What do you think of being able to "hide" from the Alien?

Started by Jegeren, Apr 25, 2014, 12:47:18 AM

Author
What do you think of being able to "hide" from the Alien? (Read 24,308 times)

oberonqa

Quote from: SM on Apr 27, 2014, 04:00:34 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 27, 2014, 01:27:28 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 25, 2014, 02:12:21 AM
Newt managed to hide from them.

Well, there's the foreshadowing comment, in the Special Edition, of how she goes where the other kids "can't fit", which seemed like a more plausible reason for how she escaped them. Not so much as a guesswork comment in dialogue regarding them not seeing her.

What's interesting is that the Aliens knew precisely where the Marines were holed up in, without any obvious clues to go on and immediately headed off there, once woken from hibernation. They've got very long-range 3D hunting senses. Also probably how the one in the first film knew how to get Dallas in the vent system. It's also debatable whether the one which got on the dropship was randomly patrolling or was able to detect Spunkmeyer and Ferro camped out there (and, intriguingly, decided to nest inside, rather than immediately attack, like the one with Ripley did on the escape shuttle).

So on the one hand they can see the marines holed up in Ops like a 3D hologram, but when a little girl crawls into a vent too small for them, they suddenly can't see her anymore?

What about facehuggers?  The vents and airducts would certainly pose no issue to a facehugger... and the movies have shown eggs placed near hosts.  Given the problem-solving behaviors already displayed in the movie (specific examples already brought up in this thread)... why didn't the xeno's start placing eggs in areas near where they knew Newt was but could not get to due to size issues?  Not like the chestburster that popped out of Newt in that scenario would be incapable of making it's way back to the hive once it was born.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

My point is, what if they never knew she was there in the first place.

SM

Then she successfully hid from them.

QuoteThe vents and airducts would certainly pose no issue to a facehugger... and the movies have shown eggs placed near hosts.

That movie showed eggs in the hive rather than the colony.

Huggers weren't really used as a weapon till Resurrection.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 28, 2014, 01:09:09 AM
My point is, what if they never knew she was there in the first place.

Thats possible... but how could she have survived without food or water?  Unless she stayed in the vent system exclusively and survived on refuse, she would have had to come out of the vents at some point to scavange for supplies.  She even referenced the xeno's sleep cycle when she tells Ripley they mostly come at night... mostly.  She couldn't know this without making trips out of the vent system to look for supplies... which could have lead to close calls with the xeno's.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Yes, which would mean perhaps she knocked over something and woke one.
But due to having a direct vision cone like us, it didn't find her.

Makes way more sense that the seeing "aura" from anywhere crap.

SM

QuoteThats possible... but how could she have survived without food or water?

She didn't.  There's food and drink in her hiding spot.

Kimarhi

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 28, 2014, 01:33:20 AM

More sense than an Alien seeing like a human does even though it doesn't have eyes.  wat

SM

Do double Ys not have auras?

...oh my god.

THEY WERE ALL ROBOTS!!!!!

oberonqa

Quote from: SM on Apr 28, 2014, 01:49:58 AM
QuoteThats possible... but how could she have survived without food or water?

She didn't.  There's food and drink in her hiding spot.

So then... why did she leave her hiding spot in the vent system at all?  Seems to me the safest course of action in her situation would be to sit tight and wait the infestation out.  She would have assumed that at some point, the xeno's would have moved on in search of a new food source.  Seems a bit careless of her to go jaunting about the complex if she had no good reason to do so. 

And lest we forget, she wasn't in her hiding spot when she was found by Ripley and Co.  She was out and about.

Kimarhi

Quote from: SM on Apr 28, 2014, 03:02:44 AM
Do double Ys not have auras?

...oh my god.

THEY WERE ALL ROBOTS!!!!!

Go start the prisoners were all robots thread for the lulz.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 28, 2014, 02:28:58 AM
Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Apr 28, 2014, 01:33:20 AM

More sense than an Alien seeing like a human does even though it doesn't have eyes.  wat

Why? It's "cone of vision" could easily be attributed to hearing.

Kimarhi

Which would be just as improbable as an Alien using Auras to visually distinguish prey from another planet.  Its an Alien.  It is all improbable. 

SM

QuoteAnd lest we forget, she wasn't in her hiding spot when she was found by Ripley and Co.  She was out and about.

Probably looking for more food and drink.  Not like there's a vending machine in the monster maze.

QuoteWhy? It's "cone of vision" could easily be attributed to hearing.

That what now?

Kimarhi

I think he might mean like echolocation. 

But who can tell with teenagers these days.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 28, 2014, 03:09:56 AM
Which would be just as improbable as an Alien using Auras to visually distinguish prey from another planet.  Its an Alien.  It is all improbable.

Only hearing is observable, vibrations and all that.

And "Auras" both disrupts A:I and the films, one makes way more sense to me and it ain't magical "Auras."

It could see you through vibrations over a certain distance, accounting for how Newt avoided them and how in Alien3 we are given both POV of it following people and the fact it turns to face them.

Echolocation?

Maybe that's what I'm describing but I've never heard of it before.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed