Does the Alien ever kill Joes?

Started by Xenoscream, Oct 21, 2014, 01:15:29 PM

Author
Does the Alien ever kill Joes? (Read 2,555 times)

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

There are a few examples of Joes which look like they have been killed by the Alien, but I never actually saw this happen, and in fact I'm pretty sure I've seen the Alien walk right past them.

PsyKore

PsyKore

He seems to always ignore them.

Would be cool if he did kill them, however, or at least knock them out of his way or something.

Le Celticant

Haven't seen that but I'll try to run some test and see if you can trigger the alien to hunt you and hide behind a joe close enough to see if he grabs it instead of you.
That worked with the humans so maybe there's a possibility it works by mistakes on Joe.

gabgrave

gabgrave

Quote from: Le Celticant on Oct 21, 2014, 03:21:52 PM
Haven't seen that but I'll try to run some test and see if you can trigger the alien to hunt you and hide behind a joe close enough to see if he grabs it instead of you.
That worked with the humans so maybe there's a possibility it works by mistakes on Joe.
Doesn't work. It just goes into the grab animation with the Joe standing behind it. Never saw a Joe getting attacked by an Alien, only by humans.

Le Celticant

Quote from: gabgrave on Oct 21, 2014, 03:26:20 PM
Doesn't work. It just goes into the grab animation with the Joe standing behind it. Never saw a Joe getting attacked by an Alien, only by humans.

Sounds pretty logical, they may even have scripted both joe and alien to be in the same team to simplify the code since both attacks player and humans.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Le Celticant on Oct 21, 2014, 03:28:46 PM

Sounds pretty logical, they may even have scripted both joe and alien to be in the same team to simplify the code since both attacks player and humans.
Apart from the Queen, we've never seen any malicious intentions of Aliens against droids in the movies, so this isn't that big of a deal. Right?

Huol

Huol

Wasn't there a scene in the script of Aliens where Bishop gets attacked crawling down the tunnel? I remember in the novelization he assumes it was just keying in on movement or something since it ignores him afterwards.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Oct 21, 2014, 03:50:20 PM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Oct 21, 2014, 03:28:46 PM

Apart from the Queen, we've never seen any malicious intentions of Aliens against droids in the movies, so this isn't that big of a deal. Right?

It's not a big deal but it would just be interesting to see occasionally. I don't think the Alien should actively hunt them down like with humans, but if an android happens to be in the wrong place, then I don't see why an Alien wouldn't kill it.

Tomar

Tomar

Aliens are as much organical lifeforms as every other species in the universe probably could be ;).

With that in mind even if we do not know the Alien physiology it could be so that Aliens do not waste "their energy" on things that are not really a threat for them (attack them) or in any way useful to them (for breeding new Aliens/nourishment), but who knows so ;) ... .

Its not a dealbreaker for me and i am fully okay with it but i agree it could be cool to somewhat occassionally see the Alien punch the synthetic with his tail away to get you ;) (however those animations and logic need more work behind it so i understand to not see it ingame).

As usual my 3 cents ... .

Xhan

Xhan

They're flagged as a separate class that doesn't have the right dependencies, but they aren't on the same tam as the Alien I think, have to go back and look, but humans and synths are on completely different "teams" for sure.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huol on Oct 21, 2014, 04:19:13 PMWasn't there a scene in the script of Aliens where Bishop gets attacked crawling down the tunnel? I remember in the novelization he assumes it was just keying in on movement or something since it ignores him afterwards.

Yes. One lunges at him through a crack in the pipe but when he freezes it loses interest. Apparently it can tell he's machinery rather than a baby-oven.

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

It's not a deal breaker for me but I think it would be nice to see the Alien smack Joe's out of the way or just rip them apart if they are in the way. I don't think Aliens would just completely ignore synthetics, if anything he would want to kill them as they make noise and could distract him from real prey.

szkoki

szkoki

didnt bother me. was cool. its like the joes are like other machines on the station

Ghostface

Ghostface

What is cool is the Joe's talking to the Alien.

"What are you?"

Space Voyager

Space Voyager

The queen DID tear Bishop into pieces...

EDIT
Quote from: Salt The Fries on Oct 21, 2014, 03:50:20 PM
Sorry, didn't notice this the first time, so it has been noted. Not that big a deal, but IMO Aliens would not tolerate anything sentient moving around them. It is interesting that they can differentiate between an android and an elevator though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed