Chances of Blomkamp's Alien Being Made: "Slim"

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 21, 2017, 01:28:06 PM

Author
Chances of Blomkamp's Alien Being Made: "Slim" (Read 41,688 times)

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 24, 2017, 05:51:55 PM
I have a feeling it'll be fast tracked after Ridley's trilogy. I really do. Sigourney will be older but she'll look the same as she does now...really damn good.

I hope you're right i really do. :)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 24, 2017, 05:17:26 PM
Which Fox has said they're not.

These new ones are.

Creditor

Why can't they do what Marvel is doing and develop Prometheus sequels and Alien 5 simultaneously? If Prometheus 4 is really going to end with Space Jockey crashing on LV 426; and if Alien 5 really gonna take place 30 years after Aliens, then there should 87 year time difference! Enough time for not any contradictory stuff to happen between the Alien 5 and Promethues sequels.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jan 24, 2017, 05:51:55 PM
I have a feeling it'll be fast tracked after Ridley's trilogy. I really do. Sigourney will be older but she'll look the same as she does now...really damn good.

It really comes down to Sigourney.  If she can push the right buttons (and I believe she can), then it should happen.

I'm really surprised at this given the passing of Carrie Fisher.  The studio should know these coming years represent the last opportunity to do something with the character.

Quote from: Creditor on Jan 24, 2017, 06:34:29 PM
Why can't they do what Marvel is doing and develop Prometheus sequels and Alien 5 simultaneously? If Prometheus 4 is really going to end with Space Jockey crashing on LV 426; and if Alien 5 really gonna take place 30 years after Aliens, then there should 87 year time difference! Enough time for not any contradictory stuff to happen between the Alien 5 and Promethues sequels.

Exactly!  I mean as long as Blomkamp's film wouldn't give away too much of where Ridley Scott's films are headed.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 24, 2017, 05:17:26 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 24, 2017, 05:13:33 PMIt was a vain sacrifice since they got the aliens anyway.

You can't really criticise the plot point based on what a sequel did several years later. And even counting the fourth film, she still gave humanity 200 years with no Aliens slaughtering people.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 24, 2017, 05:13:33 PMEspecially if the books are to be treated as canon.

Which Fox has said they're not.

Fox has officially stated that the Rage books are not canon?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Creditor on Jan 24, 2017, 06:34:29 PMWhy can't they do what Marvel is doing and develop Prometheus sequels and Alien 5 simultaneously?

Because there's not that much hunger for Alien movies. Marvel can bring out two films a year and people will still flock to see them. They do that with Alien and people would get bored very quickly.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 24, 2017, 07:17:42 PMFox has officially stated that the Rage books are not canon?

No, but they happen so far in the future post-Resurrection they're a moot point. I was referring to the older ones set pre-Resurrection that would render he sacrifice in Alien 3 pointless.

Gridseeker

Beacuase Alien is not a so profitable franchise as Star Wars; with Star Wars you can bet every movie will overpass the billion box office, so all the effort and money to fund a movie worth it, but sadly Alien doesn´t  :P  Probably the only reason the Alien franchise is alive in term of movies is Ridley Scott, either we love or hate Prometheus.

mn2movies

if you think this movie isnt gonna happen  your crazy,  they are just building up the hype,  its gonna happen,  too much money and too many fans behind it, relax and wait people,  stop looking for spoilers,  its coming

Scorpio

Quote from: Gridseeker on Jan 25, 2017, 12:48:52 AM
Beacuase Alien is not a so profitable franchise as Star Wars

It's still very profitable.  Practically a guaranteed profit, plus merchandising.  Even the lowest rated movie, AVPR, still made a profit.

The Alien brand is a licence to print money.

PRJ_since1990

Created a video about this. Take a watch, let me know what your thoughts are!

LiquidMonster

I really, really hope ALIEN V is still happening. Sounds like it's a great story and with the backing of James Cameron, that's gotta hold some weight behind it. Neil may be saying "slim" right now because he's tied up I believe currently either filming a movie or in active pre-production on it. It may come down to Weaver's availability as she's slated for Cameron's Avatar sequels as well.

If it sadly *doesn't happen*, I've tweeted to both Neil and Fox that a movie based on the COLONIAL MARINES in the same "ALIENS" universe would be a really cool idea. Alot of potential to show the other "bugs" and alien species that the marines had encountered along with all the cool military tech/weapons. And no, the movie would NOT feature the xenomorph at all but other "nasty" creatures they'd have to combat. I think this would fit into Neil's style of film making as well and his love for military tech/weapons.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 24, 2017, 08:11:39 PM
Quote from: Creditor on Jan 24, 2017, 06:34:29 PMWhy can't they do what Marvel is doing and develop Prometheus sequels and Alien 5 simultaneously?

Because there's not that much hunger for Alien movies. Marvel can bring out two films a year and people will still flock to see them. They do that with Alien and people would get bored very quickly.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 24, 2017, 07:17:42 PMFox has officially stated that the Rage books are not canon?

No, but they happen so far in the future post-Resurrection they're a moot point. I was referring to the older ones set pre-Resurrection that would render he sacrifice in Alien 3 pointless.

Indeed, hence why my emphasis was on Ripley's arc, and the thematic through-line of her character; the point was that the sacrifice was coherent and satisfactory thematically, since she's finally free of the nightmare for good. I love the idea that once a character makes contact with the perfect organism, where even if they successfully evade/survive it, that will only be a hollow victory; their insanity and/or fate are sealed. Hence why Ripley's sacrifice is thematically satisfying, despite all the issues that plagued the film. If further sequels are made after the prequels, well it's easy to accept that the perfect organism will always find its way back, especially if its origins are beyond LV-426, therefore it'd be best for all of the human denizens - and all other similar intelligent humanoids for that matter - to adopt the anti-natalist position, because they're not going to beat it for good, ever, thus they're all going to die whether they like it or not.  :laugh: 

Chris!(($$))!

I'd like a Blomkamp ALIEN movie. But I did not want what he was proposing as an Alien 3.2 So in a way I am happy.

Russ

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jan 25, 2017, 02:18:43 AM
Created a video about this. Take a watch, let me know what your thoughts are!

Great work - I really enjoyed it. I wonder about Covenant bombing hard playing to AlienKaamps hands... its a tough call because if it does fail, would there be the appetite for spin-off/retcon? On the one hand - "we didn't have Ripley - that is why we fail"... on the other "this franchise is weak..."

I just don't know, but thanks so much for putting the video up, great stuff.

Pob Spit

If this is "Smart Marketing" as some of you believe, Blomkamp has done a stellar job of creating a few corners of negativity and hostility to Covenant and Ridley Scott quite adeptly; Blomkamp can only blame himself for releasing his concept art online with no prior green light to make his film. Prometheus has had a hard enough time as it is. It's flawed, but the nitpicking it endured was beyond absurd, especially when similar complaints could be levelled at both Alien and Aliens which are the two most beloved and untouchable films of the series. If you hated the explanation behind the Engineers or the Space Jockey, then fair enough, but if you want to explores the stupidities and fractured logic of the series, the first two films can't escape them either.

I think what Blomkamp has done will not be forgotten by certain people. He must have known that Scott had plans for his own films skipping in and jumping on toes was not good form. Scott didn't suddenly decide to make Covenant because Blomlamps film had a moment of interest, Scott has wanted to do these films since before Promtheus was released. For those that have already decided they will hate Covenant, this is the moaning you're going to be seeing ad nausem for years to come "but we coulkd have had such a cool Aliens 5, Scott shut it down"

That is balls.

Plus, the major criticism I hear about the Covenant trailer is that it seems somehow unoriginal, are there the same people who believe that Colonial Marines, big guns, and long dead characters is fresh and exciting?

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SM on Jan 24, 2017, 05:51:13 AM
He hasn't directed any Pixar stuff though.

No, but he co-wrote 'Toy Story'.

Quote from: Hemi on Jan 24, 2017, 01:10:13 PM
Waaa??? I loved the Descent and thought it was brilliant... (we actually had to pause the movie to go outside and breathe air.. I thought it was very effective)

Each their own I guess...

'Human Centipede' had that effect on me, but 'The Descent' didn't. It's got a good sense of claustrophobia and characterisation, but the pacing dragged and I honestly found the 'monster' designs absolutely laughable. There was zero tension in it for me, once I knew what they were meant to be. So much so, that I honestly believe the script would have required minimal changes to have been transformed into a horror-comedy.

Ironically, 'The Cave' dealt with a similar idea and was released at a similar time, but had the opposite problems: Beautiful cinematography and viable threat, but relatively superficial in all the other ways.

But, yeah, 'The Descent' rather underwhelmed me. Plus, criminally under-used the excellent Alex Reid. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed