We Almost Got a Newt FPS

Started by Nukiemorph, Feb 11, 2020, 06:45:34 AM

Author
We Almost Got a Newt FPS (Read 12,753 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 05, 2020, 12:24:12 AM
"We take what we want and leave the rest.  Just like your salad bar."

Unless you go strictly films, at this point with the Alien EU you have to.

Take Predator. It was confirmed on screen and by cast members in The Predator that all six films were canon: 4 Predators, 2 AVPs, all canon. Clean and neat.

But on the Alien side, Prometheus retcons out AvP and the Predator creature, only to rope AvP and the Predator creature back into Alien EU canon per the Weyland-Yutani Report via Fire and Stone and subsequent stories. Of course, adding anything Predator related in Alien EU is canon to the first 1987 Predator film, which is subsequently canon to the AvP films, ultimately snapping the AvP films back into the Alien EU canon.

So as you can see...

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on Mar 05, 2020, 02:16:58 AM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Mar 04, 2020, 09:26:40 PM
It's addition, just as the idea of Ripley having a kid's one.
Adding to a thing alters it. Ripley having a daughter is also a retcon - it's retroactively adding historical information to her character in Alien. Saying Ripley's daughter went on a great Alien killing scavenger hunt in space is retroactively adding information to Aliens and the series.

Attempting to retcon the movies does result in a lot of garbage - but also some great stuff. Just like adding new things often results in garbage, or great stuff. It's almost like the retcon aspect isn't the fundamental issue.

Precisement.

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps I just used the incorrect terminology, I'm fine with certain types of retroactive additions, such as Amanda Ripley encountering the Alien, I'm not so fine with certain other notable types of retroactive additions, such as Ellen Ripley encountering the hive in Alien while saying she doesn't recognise it later on one's contradictory and the other's non-contradictory.

As for continuity and canon overall, I simply believe with respect to the individual franchises themselves, what's "canon" to Alien only affects it, what's "canon" to Predator only affects it, yet if under AVP's canon and continuity something comes into conflict with information from one stating one thing and one stating another, I personally believe the newest information takes precedence, as such a rule set's proved reliable before.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed