Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 280,046 times)

Engineer

Quote from: Russ840 on Sep 20, 2021, 01:46:32 AM
Strange.

I mean. I know it's a common thing with comics. Especially at marvel, but, I wonder if it's because Land has been given art duties on another project. Can't remember it's name, Timeless? Something like that.

Maybe that extra load is slowing down his output because, if there is one thing that Land is good for, it's putting out work quick (I suppose tracing helps with that  ;D), so o don't see him being the delay for any other reason.

Land isn't the artist for marvel's alien.

Russ840

Shit. You're right. I always confuse Land and Larroca.

As to why there are delays then, no idea. 

Corporal Hicks

Looks like  January 5, 2022 for #9. No cover or anything.

Russ840

This is odd.

Can't see why the would be a delay here.

Engineer

Maybe they're slowing down a bit to reevaluate their strategy after seeing the success of the recent game and the RPG (the RPG recently won more awards).

TilotnyWorshiper28

Delays in comics happen some take a few months off. Darth Vader recently did it.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 20, 2021, 04:12:57 PM
Maybe they're slowing down a bit to reevaluate their strategy after seeing the success of the recent game and the RPG (the RPG recently won more awards).

I would point more to Alien's drop in sales month to month and an effort to stop the hemorrhaging in time to allow a premature transition in creative talent rather than Marvel Comics being impacted by an RPG game in an entirely different industry. But perhaps.. this is just Marvel wide.

Meaning, we have to keep in mind that it's going to be a brand new day. That starting next month there is a sweeping entire distribution change for Marvel Comics from Diamond to Penguin Random House, which will likely negatively impact everything from solicitations to delivery. The deal doesn't seem to allow a smooth gradual transition between the old guard and the new, so I wouldn't expect it to be smooth sailing at first and this might be a compensation for that.

Or it could all just mean creatives missing their deadlines. :)

Richman678

Are we discussing the plot in this thread too? If so do we have to use spoilers tags too? I just finished it and i really want to discuss a specific character in it.

Engineer

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 20, 2021, 04:54:40 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Sep 20, 2021, 04:12:57 PM

I would point more to Alien's drop in sales month to month and an effort to stop the hemorrhaging in time to allow a premature transition in creative talent rather than Marvel Comics being impacted by an RPG game in an entirely different industry. But perhaps.. this is just Marvel wide.

Meaning, we have to keep in mind that it's going to be a brand new day. That starting next month there is a sweeping entire distribution change for Marvel Comics from Diamond to Penguin Random House, which will likely negatively impact everything from solicitations to delivery. The deal doesn't seem to allow a smooth gradual transition between the old guard and the new, so I wouldn't expect it to be smooth sailing at first and this might be a compensation for that.

Or it could all just mean creatives missing their deadlines. :)

Let me clarify a bit... I didn't mean to suggest that the rpg's or the game's success has negatively impacted marvel's comic sales. I meant that perhaps they're seeing the fan responses to that content, and rethinking their approach to the comics. For example, perhaps moving forward they'll try to keep more consistent with the other EU being developed in parallel (I'm still calling BS on Phillip Kennedy Johnson's remarks that cold iron wouldn't collaborate with him/marvel; makes no sense why that would be the case and I'm betting it was really the other way around), and perhaps that has changed their plans for where the story is headed (maybe even caused some re-writes). Just a theory...

Quote from: Richman678 on Sep 20, 2021, 07:18:50 PM
Are we discussing the plot in this thread too? If so do we have to use spoilers tags too? I just finished it and i really want to discuss a specific character in it.

When in doubt, use spoiler tags. No one will get mad at you for using them, but there's always a chance you'll upset someone if you don't...

Corporal Hicks

Just read #7. I like the new character, Jane. Think she has some real potential to be interesting here. Looking forward to more of her.

Artwork is as usual. Very little
Spoiler
Alien in this issue
[close]
outside of what we've seen previewed and we all saw how poor that money shot was. Nothing new to add there.

Russ840

Agreed on all counts there Hicks.

It very static and bland to look at. It is such a shame that we have not got someone with some flair and style to their art to elevate the story.

Engineer

Engineer

Spoiler

Did anyone else feel like that planet and the hunt in the beginning was basically a scene out of avatar?

The United Americas flag printed on the side of one of the ships was placed on there backwards. Weird. Makes me feel like it was a copy/paste that he accidentally flipped instead of something he actually drew on to the ship's hull.

The colorist is a contributor often overlooked in many comics. But I have to say, this time, the colorist kind of sticks out in my mind because of the scene in the beginning where Jane trips and falls. The oranges or what ever those fruits were in the trees in the background... they were colored and shaded so poorly that the ones meant to be further in the background looked more like they were floating right next to the characters rather than appearing like they were part of the trees further in the background.

The chestburster was one of the ugliest chest bursters I've ever seen in a comic, and it looked really out of place.

The art, particularly for the alien, is still as bad as ever.

The cryo tubes in the beginning, I haven't checked too closely, but it looks suspiciously similar to a scene right out of "aliens" and I suspect he traced it or photoshopped that scene straight in to the comic...
[close]

Spoiler

Oh also, if that character named "winter" was a reference to ACM then I'm rolling my eyes pretty hard.

And I think I already know where the story is heading. If I'm right, it's pretty predictable. Going to try to use a spoiler tag inside of a spoiler tag so readers beware:
Spoiler

I'm betting the U.A or whoever, purposely put aliens on board that ship knowing they'd overrun the planet and they'd be able to void their contractual obligations to give up the planet to those colonists.

If I'm right about that... then correct me if I'm wrong but that's basically just a re-hash of "aliens dust to dust" right?

[close]
[close]

hawkangel

So just read issue #7 - just me or did that character Ambrose look exactly like Martin Landau (Commander John Keoning in Space : 1999)?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Narratively I think issue 7 was a solid enough setup and stronger than issue 1 was for the first arc, for whatever that's worth.

I liked the allusion to the
Spoiler
AI situation, which is definitely a progression of what happened last issue, and I think what the third arc is going to focus on if I recall correctly from a recent interview with the writer. I wonder if they're going to bother actually connecting any of that to Resurrection's backstory regarding the Autons?
[close]

The art was, as expected, just more of the same. :-\ I say it every month but please Marvel, get a new artist on this book for the third arc.

Kradan

I mean, if they don't bother to get a good artist for their Star Wars comic line (which I would imagine is a more profitable one) then I don't think we should expect good artwork in Alien comics any time soon

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed