Introducing a new Rebellion staff member to AvP-Galaxy

Started by ajm, Feb 10, 2010, 10:17:49 AM

Author
Introducing a new Rebellion staff member to AvP-Galaxy (Read 171,685 times)

GrimGunner

Hello Rebellion,

I have enjoyed the game and the only big thing I have to ask is about the MP browser. Is there going to be a way to tell if a game is in progress already so we don't start the load only to be kicked back out, or is there going to be a way to load into the game and instead of jumping in on the game at least just be in a view only mode till the next round starts. Also are you going to be able to have a search menu where you can chose a server based on ping and the server you want. I know at some point when servers are up and running people will have diffrent settings like FF on/off and such and would like to be able to maybe favorate these servers. I see some of this in the players search now, but am hoping for ranked games you just don't get thrown into what ever is decided. I'm not sure about all but I know many PC gamers prefer to have the abilty to join a server they enjoy playing in with people they like gaming with. Thanks for your time and I am enjoying the MP now, will be even better when the host doesn't leave and drop the game for everyone else.

Specter060

Hey Eric,

First I'd like to say I have played both AVP 1 and 2 and I have to say this one is hands down my favorite. You guys really pulled it off.

I'd like to suggest a game mode that one of the members of this forum came up with. I'm sure you guys aren't short of awesome ideas, but it would be nice to see among the list of awesome game modes.

Author: The Necronoir (this guy's a genious)
Name: Rite of Passage
Players: Up to three player-controlled predators (otherwise AI controlled).
Enemies: Waves of increasingly difficult aliens, culminating with the queen.

Basically, the gameplay would mimic the premise of the first AvP film. Now hear me out before you start hurling abuse. Each predator player starts out at a different (randomised) entrance in a pyramid similar to that from the first film. Initially they are equipped only with their wrist-blades. As they proceed inside, they encounter waves of aliens with steadily increasing numbers and frequency, and also gain access to higher level weaponry at designated points. What makes it interesting is that the pyramid would rearrange itself every few minutes, making your progress through the pyramid restrictive and chaotic. An unfortunate shift may result in you being trapped in a dead-end for a while, having to fend off the aliens until an alternative path is opened.

An ultimate destination (if one is needed) could be a central arena where the first predator to arrive is able to face-off against the alien queen. This chamber would then be locked to the other players for the duration of the battle, relegated to holding off the aliens in the surrounding corridors. Should he prevail over the alien queen, then the player wins the match. If he should fail, however, the chamber re-opens and other two players are given a chance to take their turns. You could also have it so that, wherever a predator player happens to fall, a predalien is spawned in that location, creating a nasty surprise for anyone who happens to stumble across it later (unless they are defeated in the queen chamber).

If the internal reorganisation of the pyramid were done just right, creating an effectively random path in each subsequent game, you could even get away with having a single map. The result would be a game mode that shares some of the survivalist feeling of the Marine equivalent, but overlays this with a competitive dimension which really suits the predators. Should they meet up during their random progress, players would face the decision to either stick together and help each other reach the central chamber, but thereby run the risk of handing victory to their ally, or else leave them to fend for themselves and run the risk that both of you will be overwhelmed before you ever reach it.

xboxgamer4life

questions 1
why does the host in player matches have so little control over his room he cant boot, he cant set the match limits for players, he cant give the pred more time to kill people in pred hunt, he cant take out or put in wepons its kinda rediculas
why dont team killers in ranked get punished. they should be booted after 2 betrals,or they should loose 100exp for each team kill, or at the very least they should get a respon penelty of 30 seconds
is there any chance we could get some remade maps of avp 1999 or avp 2 2001

xboxgamer4life

will there ever be a browse/create/join playlist for ranked like unranked for consoles

lettuce

lettuce

Just a few questions for the Rebellion guys, enjoying the MP side of things so far!!!

Just finished a 3hr stint on MP, infestation and predator hunt and loved ever minute of it. These modes would both benefit from a crouch button however, the LB if free as there are no flairs in MP, and could be a toggle crouch and also double up as tighter aiming awell. Theres nothing more annoying then being in a group of marines and them getting in your line of fire, if there was crouch in MP modes this wouldnt be such a problem.

1. Im not asking for a crouch to be placed in the SP game, as i think this would have a negative effect, it would change too many things, but adding it to just the MP side of things would help no end and only to the Marines not the other species. Then you would be able to have a proper defensive formation with marines crouching at the front and marines behind standing up, it just makes sense!!

Would this be something you may add over an update??

2. Not sure if this has been answered, but why was the decision made not to include the proper sound of the smartgun??, heck even Alien Trilogy on the PSX (1997-98) has all the authentic sounds for the weapons?

3. Now im sure this is down to licensing issues, but was it ever planned to have actual MP skins of character from the movies, ie:

Dallas
Paker
Ripley
Hicks
Hudson
Vasquez
Drake
Frost
Apone
?

4. I guess the same for the predator taunts, "Over Here!", "Anytime" "Want some candy" Billy's Laugh etc, again probably due to licensing issues?

5. Was it ever intended to have the Predators taunt included in the MP?, you have the aliens hiss, so why not the predators, like in SP?

Overal im liking the game very much Rebellion, i dont think the game was ever going to live up to the expectations that people had, but i think if the game has good support from yourself, at least the MP side of things can grow, if your able to implement the ideas that fans suggest and that you agree with

Gladius_

What are your plans for the single player experience glitch? Some people have purposely and accidentally boosted their rank very far with it.

thrown_hammer

First Question: Could you make it so when a game ends we all just go back to the lobby instead of getting booted all the way out to our group?

Second Question: Could we please choose species on species deathmatch? Even on a first come first served basis?

Third Question: Are you guys working on the PS3 matchmaking? The full game seems more like the broken demo. I have only gotten into 3 ranked games since I picked this up on the 16th.

I really enjoy the game when it works, just needs a little polish. This is on the PS3 for reference.

affinity

Hi Rebellion, I love the game but I feel the Marine skin selection is incomplete without female Marine skins in multiplayer.

Why isn't Connor a female skin in multiplayer?
Anyone who played through the first level of Marine campaign knows Connor is a female Colonial Marine.   Who was in charge of the marine multiplayer skins?   Why does the Connor skin contradict the character in the campaign?  I know they are an "extra", and there are only about 3-4 female Marine skins in the campaigns, but they (as well as some male Marine skins only seen in the story campaigns, like the guy with the thick moustache.)  should be useable/unlockable in the Multiplayer.

It's baffling because even in Club Eden, you'll see a U.S.C.M. poster that reads:

"Join the USCM,  open to all fighting men and women across the galaxy..... To kick some ass!  Join up now!"

Besides T. Aquila (Taquila), there even was a Colonial Marine who had her own audio diaries (PT. Rodriguez).

then there's "Connor" which we already mentioned.   Even if there's some "rational" excuse why the multiplayer version is a guy that uses the same name, it doesnt replace the fact all the marines, even the female marines, all have their own death animations when Predator/Aliens trophy kill them in the story,  so I believe Rebellion can apply them to the Multiplayer selection if they wanted to.

Besides Taquila, there are at least 3 other known female Marine skins.   
The one I nickname "bald unicorn" because she only has a piece of blonde hair in front.

The black female marine who I believe is called Hennessey (in the Predator level where there is the exterior pyramid ruins,
on two occassions the "Hennessey's down" audio cue seems to trigger most of the time after I finish that particular marine. Of course these skins are reused for multiple marines in the campaigns, but that doesn't mean a name can't be referred to that particular skin.   

And then there's the one with the short pigtails. (she stands out the most in the same level as Henessey, where she carries a smartgun and is guarding the predator switch in the water. a heavy attack then a trophy kill from the front, you can get a better look of her face model.   This might be the same skin that would have been used if the REAL Connor was unlockable in multiplayer.  Because both of them speak with a slight southern accent.  But if she's called something else, it wouldn't matter, these skins deserve to be useable in multiplayer.   So why didn't Rebellion make them unlockable and useable in multiplayer?

well it's too late now, the only chance to remedy this situation is to offer them as DLC skins. I would buy them, but the question is will Rebellion provide them in the near future?

kewhite

kewhite

Hello rebellion!!! love the game! Am enjoying it completely, but here are my major questions/ concerns:

-Would you guys ever be willing to consider adding private matches, or "Player" custom matches where people can change options for matches to their liking? For example: turn off marine motion tracker, lengthen predator hunt time limit, turn off weapons, turn off stealth kills etc... things like that? There are a billion options us players would love to explore, and other franchises (not to bash yours, AVP is legendary) have very much benefited from player customization.

-Would it be difficult to add an option to customize controls to the players liking? currently I am not a fan of the default control setups (I play xbox) for example: id like to be able to assign jump to the right stick press for alien. it would make movement much smoother.

-Would it be possible to add an option to assign ALL Alien wall walking to the right trigger by either holding it, or pressing it to toggle it on/off? as an option in the menu screen perhaps? currently there is no way NOT to crawl down a ledge as opposed to simply walking off of an edge.

-Another side related question to Alien wall walking; How did you guys land on the current setup for the Alien wall walking? It truly very difficult to navigate when there is no way not to crawl down ledges without jumping, and the "transition" button has a slight delay on it when walking up a wall from the ground. The new setup seems clunky-er and harder to learn, and the most surprising part is that the older versions seemed less complicated, smoother, and more efficient (at least in my opinion, as well as many around the forums as well as many professional reviews). Im wondering why the change?

-This is more an opinion than a question, but id really really really really like to see the smartgun removed from predator hunt. personally it single handedly ruins the whole tactical/hunt/strategy aspect of being the predator. The time limit combined with the multiple marines vs one predator seem sufficient enough as a handicap. Predator hunt matches that Ive played usually end up being extremely low scoring matches. Again, any chance at least being able to at least adjust certain aspects of gameplay in player matches/ private matches?

-For survivor, Id like to cast my vote for some larger maps that have multiple rooms, corridors, and places for strategy. Is there a specific gameplay related reason as to why the survivor maps are so small/ closed in? Or is there a distinct possibility that we may see some more expansive maps in the future? Also, why arent there any ranked survivor matches? gears of war 2 eventually added XP rewarding for survivor. Any chance of that here?

-I realize your not talking about balancing quite yet, so Id just like to add my two cents for the record: Predator melee needs to be reduced/slowed with an added focus on weaponry. I think he should at least be able to regenerate energy at least slightly, especially in team death match modes where predators get dominated alot. Predator disc needs a cooldown time between uses. I also feel that the predator could benefit from the taunt/voice recorder thing in predator hunt. smartgun needs to be removed from predator hunt. Alien tail attack from the ceiling needs either a charge time or a reduction in strength. Marine needs flares in MP (though Im sure you kept them out for a reason).

-Finally, Id like to know if there are solid plans for a sequel (fingers crossed!!!!) at this point, or are Sega and Rebellion waiting on the outcome of the current AVP?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) and congrats on an awesome game!

Bubb

Hi there,

My ranks has just been reset for the second time.

The first time I was rank 10 and during a match I was randomly disconnected from steam, logged back in and I was back to rank 1.

It took me a couple days but I had just got myself up to rank 14, once again I was disconnected and sent back to rank 1.

Is there any possible way I can get my ranks back? I don't even want to play right now because I'm afraid I'm going to waste my time getting my ranks back up.  :-\

lettuce

Rebellion,

How comitted are you to actually listening to fans ideas and implementing these in DLC?
Will you be actively supporting this game through DLC/Updates from feeback in this forum?
Have you read the 'DLC Wishlist' post on this very forum?

thanks

MadassAlex

Hey Eric

I'm back for another spin.

Can you talk a bit about the Alien AI and how it alters according to difficulty mode and other factors? It might just be me, but I think I've stumbled upon two types of Alien AI - 'aggressive' and 'sneaky'. The aggressive ones seem to be much more common in the Predator campaign and later stages of the Marine campaign, whereas the sneaky ones seem to be more of a mainstay in the Marine campaign.
Or is it all in my head, and the AI is adapting to each type of enemy and combat situation?

Deathly_rYaN

Question about Survivor.

When someone dies how come there is no reviving system? is this i to make it more realistic?

FrankO

Will anything be done to make ranked matchmaking suck less?

Will it eventually become faster, with more than four people to a game?

Will there ever be host migration?

Will we ever be able to choose our species in species deathmatch?

Will the predator disc ever be fixed to the point where there will not be a thousand threads on why it is so cheap, lame, and terrible?

XxecutionerxX

XxecutionerxX

This is more of a suggestion:

Wouldn't it be better if people could join when a game has already started? Because I always end up completing a match with just 2 other players out of 12 that were at the beginning of the game. I hope this is considered because it's a BIG problem for EVERYONE.

Thanks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed