The 10-Year-Anniversary of AVP

Started by Scree, Apr 03, 2014, 09:26:43 PM

Author
The 10-Year-Anniversary of AVP (Read 37,945 times)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

#45
Ten years of Alien vs. Predator! I remember going to see this film and ironically.. it was released on Friday the 13th of August of 2004. I still have my tickets when I saw this film, and I remember keeping track on this film over at PlanetyAvP and of course AvPGalaxy. Unpopular opinion, I really liked this movie and while we are getting a haunted house attraction for it as a way to celebrate it's ten year anniversary.. I just sorely wish that it's storyline would've been continued.

Happy 10 Years, AvP.. Even if I'm probably going be the only one and MrSpaceJockey along as well wishing a Happy Anniversary.

Russ

Russ

#46
You never know what will happen off the back Predator 4. If it does really well, bet money that a suit will put two and two together and think of reviving the franchise. I'm with you, btw - I feel that the vehement hatred directed at AvP is something of an over-reaction.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

#47
Quote from: Russ on Aug 13, 2014, 05:11:58 AM
You never know what will happen off the back Predator 4. If it does really well, bet money that a suit will put two and two together and think of reviving the franchise. I'm with you, btw - I feel that the vehement hatred directed at AvP is something of an over-reaction.

While the upcoming Predator and Prometheus movies are all fine and dandy.. I would love to see an AvP3. I don't want a reboot, I want a sequel to the storyline which AvP: Alien vs Predator gave us. I also don't want said AvP3 sequel to tie into PREDATORS or the Prometheus movies either, infact it would be hard to tie it into the latter. But if people really want to forget AvP-R (and I understand why) then if Fox plans on reviving the franchise, then at least make a movie that REPLACES AvP-R.

While I do have sentimental and even fond memories when the first AvP came out.. My feelings towards the franchises have become bitter-sweet. The only good and kind thing which Fox has done for the AvP movie franchise is of course the haunted house attraction. Everything else is likely to ignore the movies and carry on. And.. that bothers me. It leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth but at the same time I'm grateful for the haunted house attraction at Universal. Everything else not so much and I'm left with a sense of apprehensiveness.

And I'm glad you see it the same way I do Russ.. The vehement hatred for AvP is perhaps an over-reaction but on the AvPGalaxy forums, it is a very popular thing to do. And looking at the poll results.. The majority of votes on viewer ratings give the movie a 3/5. That suggest most viewers see it as quite an average film. That seems about right in my book, though I rated it a little higher.

It's been ten years... And in those ten years we've got PREDATORS, and Prometheus. For the haters, you've got those movies. It's been ten years since AvP came out, and I think we need to make peace with this movie. Ten years is a long time to hold a grudge.

SM

SM

#48
Calling a bad movie, a bad movie, isn't holding a grudge.

It's simply calling a bad movie, a bad movie.

Darkness

Darkness

#49
Because we all waited forever for this film to come out and it was a huge let down. I'm sure you guys are the typical "just glad it was made" group that didn't really care what it was like. That's the problem.  Anyway thanks to Requiem it's nowhere near as bad as that.

SM

SM

#50
I didn't even bother with going to see AvP in theatres, it sounded so dreadful.

Took months and months before I got round to watching it on VHS.

Which justified my earlier decision.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

#51
I'm a relatively easy person to entertain, and it's pretty hard to have a movie making me leaving out of the theatre angry but there are a few movies that have done that to me. AvP was not one of those films, and I enjoyed it because it was supposed to be a monster mash up. And that's what I got with the movie. I was pleased with it. I understand if you don't share the same sentiments. That's fine and reasonably understandable, if you didn't like the movie you didn't like it. Different strokes for different folks.

Was it the ideal AvP movie which I would've liked to have which would've been set in space or a colonized world? No, absolutely not. I think it's safe to say that it would've been a treat to have that, and we should've got that. But the powers that be didn't want to use Briggs script, they didn't want to set it on another planet or in space.. Could Briggs' AvP lived up to our expectations? Hard to say.

As much as it pains me to say this, but aside from the haunted house.. I think that is the only thing Fox is going to do that somehow relates to the AvP movies. After that, they're probably going to bury it. Probably do what Peter Laird did when Next Mutation ended was by mandating a rule that a certain entry in the series never be brought up again.

Quote from: Darkness on Aug 13, 2014, 05:34:39 AM
I'm sure you guys are the typical "just glad it was made" group that didn't really care what it was like. That's the problem.

Can I ask exactly what do you exactly mean by that?

Russ

Russ

#52
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 13, 2014, 05:27:43 AM
Quote from: Russ on Aug 13, 2014, 05:11:58 AM
You never know what will happen off the back Predator 4. If it does really well, bet money that a suit will put two and two together and think of reviving the franchise. I'm with you, btw - I feel that the vehement hatred directed at AvP is something of an over-reaction.

While the upcoming Predator and Prometheus movies are all fine and dandy.. I would love to see an AvP3. I don't want a reboot, I want a sequel to the storyline which AvP: Alien vs Predator gave us. I also don't want said AvP3 sequel to tie into PREDATORS or the Prometheus movies either, infact it would be hard to tie it into the latter. But if people really want to forget AvP-R (and I understand why) then if Fox plans on reviving the franchise, then at least make a movie that REPLACES AvP-R.

While I do have sentimental and even fond memories when the first AvP came out.. My feelings towards the franchises have become bitter-sweet. The only good and king thing which Fox has done for the AvP movie franchise is of course the haunted house attraction. Everything else is likely to ignore the movies and carry on. And.. that bothers me. It leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth but at the same time I'm grateful for the haunted house attraction at Universal. Everything else not so much and I'm left with a sense of apprehensiveness.

And I'm glad you see it the same way I do Russ.. The vehement hatred for AvP is perhaps an over-reaction but on the AvPGalaxy forums, it is a very popular thing to do. And looking at the poll results.. The majority of votes on viewer ratings give the movie a 3/5. That suggest most viewers see it as quite an average film. That seems about right in my book, though I rated it a little higher.

It's been ten years... And in those ten years we've got PREDATORS, and Prometheus. For the haters, you've got those movies. It's been ten years since AvP came out, and I think we need to make peace with this movie. Ten years is a long time to hold a grudge.

I'd like to seem the complete the trilogy too, but AvP:R, whilst being profitable, wasn't well loved. I reckon if they did do it, it'd be a reboot - or like Predators, merely just reference "what happened in Gunnison".

Things are (relatively) cheaper now, though - maybe they could do the Space Marines vs Predators and Aliens thing that most wanted and expected?

In any event - Prometheus and Predator 4 are pretty indicative that there's life in the old dogs yet - but I do think a potential revival would lean heavily on Predator 4's success. If it wins... I'm really confident that AvP (in some form or another) will be back.

Quote from: Darkness on Aug 13, 2014, 05:34:39 AM
Because we all waited forever for this film to come out and it was a huge let down. I'm sure you guys are the typical "just glad it was made" group that didn't really care what it was like. That's the problem.  Anyway thanks to Requiem it's nowhere near as bad as that.

For you it was a let down. I really enjoyed it, it had some great ideas behind it even if the execution wasn't perfect. You should watch the (exhaustive) making of and commentaries on the DvD - they really do give some great context around the making of the film and why they made certain decisions. They talk a lot about Prague and the budgets and all that - it's really interesting.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

#53
Quote from: Russ on Aug 13, 2014, 05:56:06 AM
I'd like to seem the complete the trilogy too, but AvP:R, whilst being profitable, wasn't well loved. I reckon if they did do it, it'd be a reboot - or like Predators, merely just reference "what happened in Gunnison".

I would love to see an AvP3 happen and form a complete trilogy while also establishing the AvP movies as a parallel but separate universe to the solo Predator and Alien movies. Sure AvP-R was profitable and while it wasn't well recieved, I really do believe a third movie in the right hands might redeem the franchise. Third time is the charm, they say.. And I wouldn't mind if they did what PREDATORS did for the original Predator, merely reference the Gunnison incident off-handedly and leave it. Infact, ROCKY BALBOA, while said to ignore Rocky V, off-handedly referenced it in a throw-away line. If AvP3 happened and did something like that, I'd be fine with it.

Quote from: Russ on Aug 13, 2014, 05:56:06 AM
In any event - Prometheus and Predator 4 are pretty indicative that there's life in the old dogs yet - but I do think a potential revival would lean heavily on Predator 4's success. If it wins... I'm really confident that AvP (in some form or another) will be back.

There are already talks of Alien 5 happening, and according to one of the new Alien book writers, Fox apparently was considering it. It's not out of the question they would do something with the Alien franchise. And for what Shane Black's movie could go.. It remains up in the air. For all we know he might ignore PREDATORS (God, I can only pray) and continue off of Predator 2. Some have even question if it might continue off the AvP films but that's not likely. Not impossible but not likely.

If Fox does want to revive the AvP movie franchise, it might end up being a reboot rather than a sequel. So far Fox seems to be paying a lot closer attention to their franchise films.. Not just Alien-Predator. X-Men: Days of Futures Past effectively erased the original three movies out of continuity and kept only First Class. So Fox is changing their continuity policies as of late.

SM

SM

#54
QuoteCan I ask exactly what do you exactly mean by that?

He means there is a crowd of people whose mantra is 'We should think ourselves lucky we got any AvP movie', of which he believes certain people in this thread are a part.

This mantra is often countered with 'You're the reason we can't have nice things'.

QuoteYou should watch the (exhaustive) making of and commentaries on the DvD - they really do give some great context around the making of the film and why they made certain decisions.  They talk a lot about Prague and the budgets and all that - it's really interesting.

All that means is Paulie was able to make a cheap film look expensive.  Doesn't make up for a shithouse script.

But overall it would be beneficial to future filmmakers as 'Exhibit A in how not to do it'.

QuoteThird time is the charm, they say..

Like with Predators?

QuoteThere are already talks of Alien 5 happening

What talk?

Russ

Russ

#55
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 13, 2014, 06:07:04 AM

There are already talks of Alien 5 happening, and according to one of the new Alien book writers, Fox apparently was considering it.

That'll make the canon heads spin, for sure *lol* - I wonder if A:5 would supersede Prometheus in terms of that. Then again, lurking around on this forum has convinced me that Fox doesn't care about canon really. They should release a song and replace the word "awesome" with "canon" - "everything is canon, everything is cool and part of AvP"

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 13, 2014, 06:07:04 AM
If Fox does want to revive the AvP movie franchise, it might end up being a reboot rather than a sequel.

Yes, as I say above - I reckon you're spot on, though the nerd in me would like to see references to Gunnison and "what happened in Antarctica."

SM

SM

#56
QuoteThen again, lurking around on this forum has convinced me that Fox doesn't care about canon really.

That may have been the case in the past.  Not so much of late.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

#57
Quote from: SM on Aug 13, 2014, 06:14:25 AM
He means there is a crowd of people whose mantra is 'We should think ourselves lucky we got any AvP movie', of which he believes certain people in this thread are a part.

This mantra is often countered with 'You're the reason we can't have nice things'.

That's fine and dandy! Mind directing me where I can turn in my fan membership card then?  :D

Quote from: Russ on Aug 13, 2014, 06:16:54 AM
Then again, lurking around on this forum has convinced me that Fox doesn't care about canon really. They should release a song and replace the word "awesome" with "canon" - "everything is canon, everything is cool and part of AvP"

Well as of recently Fox seems to be getting more hands on with the Alien-Predator media and I would think that their stances on canon has changed. And I've mentioned that this doesn't really just apply to Alien-Predator, but some other franchise films of theirs such as the X-Men series and I'm going to assume the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot will try and keep in line with the X-Men movies since they are now the same universe.

Thing is with Alien and Predator.. they were never intended to be the same universe. And I think that's where a part of the issue lies in, and while the comics were great and did a good job.. It was mostly transplanting the Predator into the Alien timeline, and a lot of fans will tell you comics are just comics.. Not meant to be seen as part of the true story.

Russ

Russ

#58
Quote from: SM on Aug 13, 2014, 06:14:25 AM
All that means is Paulie was able to make a cheap film look expensive.  Doesn't make up for a shithouse script.

But overall it would be beneficial to future filmmakers as 'Exhibit A in how not to do it'.


Making a cheap film that turns in oodles of cash is exactly how you should do it, surely. Hence, Anderson's continued output.


Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 13, 2014, 06:26:00 AM

Well as of recently Fox seems to be getting more hands on with the Alien-Predator media and I would think that their stances on canon has changed. And I've mentioned that this doesn't really just apply to Alien-Predator, but some other franchise films of theirs such as the X-Men series and I'm going to assume the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot will try and keep in line with the X-Men movies since they are now the same universe.

I didn't know that - so maybe I'll get the A:CM movie I always dreamed of! *lol*

So they're following the Marvel template then - that's a good thing, really.

As for AvP never being intended to be in part of the same 'verse... I remember that thread - it went on for zillions pages, man! I started off as "they could be" and ended up with "OK, I get they're not!"

SM

SM

#59
Addendum to Exhibit A - "(If you want lots of people to not shitcan your movie and ask you to make more of them)"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed
Contact: General Queries | Submit News