Rebellion's position on further AVP support

Started by [REB]Trigger, Jul 21, 2010, 01:19:06 PM

Author
Rebellion's position on further AVP support (Read 72,972 times)

shadowedge

Quote from: Solid Snake on Nov 30, 2013, 01:11:17 AM
I think Rebellion making another AvP game isn't a bad idea, anything at this point is better than A:CM

I am not so sure anymore. Their FPS game track record of the last several years has been pretty bad. They may have made good on the AVP license in the past with the Jaguar and first PC game, but I don't know if they are up to it now. AVP 2010 was not horrible but it was not good either, at least not as good as the their first AVP PC game or AVP2. Even their AVP Classic 2000 port was shoddy and really terrible at first because it was based on fan made code. I absolutely do not want them to make another.

JokersWarPig

I swear I think I'm the only one on the face of the earth that loves AVP2010. My only complaints in the entire game was that the marines didn't wear helmets in multiplayer and there was no iron sights for the pulse rifle.

p1nk81cd

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 05, 2013, 07:41:02 AM
I swear I think I'm the only one on the face of the earth that loves AVP2010. My only complaints in the entire game was that the marines didn't wear helmets in multiplayer and there was no iron sights for the pulse rifle.

You're not alone.  :)

It was a pity that the game died so quickly, I believe it is one of those lost gems, as people would call it. And I still rage to this day because of the lack of a Runner and Predalien skin. The Berserkers from Predators would have made brilliant skins.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 05, 2013, 07:41:02 AMI swear I think I'm the only one on the face of the earth that loves AVP2010. My only complaints in the entire game was that the marines didn't wear helmets in multiplayer and there was no iron sights for the pulse rifle.
I liked it, and my opinion of it has actually grown quite a bit upon revisiting it recently. But it definitely has it's faults.

The story was actually fairly good, but it was delivered really badly in the game. It was also very obviously harmed by the decision to shoehorn each character's plot into the same five or six maps. That was such a cheap decision and filled the game with contradictions and timescale clashes that didn't need to be there. It was especially bad for Six, who had no story to speak of and felt like its campaign had been thrown in at the last minute. You just went around killing with no real motive or goals. At least Rookie and Dark had some story progression.

The multiplayer matchmaking was a disgrace, but when it actually worked the online was a huge amount of fun. I never got tired of freaking out as a Marine, watching the motion tracker going crazy as everyone else came at me from all sides. I only stopped playing because the community died (admittedly as a result of the broken matchmaking).

PHANTOM

Always loved it, from it's amazing DX11 graphics, atmosphere, and chaotic multiplayer experience.

I believe my steam account said I put in 312 hours of gaming since it's release 8)

Xenoscream

I'd give them a second chance. They did a decent job all things considered.

I think the best part of the game for me was the Marine campaign, switch it up to nightmare and it feels like an old school shooter with very VERY little room for mistakes. I got the platinum for AvP, and damn I had to work for it.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenoscream on Dec 17, 2013, 03:27:18 PMI think the best part of the game for me was the Marine campaign, switch it up to nightmare and it feels like an old school shooter with very VERY little room for mistakes. I got the platinum for AvP, and damn I had to work for it.
Yeah, the Marine campaign was far and away the best of the three. Genuinely scary at times. It suffered a bit in that the first couple of levels were much more exciting than the later ones though.

Nightmare for the Marine was a bitch. Lost count of the number of times I slogged through that bastard-hard final level only to have Weyland gun me down while I tried to pop him in the head :D

Xenoscream

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 17, 2013, 04:18:13 PM
Quote from: Xenoscream on Dec 17, 2013, 03:27:18 PMI think the best part of the game for me was the Marine campaign, switch it up to nightmare and it feels like an old school shooter with very VERY little room for mistakes. I got the platinum for AvP, and damn I had to work for it.
Yeah, the Marine campaign was far and away the best of the three. Genuinely scary at times. It suffered a bit in that the first couple of levels were much more exciting than the later ones though.

Nightmare for the Marine was a bitch. Lost count of the number of times I slogged through that bastard-hard final level only to have Weyland gun me down while I tried to pop him in the head :D

I feel your pain! I got gunned down at least once in the cut scene... urgh that bastard!

happypred

Quote from: PHANTOM on Dec 12, 2013, 06:59:03 PM
Always loved it, from it's amazing DX11 graphics, atmosphere, and chaotic multiplayer experience.

It does look pretty great with DX11 even now, considering it's an early 2010 game

skull-splitter

Quote from: Xenoscream on Dec 17, 2013, 03:27:18 PM
I'd give them a second chance. They did a decent job all things considered.
AvP'10 was their third to be correct. AvP-Jaguar: damn fine job considered the tech and times. AvP'99: technically impressive but failing as a game (there were plenty of games that did a better job at telling a story and having a better gameplay) IMO, but seen it was the best we had: played the hell out of that one.

AvP2 was technically wonky but managed to deliver on large scale levels, telling a compelling story and intwine all three species in it without any of them feeling off. It's total lack of mod-support and chosen art direction (rather cartoony and in that sense perhaps Borderlands' predecessor) made it an aquired taste.

AvP'10 made me think of AvP'99, and not in the good way. It sure looks impressive, but fails as a game. Partly because SEGA pushed it out to make up for the (new) delay of ACM so loads of content were rushed or cut out entirely I guess, but I don't like the reliancy on the AvP-films in terms of aesthatics and lore.

With today's technology (Cryengine, Unreal Engine for example), I really would love to see the teams of Raven that pulled Jedi Knight 2: Outcast and the vastly underappreciated Singularity, both products of love for the respective franchises, loads of atmosphere and mood and despite their flaws vastly better games than AvP'10 was.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: skull-splitter on Oct 07, 2014, 07:20:16 AMAvP'10 made me think of AvP'99, and not in the good way. It sure looks impressive, but fails as a game. Partly because SEGA pushed it out to make up for the (new) delay of ACM so loads of content were rushed or cut out entirely I guess, but I don't like the reliancy on the AvP-films in terms of aesthatics and lore.

Yeah, a lot was cut from the game, judging by the concept art.

Corporal Hicks

They had wanted more time to refine it before release but due to all the messing about the ACM, Sega weren't willing to give them time. To be fair to Rebellion, they did further work with the community to balance it with later patches.

The game looked gorgeous and I appreciated the experiment with the gameplay - I loved the in-your-face nature of the melee system - but it didn't work for everyone. It's just a shame they can't carry an interwining story. The story was what let down AvP Classic and the fact they didn't have an actual script for this version lets it down too.

AvP2 showed that the 3 campaigns offers an opportunity for a story with greater scope.

I would glady let Rebellion come back though - I love the experience of AvP Classic, I loved AvP 2010 (those first 3 marines levels!!) - I'd just hope they've learnt from the previous game.

Russ

I'm coming in late, but aren't there geniuses (genii?) out there that make mods and campaigns for this sort of thing. I used to love playing Rome: Total War (the classic version, I've not played the new one) and there were tonnes of new things being developed on the forums (everything from authentic armour to Lord of the Rings campaigns. They even had a Napoleonic campaign years before the "actual" one came out).

skull-splitter

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 07, 2014, 07:59:15 AM
They had wanted more time to refine it before release but due to all the messing about the ACM, Sega weren't willing to give them time. To be fair to Rebellion, they did further work with the community to balance it with later patches.

The game looked gorgeous and I appreciated the experiment with the gameplay - I loved the in-your-face nature of the melee system - but it didn't work for everyone. It's just a shame they can't carry an interwining story. The story was what let down AvP Classic and the fact they didn't have an actual script for this version lets it down too.

AvP2 showed that the 3 campaigns offers an opportunity for a story with greater scope.

I would glady let Rebellion come back though - I love the experience of AvP Classic, I loved AvP 2010 (those first 3 marines levels!!) - I'd just hope they've learnt from the previous game.
The melee-system and overly clear consolitis the game showed did the trick, add to that the far from efficient (but still impressive) engine.
Some design elements were great (loved those droids) but in the end it felt like a tech demo rather than a game.

I'd love to see a proper AvP with today's tech, but I sure as hell want it to have proper gameplay and a proper story to go with it.
That, and proper multiplayer and some attention to the PC as a platform.
AvP'10 was a stillborn IMO.

Xhan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 07, 2014, 07:59:15 AM

Trigger wasn't too happy with most of our suggestions, and other folks on staff were outraged a Predator could actually be knocked down by an Alien after that was finally shouted through by sheer volume of loudness.

The after-patch was more of a solo effort by trigger to get tailored and screened community feedback in general on Rebellion titles, it just happened to be about AvP's balance at the time.

SEGA most certainly hamstrung them, and they were the ginger stepchild of the group in terms of logistics and leeway, but they also fell down on their own, with some pretty shortsighted choices, and A:CM is somehow actually far more factionally balanced than 2010 has ever thought about being.

2010 should have been Predator: Isolation with tri-faction mp. Pretty clear which species got the most love from Rebellion, intentional or not.

2010 was shortchanged on both sides of the fence.

Quotemods

Rebellion wasn't in the mood to make royalty free tools and SEGA wasn't in the mood to do anything but get maximum yield from maximum turnaround. Look at other licensed titles they launched after that, such as the Marvel ones.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed