New Tv Spots!

Started by Darkoo, May 01, 2012, 07:20:56 PM

Author
New Tv Spots! (Read 137,691 times)

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

It does sound like "die" but who knows, really.

The previous scream we heard was Ripley's dubbed in from the climax of Alien, rather nicely.  I expect the audio in the TV spot is the film audio of Rapace.  And I think it's clear any number of lines, including many of Idris Elba's and Shaw saying "if we don't stop it..." are using several different takes in the promotional material.  Not altered.

Ulfer

Ulfer

QuoteWhy? Because Ridley Scott has waited 30 years to tell the story about 'who was the guy in the chair from ALIEN' and now suddenly that character has halved in size!

But it is not the same character, apparently...  :o ::) ???
In Scott's declaration, he begins to say "who is it ?" but it seems to me that it's in a general sense ; a few sentences latter he already uses "they", which means the Engineers, not the individual we saw in Alien.
Furthemore, before speaking of discrepancies : we've never seen in Alien the un-suited Jockey, so.......  ::)

By the way, I've long noticed all his precautions towards his fans (not a really direct prequel, no titular Aliens directly involved) were for nothing. I take this as a jurisprudence for directors/creators of works of art : eventually, it complicates the situation to try to warns fans that it won't be what they thought it would be...  :-\

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Do we have that little faith in Ridley Scott to think "he messed up the scale" ? Do we think he is that absent minded? Don't you think he went back to some of the original plans of the OT Space Jockey for scale? Isn't it possible that Scott knows what he's doing, and that maybe, just maybe ;) in the next minutes of the milliseconds of scenes that we've scene, all will right itself?

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

My suspicion is pretty simple - an Engineer/jockey of the original size would be perhaps unfeasible to stand and move around on camera in a convincing way, using an assortment of practical effects in addition to CGI.

Therefore, the Engineer is somewhat smaller out of the chair.  But in the chair, as the flight suit grows around it, it becomes much, much larger, because the flight carapace is massive and engulfs the pilot.

Esoteric_Voyage

Esoteric_Voyage

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on May 01, 2012, 11:21:59 PM
Do we have that little faith in Ridley Scott to think "he messed up the scale" ? Do we think he is that absent minded? Don't you think he went back to some of the original plans of the OT Space Jockey for scale? Isn't it possible that Scott knows what he's doing, and that maybe, just maybe ;) in the next minutes of the milliseconds of scenes that we've scene, all will right itself?

entirely possible, as i said in my earlier post, it could get better, or worse.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

The Juggernaut itself appears to have a very biomechanical design to it. That being said, it would make sense that to pilot the ship, they have to connect to it on a biological level. As they connect to it, the ship engulfs the host, to some degree, making up for a difference in size, in and out of the chair.

Esoteric_Voyage

Esoteric_Voyage

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on May 01, 2012, 11:26:54 PM
The Juggernaut itself appears to have a very biomechanical design to it. That being said, it would make sense that to pilot the ship, they have to connect to it on a biological level. As they connect to it, the ship engulfs the host, to some degree, making up for a difference in size, in and out of the chair.

based on the trailer, this makes the host fatter in sizes, coincidently, more elephant built, pudgey. it doesnt make the hosts frame,, anywhere the size of the alien jockey.

NGR01

NGR01

I'm going to speak again (indulge me ^^) about the ENGINEER/HUMAN ENGINEER thing from Prometheus but first about the Space Jockey from ALIEN VS Engineer from PROMETHEUS.
I won't take into account the shots where Scott used his kids to make the set look bigger, i will just take the shots when adults actors are near it.
And when i compare those shots with those from PROMETHEUS (either the helmet or the hologram running toward David for exemples) i must say that Ridley cheated, they are smaller but still giants.
For me it works because you need to have a size that makes the interaction with humans work.
Bigger and we would end up in kin kong zone... I'm exagerating but you see what i mean

Now the Engineer/Human Engineer.
Like i said many times, i never doubted that there is a real Engineer in Prometheus.
A giant humanoid godlike being.

At first when i saw the new image from the tv spot, i was going to say "yep this a giant Engineer, i was wrong about that scene when i said it was a human sized engineer" but then i remembered an almost identical shot where David is kneeling near the navigation console and voila...
BTW i don't see any body laying around but DAVID's bag is there...
Why would an Engineer carry a bag is a mystery to me ;)

But i do have doubt about this scene now.
Wich lead me to think about what Connor O'Sullivan, prosthetic supervisor said in french SFX interview.
He said that the movie has 3 acts and the Engineer meet the humans in act 2.
If that Engineer that takes off is a real one, i guess that the human do succeed in stopping him and then after we get the human Engineer thing...

Yes i still firmly believe in the human Engineer, just look at those 2 images does that look like Ian Whyte giant hands or legs? I don't see it.

:)

Eva

Eva

For those who desire 18 ft/27 ft tall engineers running around in Prometheus, interacting with the humans, coming aboard the their ship/lifeboat:

Approx. 27 / 18 / 9 / 6 ft respectively

The brachiosaurus just underlines how huge 18 & 27 ft really is. It seems some people don't quite realize the implications.

The huge jockey worked beautifully when it was a corpse in a vertical position inside the cinemascope aspect ration. Standing upright - not so much.

PS: Does this thread have to become another jockey size thread? I'm out now  :)

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I hesitate to discuss this as I've been a lurker for awhile, I don't know the etiquette, and I have actually tried to avoid big spoilers (and will step that up come the end of the month).  But based on a scrap of data that got picked up by another site, I can say that I suspect at least one of the live Engineers in the film is the real deal, not a human metamorphosis.  I also know for a fact one person it can't be.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Man this argument takes me back. I was one of the folks raging about the nerfed SJ but the new material shows that there is a heck of a lot of crazy things going on in this film. I am pretty confident that it will all make sense once the credits role, because I also think that there is something that we haven't seen yet.

NGR01

NGR01

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on May 01, 2012, 11:21:59 PM

Dont want to adrees the size thing again but in the SFX interview of Arthur Max and Richard Stammers say that they used high quality picture and miniatures models available in the market to redo the chair.
Not the original plans.

EVA? ;)

Esoteric_Voyage

Esoteric_Voyage

Quote from: Eva on May 01, 2012, 11:33:54 PM
For those who desire 18 ft/27 ft tall engineers running around in Prometheus, interacting with the humans, coming aboard the their ship/lifeboat:

Approx. 27 / 18 / 9 / 6 ft respectively
http://i48.tinypic.com/34j4zkx.jpg

The brachiosaurus just underlines how huge 18 & 27 ft really is. It seems some people don't quite realize the implications.

The huge jockey worked beautifully when it was a corpse in a vertical position inside the cinemascope aspect ration. Standing upright - not so much.

PS: Does this thread have to become another jockey size thread? I'm out now  :)

theres two ways to approach the engineer / jockey size discussion.

perspective one - from the story, the alien, the canon.

perspective two - the director/actors/practical reasons/limitations.

perspective two should be irrelevant to us, the last time i checked it was ridley scott directing and making the film. their supposed to deliver us a canon story to alien right? at least something that will make sense and lend answers to the original.

were really , as viewers, supposed to be concerned with perspective one. but if we insist on perspective two,  then it really boils down to this - did prometheus necessarily have to sacrifice these large differences?  at the amount they did? i doubt it not to this extent. again, consider big 'characters' in films have been achieved, like the queen in Alien (has been framed successfully for shots. there is such things as puppets and models which worked well in alien/aliens. despite cgi achieving better movement in characters, puppets/models at least always look real.  in the end, 18ft, as estimate of the original jockey size, i dont think would be necessary to repeat, but i think 9ft engineer was to small when considering the original. but i guess we'll wait and see what the big picture holds for prometheus (the entire film, its story)

Eva

Eva

Quote from: NGR01 on May 01, 2012, 11:39:55 PM
EVA? ;)

What... what...!? I said I was out (as long as it comes down to a jockey size disussion for the 274th time)  :D

(I am, however, intrigued by the thing inside the red circle...)

It was rumored that Davids head is knocked off in a faceoff with the engineer (mirroring Ash in Alien somewhat), but I don't really think much of this rumor at this time... What do YOU think it could be?  ;)

Mastes1

Mastes1

I suppose the 'Blue man' we keep seeing may not even be a space jockey, maybe we haven't seen the real jockey yet, we can't say for certain. What i do know is saying production and shooting problems is a good enough reason to half the size (at least) of the jockey is a lame and conveniant reason imo, you can't just make changes like that to make it easier, if it wasn't practical to use a full size jockey then they shouldn't of used the jockey at all then and done a different ALIEN story instead, at least we wouldn't have all the 'oh its a suit' crap that destroys the awe and wonder of the space jockey scene in ALIEN.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed