like Prometheus is that it doesn't have an Alien in it.

Don't see how it's taken out of context.  As far as I can tell you're suggesting the Ridley/ Fox is trying scam viewers by tempting them with an Alien that isn't there.  Can't think what else you're referring to with "tie-in" if not the monster.

The writers of the Dark Horse comics series made sure with people involved in Prometheus 2 that their stories wouldn't conflict with the sequel; if the sequel does take place on LV-223 and involves the Deacon then the sequel will have to take VERY careful steps not to conflict with comics.

Well the film isn't going to give a shit about the comics.  But that aside, you're assuming there's only one Deacon and it's on LV-223.  I wouldn't be surprised if a Deacon showed up in some form in the next film.

saintssinphony

I guess Ridley Scott isn't a fan of Game of Thrones then.  I hope he accidently catches it on TV then has some public fit bashing a television screaming no more dragons!!!!

I'd like to hang out with Ridley Scott.  Some people say Garey Busey is crazy as a shithouse rat but I bet Ridley couldn't get you into some awkward moments.   :D

lets all mob his twitter account with pictures of dragons and see what happens.  On second thought no cause he will prob delay Prometheus 2 indefinitely but I still kind of want to see what happens.

SM

I immediately wondered if he was referring to Game of Thrones too.  Then I wondered if he was thinking about The Hobbit.  ;D

predxeno

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2014, 12:33:48 AM
Yeah, and you took that WAY out of context and claimed that I said the only reason I didn't like Prometheus is that it doesn't have an Alien in it.

Don't see how it's taken out of context.  As far as I can tell you're suggesting the Ridley/ Fox is trying scam viewers by tempting them with an Alien that isn't there.  Can't think what else you're referring to with "tie-in" if not the monster.

Continuity is another factor, the level of technology onboard the Prometheus is nonexistent anywhere else in the Alien franchise; Ridley Scott could have followed the design of his own film and at least kept things lo-tech but apparently he doesn't like looking back on Alien (which every single Alien sequel actually bothered to do). 

Also, if Wey-Yu discovered Engineers before the first Alien film then why haven't they utilized that knowledge by now?  How have they all managed to keep the Engineer's existence a secret?  I'm sure you'll find all sorts of fan explanations on how this was done by die-hard fans but ironically enough you won't find one of these fans willing to explain how the US government and Yutani Corp managed to do the exact same thing with the events of AVPR. 

Put simply, Prometheus would have made a better story taking place after Alien: Resurrection than before Alien.

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2014, 12:33:48 AM
The writers of the Dark Horse comics series made sure with people involved in Prometheus 2 that their stories wouldn't conflict with the sequel; if the sequel does take place on LV-223 and involves the Deacon then the sequel will have to take VERY careful steps not to conflict with comics.

Well the film isn't going to give a shit about the comics.  But that aside, you're assuming there's only one Deacon and it's on LV-223.  I wouldn't be surprised if a Deacon showed up in some form in the next film.

Doing so would require Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof to look back on the Deacon and both made it pretty clear that the Deacon is dust behind them.

Space7Horror

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2014, 12:17:57 AM
Fifield and Charlie didn't seem terribly Alien related.  Nor did Engineer Head.  And Ridley posited that both Fifield and Charlie would've eventually ended up like Engineer Head - with all explody heads.

The Deacon itself came about via a more specific set of circumstances.

The only thing blatantly related is the fact that some Jockey's carry accelerant vases and some carry Alien eggs.  Which doesn't relate at all.

fiefiled origianlly was gonna look more alien and charlie didnt have enough time to change not to say that they would not explode later on. The hammerpedes came from just worms comming into contact with goo and became very alien like.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed