Rebellion's position on further AVP support

Started by [REB]Trigger, Jul 21, 2010, 01:19:06 PM

Author
Rebellion's position on further AVP support (Read 72,672 times)

Adey

you said it right there mate, Sega gave the go ahead to Rebellion to do patches 4 and 5 as long as they used there own money, so why didn't Rebellion use there own money to patch consoles as well?
This is what im getting at, if Rebellion weren't willing to foot the bill for consoles as well as pc then they shouldn't have bothered with extra patches for the pc only as it isn't fair on console players is it?
This is what i blame Rebellion for, the fact Sega said if you want to go ahead with further patches you can do, as long as you use your own money we couldn't give a toss.
Rebellion used there own money but only for pc and not consoles this is why i'm pissed at Rebellion if they weren't prepared to use their own money across all platforms they shouldn't have done extra patches at all.

stemot

There is a difference in releasing a patch for a system where the only incurred costs are those of your development staff and ones where you have to pay not only your development staff but an extra $80,000. Like I said, SEGA still gave the go ahead for the PC patches, without that Rebellion couldn't do shit but Rebellion don't have the funds to pay an additional $80,000 to patch the consoles especially when it's the publishers fault. The only thing Rebellion is at fault for is being a dedicated  developer. Sega is the one who made all the money off the back of the game and Sega are the ones responsible for the support cut off. It's amazing to see how someone could take these facts and turn them around to blame the developer. SEGA has cut the console support, them and them alone are responsible for you not getting additional patch not the dedicated developers who up until SEGA stopped them, where working on the new patch for consoles.

Imp Hunter

So lets see, sega don't want to release console patches 4 & 5 because it costs something like $80,000 dollars to release a single patch to both consoles.  So if this is the case, why oh why did money hungry sega waste $240,000  releasing 3 patches to ps3 and xbox (3 x $80k) when they could have just rolled out a combined patch to encompass 1-3 or 1-5 for consoles?

No sane publisher would release single patches to consoles if that was the case.

This magic $80k number is suspect, and so is the whole situation.

Cover story for "got your monies now off to bank ololol" or truth i dont know.  What i do know is that in future sega and rebellion go into my EA games category, aka wait a few months for a price drop and some patches to make the game playable.

Eldritch

What boggles me is why they even care for such inferior platforms as gaming consoles. It's just stupid.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Lol. Damned if Rebellion do, damned if Rebellion don't. There's just no pleasing folk. Even though I'm not a PC gamer, I can see and admire Rebellion's decision to continue supporting and trying to improve the game. Shows they care. Just a shame Sega doesn't particularly want to give the patches that the community are saying have mostly fixed the game to the other platforms.

Quote from: Eldritch on Aug 01, 2010, 08:28:25 PM
What boggles me is why they even care for such inferior platforms as gaming consoles. It's just stupid.

I'd rather we not have this start again. We all have our preferred platform and we care about them. Leave it at that.

S.Y.L

Quote from: Adey on Jul 31, 2010, 02:18:56 PM
Rebellion should not have done this unless they were prepared to put their own money into the same patches for consoles, cos it is a favour to pc players.

in the interviews between AvPG and rebellion staff it says the Asura engine is cross platform, so basically if the PC patch is ready, so is the console version. The difference is cost of release, which is an area the DEVELOPER is in no way responsible for, that`s down to the PUBLISHER.. as everyone keeps telling you.

Quote from: Adey on Jul 30, 2010, 08:50:49 PM
i know Sega wrote it and they said Rebellion did it with their own resources as a favour to pc players and also as an experiment. How can you not see it was Rebellion who made the decision to do patch 4/5.

explain to me how endeavouring to improve the game and considering user feedback is something to get all pissy about?
your issue is with the platform on which you own the game, which is utterly beyond the developers control.
you could always unbunch your panties, trade in your xbox version and get the pc version?

It's Rebellions fault get over it.

you`re wrong. get over it.

Le Celticant

The problem with both console is that you need to buy both licence to SONY and to MICROSOFT to upload a patch while the game for PC is already registered as a game for steam and they just need to upload it there.
It's a thousands way easier to export for PC and it costs less. It's a marketing choice and Rebellion has nothing to do with it.
In the case both console were using the same licence SONY or MICROSOFT they could probably extend the patch for several month, maybe until the end of this year but it's not the case and SEGA has biggest plan and so they deal with it and has no choice than stopping the support for AVP on consoles.
It's sad for the players, probably, some are against, some favourable, some just don't care, it's life, accept it.
See you on AVP2 or in the next AVP which hopefully will have a SDK and so if the company stop the support the community will extend it.

Anharat

Anharat

Whose fault it is this game isn't getting the support it needs is irrelivent. I think the key parts of that second announcement are:

QuoteWe had no plans to work on another console patch for AvP

Well Rebellion certainly aren't innocent of this fiasco then; they're a profeshional game developer. They must have known the game wasn't mustard. But they didnt plan on even attempting to present anything to sega.

QuotePC update was meant as a favor

So fixing a product which doesnt meet advertised standards is a favor now is it?

Both companies have clearly washed their hands of this game. There won't be anymore patches. There won't be anymore DLC and there definately will not be any SDK.

stemot

Quote from: Anharat on Aug 02, 2010, 06:38:41 PM
Whose fault it is this game isn't getting the support it needs is irrelivent. I think the key parts of that second announcement are:

Well Rebellion certainly aren't innocent of this fiasco then; they're a profeshional game developer. They must have known the game wasn't mustard. But they didnt plan on even attempting to present anything to sega.

QuotePC update was meant as a favor

So fixing a product which doesnt meet advertised standards is a favor now is it?

Both companies have clearly washed their hands of this game. There won't be anymore patches. There won't be anymore DLC and there definately will not be any SDK.

Notice the wording in your first quote, "we" as in SEGA, again, Rebellion was actively working on the console versions until SEGA pulled the plug. I don't think you could be more wrong about Rebellion "washing their hands" of the game, their hands are simply tied. 

newbeing

It is somewhat ridiculous that developers have to pay so much to release patches on consoles. I mean I understand that it deters the developer/publisher from releasing a product with too many bugs, but it totally screws the players in the end because it doesn't allow developers to experiment and further develop and refine mechanics after release.

Anharat

Quote from: stemot on Aug 02, 2010, 06:55:57 PM
Notice the wording in your first quote, "we" as in SEGA, again, Rebellion was actively working on the console versions until SEGA pulled the plug. I don't think you could be more wrong about Rebellion "washing their hands" of the game, their hands are simply tied.
Personally i think the "we" refers to rebellions as a company, as it was rebellion making the statement, and sega don't "work" on patches; they give them the nod and approval. I agree its ambiguous though.

According to your logic however, sega are purely to blame due to unwillingness to fund correct? So that would mean that pc patching, free of corperate cost should definately still continue as the ball is in rebellions court? Sega won't stop a patch that doesnt cost them anything right (patch 4+5?)? Console and PC version are allready unequal so no reason why they wouldnt carry on supporting this game on the PC with patches to address isues. Somehow i get the impression thats not gonna happen.

Insomniac

No, that statement was written by Sega.

Patching PC is not free, it just has no submission/upload cost, it still costs to actually develop the thing.

Anharat

Anharat

Quote from: Insomniac on Aug 03, 2010, 09:10:14 AM
No, that statement was written by Sega.

Patching PC is not free, it just has no submission/upload cost, it still costs to actually develop the thing.
My bad on the first statement

I didnt say it was free, i said free of corperate cost as in the whole sony/microsoft thing. It wouldnt cost sega anything, just rebellion the labour cost of developing a patch, like i said balls in rebellions court, as sega approved patches 4+5

AcidGlow

Where are you getting this number of $80,000 to patch a console game from?  That's an absurd amount for a patch..

Insomniac

Quote from: AcidGlow on Aug 03, 2010, 10:42:25 AM
Where are you getting this number of $80,000 to patch a console game from?  That's an absurd amount for a patch..

$10,000 for each version of the game.
America, Europe, Russia, Poland for both Xbox and PS3.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed