Scott: the evolution of Alien is nearly over.

Started by Ingwar, Oct 06, 2017, 06:42:24 PM

Author
Scott: the evolution of Alien is nearly over. (Read 33,730 times)

monkeylove

Maybe they'll reboot the whole franchise.

Corporal Hicks

I really hope not. I honestly don't mind something like a soft reboot like all the recent films have kind of been. Set in the same universe, out the way and doing their own thing. But you know, just something good.

Ingwar

Fox wouldn't do that, at least as long as Scott lives. I hope they finally realised (did they?) that muddling in franchise wasn't a good idea.

Rudiger

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 02, 2017, 09:28:01 AM
Fox wouldn't do that, at least as long as Scott lives. I hope they finally realised (did they?) that muddling in franchise wasn't a good idea.

Fox execs have been "meddling" with the franchise since the very beginning. Some would argue that it's their job.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 02, 2017, 09:28:01 AM

I have no doubt it'll eventually come down to a reboot eventually.

Kane's other son

There is one fundamental error to this reasoning. Audiences didn't reject Scott's Engineer / David mythology. There's no evidence (the posts of some opinionated hardcore fans are anecdotal, at best).
Audiences just don't care for yet another chestbursting scene. It's more of the same. There are no surprises. The beast is cooked.
If Alien is to survive, it has to move even further into Prometheus territory.

Jonesy1974

There's no evidence that audiences want to go into more Prometheus territory either. That opinion is equally anecdotal.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Kane's other son on Nov 02, 2017, 01:57:24 PM
There is one fundamental error to this reasoning. Audiences didn't reject Scott's Engineer / David mythology. There's no evidence (the posts of some opinionated hardcore fans are anecdotal, at best).
Other than the hard data documenting the film's nosedive at the box office on its second week, you mean:
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/news/a829385/alien-covenant-drops-us-box-office-second-week/

Alien:Covenant's box office figures tell a very simple story: People gave it a chance on its first week, saw how terrible the film is, spread the word and doomed the film's box office chances.

Rudiger

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Nov 02, 2017, 02:35:40 PM
Alien:Covenant's box office figures tell a very simple story: People gave it a chance on its first week, saw how terrible the film is, spread the word and doomed the film's box office chances.

Precisely. None of this is rocket science.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 02, 2017, 03:21:15 PM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Nov 02, 2017, 02:35:40 PM

Precisely. None of this is rocket science.

Not necessarily, the drop off may have happened anyway. I personally just don't think audiences have much of an appetite for sci-fi at the moment.

I cant think of any recent sci-fi movie that has been a BO success.

Rudiger

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Nov 02, 2017, 03:33:08 PM
I cant think of any recent sci-fi movie that has been a BO success.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens springs to mind...

Corporal Hicks

And Rogue One but that's a different story. They're part of an absolutely massive franchise. Other scifis haven't fared as well recently. Life, Valerian, Blade Runner.

TWJones

Arrival did pretty well on a modest budget.

Corporal Hicks

True, true. I forgot about Arrival. Took in around the same amount as most scifi's seem to be recently - 200 million.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Blade Runner 2049 is actually a pretty good example to prove my point: The film might be a flop, but it is still in the domestic top 5 as far as box office is concerned, which tells me that while the film doesn't really have enough of an audience to turn a profit (shouldn't be much of a surprise if you ask me, considering that neither did the original), the people who do see it keep coming back for more. Hell, the film made more on its 4th week than Covenant did on its 2nd week, and Covenant had the stronger box office opening...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed