"Walter’s More of a Straightforward Robot" - Michael Fassbender Talks Alien: Covenant's New Synthetic

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 13, 2016, 11:28:27 PM

Author
"Walter’s More of a Straightforward Robot" - Michael Fassbender Talks Alien: Covenant's New Synthetic (Read 20,580 times)

Corporal Hicks

Michael Fassbender talks Alien: Covenant’s new synthetic with Coming Soon. Coming Soon spoke to Michael Fassbender whilst he was doing the press rounds for Assassin’s Creed – due out next week and suspected to be the film Alien: Covenant’s trailer will be attached to in the theatres – and took the opportunity to ask how Alien: Covenant’s new android, Walter, and David differed:

“I think Walter's a real different kettle of fish. David was definitely a work-in-progress, somewhat of a prototype I suppose. The elements of him that were the human elements I think people found a little disturbing, so Walter's more of a straightforward robot. Pretty logical, much more of a servant without the ego.”

Michael Fassbender talks Alien: Covenant's new synthetic with Coming Soon. Fassbender is seen here on the set of Alien: Covenant as Walter.

Michael Fassbender talks Alien: Covenant’s new synthetic with Coming Soon. Fassbender is seen here on the set of Alien: Covenant as Walter.

Unfortunately, they don’t go into more detail with him. Michael Fassbender has only recently revealed that his second synthetic character would be named Walter and Alien vs. Predator Galaxy had some small additional details to share about Walter.

Walter is distrustful of David 8 because the older model has gone without any form of maintenance or upgrades during the ten year interval he has been in isolation between the Prometheus incident and the Covenant crew making landfall on the supposed paradise planet that Alien: Covenant takes place on.

Stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien: Covenant! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

BonesawT101

This confirms what I had been thinking about how Walter would differ from David. It's going to be really interesting to see how the two interact.

Pvt. Himmel

echobbase79

Having two different synthetics should create a sense of uncertainty of which one to trust for the audience.

So I guess Walter must be a prelude of some kind to future Kane models?

Scorpio

It's like if Bishop met Ash, just what I hoped.  "The U2's always were a bit twitchy"

DorkiDori

Well it seems David was programmed negating the 3 rules of robotics (even Bishop IMPLIED he had them during his meeting of Ripley in Aliens)

BringbackJonesy!

I see that Walter is dark-haired, while David had a lighter hair color even before he dyed it blonde.

But as we haven't seen any behind-the-scenes shots of David yet, I wonder if he has gone 'native' on the 'Paradise' planet...and is now bald?!  ;D

whiterabbit

This could end up being a who's who kind of thing. To which if Fassbender can pull it off; would probably get him an Oscar nod.

It would also make a terrific ending if David eliminates and replaces Walter as head robot aboard the Covenant. Like how Ash replaced the science officer aboard the Nostromo... hint, hint.

newagescamartist

newagescamartist

Something tells me that Walter and David are not going to get along, but I guess that's too obvious.

I could even see David antagonizing Walter in a similar fashion to how Holloway antagonized him.

Kimo

Wonder why they went straight to W for Walter's name, then giving him a name that starts with a letter E to continue the alphabet tradition of naming the robots in the Alien universe?  Unless if one of the other crew of the Covenant is a robot and name starts with a E? Or the tradition don't count for Walter since fassbender is basically playing 2 robot roles? Anyhow I think Walter will be more like Bishop without flaws. But hope we get to see both interact with each other and see if David trys to break Walter's code.

skhellter

Quote from: Kimo on Dec 14, 2016, 12:04:49 PM
Wonder why they went straight to W for Walter's name, then giving him a name that starts with a letter E to continue the alphabet tradition of naming the robots in the Alien universe?

David Giler
Walter Hill

ring a bell?

Infected

That David, im really looking forward to see what they are going to do with this maniac robot,
because when i look at it, David scares me more then anything outthere.

Corporal Hicks

David is really the star and main interest of these prequels.

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 14, 2016, 12:17:52 PM
Wonder why they went straight to W for Walter's name, then giving him a name that starts with a letter E to continue the alphabet tradition of naming the robots in the Alien universe?

David Giler
Walter Hill

ring a bell?

I really hope that this was a deliberate pattern. I'm dying for someone to ask Scott or Logan or whoever.

whiterabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 14, 2016, 12:35:36 PM
David is really the star and main interest of these prequels.

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 14, 2016, 12:17:52 PM

David Giler
Walter Hill

ring a bell?

I really hope that this was a deliberate pattern. I'm dying for someone to ask Scott or Logan or whoever.
It is possible that another 18 (E-V) David08's could also be aboard the ship. A battle royal against the Neomorphs. Yea and Fassbender plays all 20 of them.  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed