Fred Dekker Interview (Flashback Files)

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 09, 2022, 08:03:26 AM

Author
Fred Dekker Interview (Flashback Files) (Read 1,911 times)

Corporal Hicks

https://www.flashbackfiles.com/fred-dekker-interview

The Predator comes up. Nothing really new I don't think, but he's not blaming fans of the film's failure here which is nice.

Kradan

You just probably started a fire, Corporal. Good job

skhellter

the autism comment is...

...it really explains how the film got made.

SiL

"I'm not a big fan of this series "

No shit.

Kradan

Lol

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: skhellter on May 09, 2022, 06:25:47 PMthe autism comment is...

...it really explains how the film got made.

It really does.  He still doesn't get what the issue was. It's not that parents have autistic children and that it's really difficult for the parents to have to put up with their kid's autistic ways (how offense is that?!).  I'm autistic myself and what was so offensive about the movie's plot was the implication that something which I struggle to live with would be condescendingly referred to as the next step in human evolution and some kind of super power.  How is a lack of social skills and an aversion to noise and crowds an evolution exactly?

The movie wants to treat those with autism as different and "special".  It was the disability version of the Magical Negro trope and the same thing that the awful Ricky Gervais series Derek did with the titular character - I refer to it as the Magical Mong trope (the use of that word being ironic, in the same way that the latter word in "Magical Negro" is used to highlight the offensive nature of the trope itself).  As an autistic person, I'd sooner be treated as an equal, rather than be put on a pedestal and something for the "norms" to coo at.

Some Old Dude

In fairness Fred Dekker always came off as a bit of a dickhead in interviews to me even before The Predator. Dude just seems bitter his career never took off.

The Shuriken

Quote from: SiL on May 09, 2022, 08:01:48 PM"I'm not a big fan of this series "

No shit.

No better way to cruise missile a movie franchise than hiring someone, who isn't a fan, to an important role.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Shuriken on May 11, 2022, 12:13:59 AM
Quote from: SiL on May 09, 2022, 08:01:48 PM"I'm not a big fan of this series "

No shit.

No better way to cruise missile a movie franchise than hiring someone, who isn't a fan, to an important role.

Exactly what I was thinking.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Shuriken on May 11, 2022, 12:13:59 AMNo better way to cruise missile a movie franchise than hiring someone, who isn't a fan, to an important role.

I disagree that a writer of a sequel needs to be a fan of the franchise.  In fact I think that being a fan is often a hindrance because the movie tends to end up being a 'member berries fest, full of pandering fan service and like a live action version of a child playing with their action figures.  However, I do think it's important that a writer for a sequel has a certain amount of respect and knowledge of the franchise their working within.  It seems that Dekker didn't respect the franchise.  That's the issues, not that he wasn't a raving fanboy.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 11, 2022, 05:44:27 PMHowever, I do think it's important that a writer for a sequel has a certain amount of respect and knowledge of the franchise their working within.  It seems that Dekker didn't respect the franchise.  That's the issues, not that he wasn't a raving fanboy.

I completely agree here. I think this is the crux of it. You 100% don't need to be an avid fan, but you have to understand and respect the franchise you're playing with most importantly.

SiL

You need to have a respect for the people who do enjoy it as a bare minimum. Dekker did not.

The Shuriken

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 11, 2022, 05:44:27 PM
Quote from: The Shuriken on May 11, 2022, 12:13:59 AMNo better way to cruise missile a movie franchise than hiring someone, who isn't a fan, to an important role.

I disagree that a writer of a sequel needs to be a fan of the franchise.  In fact I think that being a fan is often a hindrance because the movie tends to end up being a 'member berries fest, full of pandering fan service and like a live action version of a child playing with their action figures.  However, I do think it's important that a writer for a sequel has a certain amount of respect and knowledge of the franchise their working within.  It seems that Dekker didn't respect the franchise.  That's the issues, not that he wasn't a raving fanboy.

I will shamelessly admit I would take 10 memberberrie Predator movies over...whatever the f**k The Predator was supposed be (besides a embarrassment).

Voodoo Magic

I was saying to the guys before, Fred seems to even lean in saying the first film was special mostly due to its soundtrack. I have no qualms with someone feeling that way, and I won't deny scores like Jaws, Star Wars, Back to the Future, etc., etc.  elevates the material, but if you don't personally understand how a popular film intrinsically captivates so many, dude, you're not the guy for the job.

426Buddy

QuoteTHE PREDATOR got some flak for portraying autism as the next step in human evolution. Was there any discussion between you and Shane Black or with the studio about the possibility of getting into trouble with that storyline?

That's a good question. Now we are living on Planet Woke and everything is inappropriate. But back then that hadn't quite happened yet. Let's put it like this: if we were writing that now, I'm sure the studio would be much more johnny-on-the-spot about it. Shane and I asked ourselves: What if being on the spectrum means you are actually evolving as a human being? What I've learned since, is that people who have autistic children don't think very much of that idea. They have to live with their child. But at the time the studio didn't even blink.

As a father of a child on the spectrum I want to say that this exchange was painfully cringe inducing and ignorant.

You can also tell he has not educated himself at all regarding why the portrayal is so problematic. He only learned that parents of people with Autism didn't like it. Then he also seems to put it on the studio for not stopping them, f*cking sad.

Can't believe I was ever a fan of this dude.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed