Katherine Waterston Channels Her Inner Ripley in New Alien: Covenant Still

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 20, 2016, 08:13:30 PM

Author
Katherine Waterston Channels Her Inner Ripley in New Alien: Covenant Still (Read 29,108 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: FUBAR1945 on Dec 21, 2016, 03:28:11 PMAnd it seens like someone forgot about the Storm Rifle at Weyland Security time-line.

You mean the gun that can somehow shoot someone from like 35km away and is infinitely more futuristic than anything we see in Aliens?

Wave_hun

I hope it will be much better as AVP2  or Alien 4.. :(((   I'm affraid of it will be fail again. :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(

BonesawT101

This thread is getting out of hand. You guys have no problem suspending disbelief when it comes to outer space colonists travelling much farther into the cosmos than we have done or will do in the next 200 years, to colonize a planet that appears to have been at some point the home of God-like humanoid creatures who may have had a hand in terraforming earth among other planets, seeding them with life and contributing to human evolution, AND on top of that, there are foreign alien entities unlike anything ever recorded- but yet you can't fathom guns that already exist and work in real life, being used by these fictional characters?? ???

Kel G 426

Agreed, guns are guns.  As long as they look real, why give a shit?

JokersWarPig

Because Ridley's failed me once before and now he's already failing me again  ::)

JokersWarPig

Over look it if you want, it's still lazy.  8)

DorkiDori

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 21, 2016, 04:50:49 PM
Over look it if you want, it's still lazy.  8)

again, i will say it... its like judging a fast and the furious movie simply based upon the wheels used on the cars in the film.

Corporal Hicks

It's not an unreasonable complaint to have. Aliens gave us iconic and original weaponry. To want more originality isn't an issue. I'm a little disappointed myself that we're not even seeing any attempt at redressing these guns to look different.

That said, it's not going to kill the film. This isn't Aliens. We're not going to have a focus on the hardware and how impressive it is. There's going to be no "I'd like to introduce you to a personal friend of mine" kind of thing. That's just not what this film is going to entail.

Yeah, it's a little disappointing for those interested in the hardware but it's not going to kill the film.

NickisSmart

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 21, 2016, 04:38:39 PM
Because Ridley's failed me once before and now he's already failing me again  ::)

You seem hard to please.

szkoki

David did it because "he could"

Infected

Quote from: Canon_Barbarian on Dec 21, 2016, 02:36:25 PM
Quote from: Infected on Dec 21, 2016, 01:23:35 PM
Ever heard of an M1911? And how long that is in service? And how reliable it is.
What if the Covenant took off at around 2050 thats like 30 years from now,
you dont think if a spaceship took off from 2050 would have our modern guns?
Although it would be cool to see some modified guns like what they did with the pulse rifle,

Even if it is 2050, they should update guns and optics at least a bit. Cryo tubes, spaceships + modern not-futuristic weaponry looks dump.
But movie probably take place after Prometheus, somewhere around 2100, so AUG is bullshit.

Hope it will be adequate explanation for AUG and ACOG, but I suspect Ridley just doesn't give a shit.
The m16 is from 1960 thats 56 years ago, still to this day it hasnt change much has it?
So if the Covenant left at 2050, it would have taken guns but no gun factory nor would it take a development team that would create guns while they are traveling through space.
ah whatever just deal with it. :)

slipknotpredator

hmmm... first photo from covenant that worries me a little. There's no need for another Ripley. Remember that chick from AVP2 screaming "HOLD ON!" while driving the APC? Not good.

NickisSmart

Why is that an issue? The Magnificent Seven was practically a note-for-note rehash of Seven Samurai, but it didn't stop it from being a good film, in it's own right. The Bear by William Faulkner was a "white indian" adventure story (at least concerning its aesthetics) but that didn't stop it from being a famous, complex piece of literature.

AvP2 didn't suck because it had a Ripley clone in it, anymore than the second movie did for borrowing very generously from the first film in terms of tropes, texture and plot. AvP2 sucked because it was a bad film, period. Covenant could have a "Ripley clone" in it, or, you could look at it like "the strongest most resilient character surviving." To me, this just makes sense, and the gender and look is purely cosmetic. To fret about those matters is to fret about window dressing. What matters is the craft of the filmmakers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed