Things of note in Weyland Information page

Started by harlock, Mar 22, 2012, 12:36:38 AM

Author
Things of note in Weyland Information page (Read 27,705 times)

harlock

I looked through the Weyland Investor Information page and I was struck by a few things, so I thought I'd share with the class  :)

First was the increase in life expectancy. Now lets say that Project Prometheus was begun in 2073 and would launch in 2081. Thats 8 years past inception and from when Shaw and Holloway probably got the idea to go with Weyland.

I was then wondering about the stasis tech, that if people slept in Stasis beds, they would in theory, age slower. Eight hours sleep would knock a third of your aging off, meaning someone who was 27 in 2072 would age physically 3 years by 2081, so rather than be 36, they'd be 30.

Not much of a gap to be noticable, but what if you're getting on, like Weyland and have the luxury to spend more and more time in stasis? Weyland may not be as old physically as 93 in this movie!  8)

--

Also did anyone notice that there is one android employee yet millions are about Weyland Corp and put to work? Looks like Weyland's David, the one on the trip, would be that employee...

And anyone notice the complete lack of David androids in the security branch of Weyland Corp? Theyre physically able so why not put any there?? Theres also a distinct lack of sales in that sector compared to others, that could bite them in this film when they need to defend themselves!

So thats my thoughts on the new page, any opinions guys?  :)

Eva

Androids not working in security/defense sectors, could relate to Asimovs 3 laws for robots - not being allowed to harm people (someone correct me if I got them wrong).

I think that could be 1 android per 9 humans in Weylands workforce, gender specified.

SM

SM

QuoteAlso did anyone notice that there is one android employee yet millions are about Weyland Corp and put to work? Looks like Weyland's David, the one on the trip, would be that employee...

1% of employees are artifical I believe, rather than 'one single android'.

QuoteAndroids not working in security/defense sectors, could relate to Asimovs 3 laws for robots - not being allowed to harm people (someone correct me if I got them wrong).

Bishop seemed to indicate the Asimov protocols are a more recent development in 2179, so it's possible robots are kept away from defence for that very reason.  And yet, you wouldn't want anything that potentially lethal mixing with the general populace I woulda thunk.

Face Jockey

Heck, Weyland may normally just wake himself up one day a year to check on things and see if his robot army has uncovered the secrets to immortality (or the location of the gods) yet.

Possibly the Engineers have already been doing the same thing. Spending long periods of time in stasis (since they appear to have stasis chambers in the Jockey ship) may be the only way for an individual entity to effectively manage a very long term project such as tending to an evolution of a species.

zuzuki

Quote from: harlock on Mar 22, 2012, 12:36:38 AM

First was the increase in life expectancy. Now lets say that Project Prometheus was begun in 2073 and would launch in 2081. Thats 8 years past inception and from when Shaw and Holloway probably got the idea to go with Weyland.

I was then wondering about the stasis tech, that if people slept in Stasis beds, they would in theory, age slower. Eight hours sleep would knock a third of your aging off, meaning someone who was 27 in 2072 would age physically 3 years by 2081, so rather than be 36, they'd be 30.

Not much of a gap to be noticable, but what if you're getting on, like Weyland and have the luxury to spend more and more time in stasis? Weyland may not be as old physically as 93 in this movie!  8)

--

The probably started to prepare the mission in 2073 and launched in 2081. In the recent interview it seems they were in hypersleep for only 2 and a half years

http://m.movies.com/movie-news/prometheus-interview/7133?wssac=164&wssaffid=news

QuoteWhat I thought was very interesting was that you have this guy who was on his own for two-and-a-half years while everyone else was in cryostasis, so what did he do to amuse himself?

But i do believe weyland had himself frozen some time before the mission began, or in 2073. And they wake him back when they land

DivineStrike

Did any of you call the customer service number the investor email sent out DIAL: **WEYLAND

theres a message you can listen to and it sends you a text with a link to the our family is growing video you can watch, even though its still unavailable on their website.

harlock

Looking at Cosmic Call 2's wiki page shows there were 5 messages sent to the following constellations;

Cassiopeia, Orion, Cancer, Andromeda and Ursa Major (the last two are the ones most likely still waiting on for a response due to their later arrival dates, but also see below).

We can then assume if the Engineer(s) responded, their messages from the last three stars came in before 2073. But what is more interesting is their links name-wise to Greek Mythology - excluding Cancer and Ursa Major.

Cassiopeia - Tied to a chair of torture by Poseidon for her hubris against him.

Orion - Son of Poseidon, lots of stuff Prometheus related to this guy, read his wikipedia page.

Andromeda - Tied to a rock for the beast Cetus to claim due to her mother Cassiopeia's actions.

SM

I mentioned in another thread the other day that the stars looked like part of Ursa Major <- (it's place in Greek mythology mentioned here).

Wolv1337

The "received" part in Cosmic Call 2 messages is really confusing. They received what? Response from an intelligent extraterrestrial life? Don't you think that's a huge discovery, considering it's not mentioned in timeline or anywhere else?

Like; woopty-f**kin-do, we discovered intelligent alien life, but f**k it, we're not even gonna bother announcing it... it's not like anyone cares if we're alone in the universe or not, just list it on some stupid company financial report... yeah, that infographic over there, just say we already received 3 replies from intelligent alien life, while we're expecting 5, since obviously every system we've sent our messages to has to have intelligent life!

I'd really like to know what exactly do they mean by 3/5 Cosmic Call 2 "messages received".

Cvalda

Not sure what to think of this Cosmic Call stuff possibly being integrated into the plot of PROMETHEUS, but if it's handled right, it could ultimately be one of the scariest things in the film. Set aside Carl Sagan's dewey-eyed, boyish wonder at the heavens for a sec and just imagine how terrifying it would be to receive a response from something else out there. Just imagine the overwhelming possibility that contact with an extraterrestrial intelligence could completely destroy us as a culture or entire species, the same way Western explorers destroyed the cultures of the Americas. Hawking is definitely right, "we should keep our heads low."  :-X

Wolv1337

Which obviously isn't the case here... or at least not yet. So it's either poor wording or a clue.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Wolv1337 on Mar 22, 2012, 03:48:06 AM
I'd really like to know what exactly do they mean by 3/5 Cosmic Call 2 "messages received".

I believe that's referring to a confirmation that the system has arrived at it's destination. Not that a reply was actually received.

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 22, 2012, 03:50:47 AM
Not sure what to think of this Cosmic Call stuff possibly being integrated into the plot of PROMETHEUS, but if it's handled right, it could ultimately be one of the scariest things in the film. Set aside Carl Sagan's dewey-eyed, boyish wonder at the heavens for a sec and just imagine how terrifying it would be to receive a response from something else out there. Just imagine the overwhelming possibility that contact with an extraterrestrial intelligence could completely destroy us as a culture or entire species, the same way Western explorers destroyed the cultures of the Americas. Hawking is definitely right, "we should keep our heads low."  :-X

Eh, I think Hawking is a bit of a sensationalist at times. I think it would be a HUGE historical moment, but human beings would probably be too busy questioning intentions, meanings, and things of that nature for our culture or society to collapse.

I don't really see that, honestly. We as a species have pretty much always thought there was something out there. Wanted to believe there other intelligences. I think more than likely it would simply be an affirmation to many.

Cvalda

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 22, 2012, 04:05:54 AM
I don't really see that, honestly. We as a species have pretty much always thought there was something out there. Wanted to believe there other intelligences. I think more than likely it would simply be an affirmation to many.
I meant more if they actually came and made contact with us afterward. Even if they weren't overtly hostile, it would still destroy us, the same way every culture does when it comes into contact with a more "advanced" (read: powerful) civilization here on Earth. It would NOT be good for us, most likely.

correction for the article, the site says Adamantine, not Adamantium.

as for the fact that there are absolutely no androids working in security, perhaps people don't trust them yet?

here are the infographics

http://www.projectprometheus.com/

aliennaire

aliennaire

All destinations of Cosmic Call 2003 might have received the messages, sent from the Earth, by the date, when project Prometheus has been launched, sneak a peek at the charts, column "Arrival says it":

And if to presume, that response might be transmitted back to Earth at the same constant speed, as it was sent initially, only Cassiopeia's answer would have a chance to make its way to us, because in that case reverse transmittion would hit Earth the next years:
Cassiopeia - 69
Orion - 77
Cancer - 85
Andromeda - 85
Ursa Major - 95

So I suspect it's either the responents use another technology in communicating, which bests the speed of light, or some source at Cassiopeia star system managed to retransmit back 3 of 5 parts of our original Cosmic Call 2003 message (DDM2, AM, BM, ESM or PP, as Wikipedia says).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed