Halo

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 12:19:56 PM

Author
Halo (Read 691,257 times)

Master Chief

Master Chief

I have. Every Halo game release day, I've taken the day off from work. It's a tradition.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Strange... I never figured you for a Halo fan.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Haha I get that a lot.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Played through the whole campaign yesterday. I think I'd say that this is 343i's best FPS Halo campaign thus far, and that it actually builds on Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians in a way that retroactively enhances them a bit while obviously feeling much closer in spirit to Bungie's original trilogy. There are some elements of the campaign's construction and the use of the open hub world that felt like a more refined version of what Destiny does with its campaigns. I didn't do a ton of exploring of the hub world during this first playthrough, since I wanted to take in the core story first, but I look forward to jumping back in for a second playthrough and spending a lot more time poking around Installation 07, claiming FOBs, fighting mini-bosses, and uncovering the ring's mysteries.

Narratively, I found myself very invested in the happenings on Installation 07 with Chief, The Weapon, and "The Pilot," and can't wait to see how Infinite is built upon in the years to come with expansions. I do hope some of those expansions expand in scope/scale beyond what we got here in Infinite, however; I liked the scaled down, single location setting of Infinite, but I don't think everything we get over the next 10 years or so has to be built around a single hub world the way this was. Would be neat if some of the upcoming expansions have us traveling to different locations over the course of a campaign. Maybe give us some different POV characters as well (an Arbiter campaign, anyone?).

And with the Banished prominently in the fold now, I also wouldn't be opposed to a direct Halo Wars 2 followup at some point down the line. ;)

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

I finished Legendary last night and the plot sucks.
Spoiler
So Cortana blows up Doisac and that's a footnote. Keep in mind we find that out at the end of the game. Keep in mind that the guy who took offense to this is also not the villain of said game. The person who blew up Doisac isn't even here, she's been dead for 6 months. Instead we're treated to "SPAAAAAAARTAAAAAANNN" by Escharum who is a brute dying of..., something, and wants one last fight for legacy purposes. You know not that Chief is the guy that didn't delete Cortana leading to the brute homeworld to be a bunch of burnt out rocks in space. He only wants to fight you because you're the biggest name who happened to board a ship he was calling at the time.

It gets worse because Doisac isn't even the first thing we see. We just see Atriox kick Chief's ass and later board the ship. We don't find out any of the inciting incident until the very end of the game where it's treated as if everyone already knew this information so nobody but weapon reacts to it. All that wondering as to why the brutes are here and it's because of revenge. They simply just stuck around. Or maybe there is something more because the worst boss in the game (Harbinger) also never explains what she wants or what an endless even is. So I'm not sure why she's butting into the plot.
[close]

I frankly have more issues with the story but TLDR they had too much going on and not enough sense to just pick one plot thread. It's a functional story, it's just not cohesive.

The gameplay is fine but I question why I needed anything other than a grapple. It gets you by faster than thruster and has verticality. It makes taking on bosses stupidly easy as a bunch are melee and either can't reach you or allow you to easily evade their attacks. That Elite with the red energy sword everyone said was cool and threatening? You can grapple around the room firing an AR at him and never get hit. It's stupid how easy this is. The game's early bosses though? Ridiculously hard. Which had led to some hilarious solutions to them like the tank gun or piling fusion coils to where they start the fight.

The vehicles are also pretty bad outside Scorpion and Wasp. The scorpion you would use to take an FOB and a Wasp simply to reach areas quickly by flying or use missiles on an enemy camp you can't reach with the tank. Anything else risks your hog flipping on even the smallest debris. I know a bunch of people load razorbacks but once you get the tank do you really need to? No, the answer is no.

It's an alright Halo, but it's not my favorite Halo by any means. I still say Halo 2 has the best plot in the franchise. It's a C from me. It's passable but 343 needs to just move on and start fresh.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

"That's not going to happen." -The Master Chief

This will be the basis for the rest of Halo going forward.

I have only barely started it, but apart from if the story falls off a cliff, I already rate it above everything but H2 and H3.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Easily one of my favourite Halo games. Absolutely loved the campaign. I was one of the few who actually kinda liked Halo 5, but I do like this course correction. It's much more in-line with Halo 4 in how 343 wants to handle the Chief - as a human - and I just absolutely love that take. I loved Halo 4 and the emotional core of that story, and I just dig it here. H4 and HI just resonate so much - especially when we get that moment with the Pilot towards the mid.

Enjoyed the small-scale open world. I'd have got bored if it was too big. As it stands, it feels like a scaled up version of the Halo mission from CE and I dig that. I do agree with those wishing we'd see other biomes and got some snow or desert or whatever, but assuming we do get regular updates to this, I'm hopeful we might see that in later campaigns.

Gameplay was super fun. I love that grapple, but still feels Halo. A very refined take on the gameplay, and I think 343s best.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Eager to get back to it tomorrow myself.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Oh and the art design! So glad to see them back to a more Bungie look to it. That was just the Halo look. Was nice to see a lot of the Forerunner designs taking queues from the first 4 games too. Gave it a very unified look.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Just finished this and absolutely loved it overall.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I haven't played Halo 4 in forever and I never played Halo 5, should I (re)play them first or just jump into Infinite's campaign?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I think MCC and Infinite's all you require honestly speaking, much like Halo Wars if you know the general story of Guardians that's enough, because I for one find playing it so miserable it adds nothing to the overall experience.

I think you can play this from the word go, but you will appreciate it a lot more with a fresh run through of the Trilogy and 4, the first three being outright excellent of course.

I cried two or three times, and I went in a skeptic, I typically despise open world type formulas for example but it really surprised me.

I'd gush about damn near everything if not for my very sparse criticisms mainly focusing on the variety in the sandbox itself, no weather, and chief(tain) among them a particular central antagonist character appearing two dimensional until you collect damn audio logs.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I'm wrapping up a playthrough of ODST to collect achievements (one missing audio log to go!) and then I think I might dive into Infinite, and then go back and play H4, H5, and Reach after that.

I played the absolute f**king shit out of the MCC and unlocked as many achievements as I possibly could in H1, H2, and H3 before I burned out and had to take a break from Halo for a good long while. I just checked and my game completion in MCC is 70% and I haven't even touched Halo 4 or Reach in it.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Not sure if this would be a spoiler, but just in case.  Did anyone else notice

Spoiler
the faint footsteps and heavy breathing while going through the missions?  That was Jega 'Rdomnai following the Chief after Escharum told him to do so.
[close]

Outstanding detail!  Love this game!

Finally beat it on Legendary! 😓 Now it's time to put it on easy and decimate all!

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed