In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Aug 29, 2019, 09:56:05 AM

Author
In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise? (Read 33,845 times)

Kradan

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 27, 2019, 08:38:08 PM
I know, I'm great ain't I? Lmfao

Yeah, so great it even gets annoying sometimes. 

Spoiler
:D
[close]

The Old One

The Old One

No, never!

LastSonofKrypton

No, it capped off an amazing trilogy. 

Kradan

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 28, 2019, 09:58:46 PM
No, never!

Oh, I'm sure my budies will agree with me. Yeah, budies ?

Spoiler
[close]

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Not really, I don't think any one film can kill a franchise like Alien. It is fair to say it is unappealing to most because of the death of Hicks and Newt.

[cancerblack]

You're correct in that that's why a lot of people (especially casual viewers/non-super-fans) dislike it.

The film itself is correct in that life is nasty and arbitrary and generally unpleasant.

TheAlienKing66

While I do have some love for Alien 3, I think its safe to say that it did damage the franchise's reputation. It also marked the beginning of Fox's self sabotage in their handling of the Alien films.

The Old One

The Old One

20th Century Fox's management of the franchise has got questionable at times, but honestly- I don't think you can fault them much for the first four films, yes you read that right. The City of Lost Children Director is a good call that didn't work out. The treatment of the first three Directors is mostly identical, the fourth basically got complete control. And so did Ridley Scott with the Prequel (s) as far as we know. Of course this is a simplification though.

SM

Quote from: TheAlienKing66 on Oct 30, 2019, 07:00:59 AM
While I do have some love for Alien 3, I think its safe to say that it did damage the franchise's reputation. It also marked the beginning of Fox's self sabotage in their handling of the Alien films.

True.  If they'd let Fincher have the sort of freedom that Cameron did, it might've turned out better.  However by the time he was on board they'd spent way too much without shooting anything and too much on the line for Landau and Swerdlow to let him have that freedom.

On Resurrection it was a lot smoother - but they were still constantly taking money off the production forcing them to cut stuff.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 30, 2019, 07:30:24 PM
20th Century Fox's management of the franchise has got questionable at times, but honestly- I don't think you can fault them much for the first four films, yes you read that right. The City of Lost Children Director is a good call that didn't work out. The treatment of the first three Directors is mostly identical, the fourth basically got complete control. And so did Ridley Scott with the Prequel (s) as far as we know. Of course this is a simplification though.

Hiring Joss Whedon to write the script was a mistake.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Whedon, but his style of quick quips in every dialogue exchange has no place in an Alien movie. 

SM

Some gags worked, some didn't. It could've been a lot worse.

The Old One

The Old One

"Who were you expecting, Santa Claus?!"
I really don't think Resurrection's lack of funding is it's major issue, as correctly pointed out it's the writing.

Local Trouble

They should have restored Distephano's "eat my f**k" along with the Wren's Walmart line for the SE to really showcase the writing that went into it.

SM

"We're f**ked in our pink bottoms" can never be topped.

So to speak.

LastSonofKrypton

In Rez's defence.

"Drink Elgyn?"

"Constantly." 

Great f**king line.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed